GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- Honda Motor Co.'s U.S. manufacturing arm made its 10-millionth vehicle Tuesday, roughly two decades after it became the first Japanese automaker to start U.S. production.

Japan's No. 2 automaker said the specific model wasn't certain because the company had assembly lines running in Ohio at Marysville and East Liberty and in Alabama at Lincoln.

The milestone vehicle could have been an Odyssey minivan, Element crossover vehicle or Accord or Acura TL sedan.

"This milestone is based upon the achievement of the associates in our plants who challenge themselves every day to meet the high expectations of our customers," said Koki Hirashima, president of Honda of America Manufacturing Inc.

Honda of America began production near Marysville in 1982. The company has sold more than 20 million Honda and Acura vehicles in the United States.

Toyota Motor Co.p., Japan's largest automaker, began U.S. production in 1986 in a joint venture with General Motors Corp. A Toyota spokesman said the company has produced roughly 9.8 million vehicles in the United States.

Last week, Ford Motor Co. said it produced its 300-millionth vehicle worldwide since beginning production 100 years ago.

Honda began building the Accord, one of America's top-selling vehicles, at Marysville on Nov. 1, 1982. Seven years later the company opened another plant in nearby East Liberty and followed those in 2001 with a manufacturing facility in Alabama.

Full Story HERE

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
So how much profit taken back to Japan does that make? ;)

Maybe GM should relocate its headquarters in Tokyo so it can take advantage of the Yen to Dollar rate.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Producing light vehicles in North America (sorry, going off the top of my head):

Toyota:
Georgetown (KY)
Princeton (IN)
Cambridge (Ontario)
Fremont (CA), NUMMI joint-venture with GM

Honda:
Marysville (OH)
East Liberty (OH)
Lincoln (AL)
Alliston (Ontario)
Guadulajara (Mexico)

GM:
Arlington (TX)
Baltimore (MD)
Bowling Green (KY)
Doraville (GA)
Fairfax (KS)
Flint (MI)
Ft Wayne (IN)
Hamtramck (MI)
Janesville (WI)
Lansing (MI), two plants
Lansing Craft Centre (MI)
Lansing Grand River (MI)
Linden (NJ)
Moraine (OH)
Oklahoma City (OK)
Orion (MI)
Oshawa (Ontario), three plants
Pontiac (MI)
Ramos Arizpe (Mexico)
Shreveport (LA)
Silao (Mexico)
Spring Hill (TN)
Toluca (Mexico)
Wilmington (DE)
Fremont (CA) NUMMI joint-venture with Toyota
Ingersoll (Ontario) CAMI joint-venture with Suzuki

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't forget the Wentzville plant (outside of St. Louis). I think they produce commerical vans there.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Dec 3 2003, 04:45 PM
Don't forget the Wentzville plant (outside of St. Louis). I think they produce commerical vans there.
Yep - the Chevy Express and GMC Savana, I believe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts