GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Passes Chrysler as Asia Brands Widen U.S. Share

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co. passed Chrysler LLC in August to grab fourth place in U.S. auto sales this year as cars won market share from trucks amid an industrywide slump.

Asia-based brands, led by Nissan Motor Co.'s 14 percent gain, raised their share of August U.S. sales to 47.3 percent, beating General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler for a fourth month, research firm Autodata Corp. said yesterday. While Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda fell, they dropped less than the U.S. trio.

Tokyo-based Honda may keep the No. 4 spot as a sluggish economy and fuel prices crimp demand for the light trucks that make up more than half of Chrysler's volume. Honda's 2008 U.S. sales are up 1.7 percent, while Chrysler's are down 24 percent.

``Honda and Nissan will likely be the only big automakers that post positive numbers in the U.S. for the calendar year,'' said Jesse Toprak, director of industry analysis for automotive research firm Edmunds.com in Santa Monica, California. ``In this kind of economy, with double-digit sales declines for the industry, any kind of gain is a good one.''

Honda rose 3.1 percent to 3,640 yen at the close of trading in Tokyo. Toyota gained 0.4 percent to 4,870 yen, while Nissan slipped 0.8 percent to 830 yen.

Japanese, Korean Brands

U.S. auto sales slid for a 10th straight month, pushing the industry toward its lowest annual total since the early 1990s. The 15 percent tumble included a 22 percent drop for light trucks, according to Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Autodata.

Japanese and South Korean automakers, which are more focused on cars, slid only 5.1 percent from a year earlier as they sold a combined 591,260 vehicles last month. Their U.S. market share was 42.2 percent in August 2007.

Honda, Japan's second-largest automaker, sold 1.083 million autos in the U.S. through August, compared with 1.076 million for Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler. Honda has increased annual U.S. sales every year since 1994, the longest streak of any of the big automakers. The carmaker's Fit compact also topped Japan sales last month.

Chrysler held a 352,704-unit lead in August 2007, when it was acquired by Cerberus Capital Management LP. Toyota took the No. 3 spot from Chrysler in 2006, then passed Ford last year. Detroit-based GM leads in U.S. sales.

Nissan's sales gain was its fifth advance this year and the only one among the six biggest automakers in the U.S. in August. Its increase was led by the revamped Maxima sedan and new Rogue crossover, general manager of Nissan brand sales Al Castignetti said in a telephone interview yesterday.

``There's no change in the move to smaller, more fuel- efficient models,'' he said.

Nissan's increase boosted its market share to 8.7 percent last month, a 2.2-point improvement, according to Autodata. Nissan is sixth in the U.S. by sales volume.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=anS5a7Btk8AE

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Wow... Did anyone ever think 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago, hell before it became clear that the Germans didn't know what the hell they were doing with MoPar (years ago), that Honda would ever surpass one of the "Big 3" in terms of market share?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Yeah I hadn't seen this posted at GM Inside News, but I didn't want to be the one to post it. It's surprising to say the least to me....Honda doesn't even offer a true "full line" of cars.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Because you don't need a "full line". You need a line full of cars people want.

BTW, Chrysler doesn't have it all either. Subcompact? Coupe? (Sebring cc does not count). Their "luxury" car starts @ 25K.

Oh, and I hate those articles full of blabber that won't provide a simple table. I don't care for commentary, I can comment on it myself - I want data!!!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Because you don't need a "full line". You need a line full of cars people want.
That seems easy to say now that Honda has done it....I'm saying I didn't see this coming....and odds are most people didn't either.

BTW, Chrysler doesn't have it all either. Subcompact? Coupe? (Sebring cc does not count). Their "luxury" car starts @ 25K.
Yes, well the lack of subcompact actually really hurts them, hell their "compact" is a joke of a car too. What do you call the Challenger? Is that not a coupe? Or is it a 2-door sedan? And the lack of a luxury car isn't directly hurting them either....Honda sales up....Acura sales down. Food for thought, or commentary for thought. ;) :lmao:

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Oh crap, I completely forgot about the Challenger, mostly because 1) it's large 2) it is actually a good car.

Acura does not perform too well, that's true, but in general it is hard to say one has a "full lineup" when it ends with a vehicle like Chrysler 300, which can be had for midsize money.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Chrysler should just bring the Neon back as it was with a revamped interior.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Oh crap, I completely forgot about the Challenger, mostly because 1) it's large 2) it is actually a good car.

Acura does not perform too well, that's true, but in general it is hard to say one has a "full lineup" when it ends with a vehicle like Chrysler 300, which can be had for midsize money.
Wouldn't Acura sales be included in Honda's 3% rise and overall market share? I mean, when we say Chrysler, we mean Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and Ford is Ford/Lincoln/Mercury and GM is... you get the picture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No surprise here. Chryslers vehicles are out of touch reality and most "volume" models carry a high Tupperware content.

I think they finally realized that plastic isnt selling, given the new 2009 Ram. I hope that transfers on to the other brands and models.

Ever driven or Seen a Caliber on the inside? Open up the rear hatch: 100% ugly cheap plastic! Really what were these guys thinking? :confused:

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Wow... Did anyone ever think 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago, hell before it became clear that the Germans didn't know what the hell they were doing with MoPar (years ago), that Honda would ever surpass one of the "Big 3" in terms of market share?
I'm not Nostradamus but I could think then the next-gen Honda Accord will be even more bigger, longer and wider. And there long rumored planned V10 for Acura might see the day despite CAFE.

On a more serious side and on the other hand. Honda had focused (and relied) a lot on North American while worldwide Hyundai is now ahead of them. Maybe on the more long-term, this strategy might play against them despite recent investments in China and India.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not Nostradamus but I could think then the next-gen Honda Accord will be even more bigger, longer and wider. And there long rumored planned V10 for Acura might see the day despite CAFE.

On a more serious side and on the other hand. Honda had focused (and relied) a lot on North American while worldwide Hyundai is now ahead of them. Maybe on the more long-term, this strategy might play against them despite recent investments in China and India.
I wish we could go back to the 80's Accords, when they were actually small, sorta sporty cars. The current Accords and Camries are way too big and bloated. Bloat mobiles, if you will.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

Challenger won't affect anything until dealers stop asking for 15K-20K over MSRP for them. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wish we could go back to the 80's Accords, when they were actually small, sorta sporty cars. The current Accords and Camries are way too big and bloated. Bloat mobiles, if you will.
or the AE 86 Corolla. Anything after that is not worth driving. and i liked the pop up headlights on the 80s accord.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

Considering how Chryler was zipping along before the take over by Mercedes-Benz it is a little shocking. Hits like Cab Forward design and Avant Guard styling seem like a long time ago. Chrysler really lost its mojo.

Looking at the product they put out lately.... Nope, this isn't surprising.

What is surprising how utterly cheap looking many of their vehicles have become after making such progress.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts