GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this article via a post on Allpar forums. Honda Open to Alliances, Partnerships Under New CEO

Honda has confirmed what Reuters reported all along: they will have a new CEO. Toshihiro Mibe, currently the company’s head of automotive research and development will succeed Takahiro Hachigo as President and Representative Director from April 1, and Representative Executive Officer (CEO) by June.

During the approximately six years since he ascended to the presidency in 2015, in the face of a period of great transformation of the company’s business environment, Hachigo (lead photo, right) took the initiative and formulated Honda’s 2030 Vision to enable Honda to become “a company society wants to exist” into the future. For the fulfilment of the company’s 2030 Vision statement – “to serve people worldwide with the joy of expanding their life’s potential” – Hachigo led Team Honda on a course to “solidify existing businesses” and “prepare for future growth.”

Under Hachigo’s leadership, Honda has increased efficiency and strengthened its operating structure in the areas of production and product development. Moreover, by pursuing the “selection and concentration” of its corporate resources on a global basis, a solid foundation for the future was established, preparing Honda to take off in the new era.

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
Under Hachigo’s leadership, Honda has increased efficiency and strengthened its operating structure in the areas of production and product development. Moreover, by pursuing the “selection and concentration” of its corporate resources on a global basis, a solid foundation for the future was established, preparing Honda to take off in the new era.

First, sounds like a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo with colorful language that really says to me "we haven't done jack to prepare for the future and now need a partner". If a "solid foundation for the future was established" then why do they need partners?

Today's Honda does not seem to be anything like the hungry Honda of the 1980s and 1990s, a Honda that seemed unstoppable. They seemed to have lost their focus, or, perhaps they couldn't change their focus. They were in their heyday when sporty handling and zippy engines were all the rage - zippy small cars aren't what the market wants anymore. Perhaps Honda doesn't know how to provide what the customer wants anymore???

Not that Honda is falling apart - they certainly have strong sales and a great reputation. They just no longer seem to be head and shoulders above the rest, they seem to be the same as the rest....

·
Premium Member
33,328 Posts

First, sounds like a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo with colorful language that really says to me "we haven't done jack to prepare for the future and now need a partner". If a "solid foundation for the future was established" then why do they need partners?

Today's Honda does not seem to be anything like the hungry Honda of the 1980s and 1990s, a Honda that seemed unstoppable. They seemed to have lost their focus, or, perhaps they couldn't change their focus. They were in their heyday when sporty handling and zippy engines were all the rage - zippy small cars aren't what the market wants anymore. Perhaps Honda doesn't know how to provide what the customer wants anymore???

Not that Honda is falling apart - they certainly have strong sales and a great reputation. They just no longer seem to be head and shoulders above the rest, they seem to be the same as the rest....
Honda‘s hands are tied now to one alliance for North America , mother Barrah is dancing around holding their proverbial bolls, pret certain unless GM legal is like GM marketing, Honda is not free to go around allying with everyone when closely allied to GM

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
Honda‘s hands are tied now to one alliance for North America , mother Barrah is dancing around holding their proverbial bolls, pret certain unless GM legal is like GM marketing, Honda is not free to go around allying with everyone when closely allied to GM
Hopefully! GM still has the reputation it earned in the 1980s, alliances with Honda can only help their image. And even better if Honda needs to get tech FROM GM. Though Honda has invested in some of this tech with GM, so it isn't totally all GM.

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
As a refresher, Honda's partnership with GM is EV/Battery tech, right?
I think they also have something going on with hydrogen too.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts

Honda invested in and continues to collaborate with Cruise too.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
33,328 Posts

Actually, GM is growing its supplier business , Honda is just one customer

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
Only if you're standing in the year 1991.
Sadly, that's where a lot of people still are. My father-in-law would rather walk than buy a GM. There are still a lot of people out there that were burned by Detroit and teaching their kids all about it.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,166 Posts

The official presser mentions sharing vehicle platforms including "internal combustion propulsion systems":

Is it possible "internal combustion propulsion systems" relates only to hydrogen or does it also mean regular gas ICE? Not sure.

They call it a "North American automotive alliance" covering "a range of vehicles to be sold under each company’s distinct brands."

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,720 Posts
The official presser mentions sharing vehicle platforms including "internal combustion propulsion systems":

Is it possible "internal combustion propulsion systems" relates only to hydrogen or does it also mean regular gas ICE? Not sure.

They call it a "North American automotive alliance" covering "a range of vehicles to be sold under each company’s distinct brands."
That last part sounds both interesting and promising to me.

·
Premium Member
33,328 Posts
I don get why people don’t realize that North American is the toughest automotive market and most profitable, GM has kept market leadership here. They have to be doing something right. It’s not like others have not tried to take them down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts