GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,338 Posts
Any company guilty of hiding deaths and serious accidents should be vilified in the press. As much of a GM fan that I am, they got what they deserved. Without the press doing what they did would allow GM to get off for "free". I don't understand why Honda is getting away with it, the press needs to beat up Honda more. Sadly it's a perfect Japanese company that does no wrong.....

Just amazes me how the media can't wait to tear apart a home team but barely gives a foreign company a second thought.

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
The Honda complaints include incidents related to air bags made by Japanese auto supplier Takata Corp., as well as other defective parts. Honda has recalled more than 5 million vehicles in the U.S. since 2008 to fix a potentially fatal defect in Takata-made air bags. The air bag inflators can rupture after a crash and injure occupants with shards of metal.

Honda has agreed to pay the fines under a consent order it signed with the traffic safety administration on Dec. 29, federal officials said. But officials said they have not yet received all the complaints from Honda and therefore don't have a tally of how many deaths and injuries are involved.

"We have resolved this matter and will move forward to build on the important actions Honda has already taken to address our past shortcomings in early warning reporting," Rick Schostek, executive vice president of Honda North America Inc., said in a statement.

The company blamed the omissions on "errors related to data entry, computer coding, regulatory interpretation, and other errors in warranty and property damage claims reporting."

Until we start prosecuting and sending to prison, this will continue. Not some flunky. The decisionators.

As with all miscreants, when there is no real consequence for bad behavior, that behavior will continue.
Why shouldn't it?

These fines will not even come out of any Honda exec's pocket. Of course.

This is a dance, between the feds and the makers. The feds do the same thing, see the VA scandal, Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome, and on and on.
Some agency gets fined and pays some other agency. Where do the agency funds come from? Hmmmm.

Reactions: paul8488

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any company guilty of hiding deaths and serious accidents should be vilified in the press. As much of a GM fan that I am, they got what they deserved. Without the press doing what they did would allow GM to get off for "free". I don't understand why Honda is getting away with it, the press needs to beat up Honda more. Sadly it's a perfect Japanese company that does no wrong.....

Just amazes me how the media can't wait to tear apart a home team but barely gives a foreign company a second thought.
i was vilified for bring this up a month go..... imaging that.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...t-reaches-38-a-189153/index2.html#post4527561

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Until we start prosecuting and sending to prison, this will continue. Not some flunky. The decisionators.

As with all miscreants, when there is no real consequence for bad behavior, that behavior will continue.
Why shouldn't it?
Well said. We're teaching companies to push as far as they can and still get away with it.

If my 110 year old grandmother dies and I don't report it, do you think I'd not be punished if I explained that I asked AskJeeves and he told me not to bother, and anyways, my mom was using the phone so I couldn't dial-up AOL?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
"...and another $35 million for not reporting the warranty and customer satisfaction claims."

No mention of what the warranty claims were. I was considering purchasing an Accord V6 coupe until I read of all the premature engine failures of their VVT V6 and a class-action lawsuit that Honda quietly settled.

And it ticks me off that an article about Honda's problems has to end on a "...oh, yeah, but GM..." note!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Anyone who's ever done business with a Japanese company will know that when it's your fault, they're all over you and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops. When it's their fault, it's hushed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts