GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I insist it's not. I read two articles by Car and Driver magazine where they claim that the Honda CRV has "telepathic steering," and here was the quote: "We loved the CR-V’s dead-accurate, telepathic steering, even though it was a titch heavier than the Toyota’s."
I went on further to ask Car and Driver editors if Honda offers a Ouiji Board as standard or optional equipment along with that standard telepathic steering rack. I returned later an noted they banned my IP address for some reason.

Then later, when they compared the Accord, Malibu and Nissan, they again made the claim that seems straight out of a call to the Psychic Hotline: They said of the Honda's Highs, "Highs: Telepathic interplay among chassis, engine, and transmission."
So now they're insisting that there's telepathy going on between mechanical sub-assemblies in an automobile.
Is this even possible? I mean, I remember watching an episode of Ripley's Believe it or Not where there was this man who allegedly could use telepathy to bend spoons by the sheer force of his mind but was later found to be a fraud. Could Honda's alleged telepathy likewise be fraudulent? Or is this a case for MIT scientists to investigate?

Should I go back to Car and Driver forums and attempt to ask the editors if the Accord offers a crystal ball or similar psychic equipment as standard (OR EVEN OPTIONAL) equipment?
IMPORT FANBOYS HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Car and driver has some amazing stuff. I just feel sorry for the people who actaully pay for the magazine. Autoblog may be more useful then caranddriver.com

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I don't think you need to take it that literally.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I think by telepathic they mean that the components feel so well connected it's like the connection isn't there.
No thanks, I like being connected to the car and the road.

Out of context, if someone said a vehicle had "telepathic" steering I'd think it was really numb and like overboosted, say like a '93 Buick Lesabre

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
No thanks, I like being connected to the car and the road.

Out of context, if someone said a vehicle had "telepathic" steering I'd think it was really numb and like overboosted, say like a '93 Buick Lesabre
To me, saying that my vehicles components have telepathy would be the ultimate compliment. But hey, that's just me understanding the definition of the word. (insert sarcastic poke icon that makes that entire post a joke so that you don't get mad at me for being a **** here)

5,934 Posts
Choice of adjective is crucial for these guys. Whenever I read a review, 1). it's not going to get me to buy or not buy the product, and 2). I pay attention to which adjectives they choose to use.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think by telepathic they mean that the components feel so well connected it's like the connection isn't there.
Now Car and Driver said that there's telepathic interplay between the steering rack, engine and transmission in the Honda Accord. If you're correct, then that means Car and Driver editors aren't aware that there's a mechanical connection between these three.
For example, it may seem as if there's a telepathic connection when one depresses a gas petal and the car he's in scoots forward. But in reality, it's not telepathy at all. It's a mechanical device called a torque converter that sits between the engine and transmission that achieves this act of "telepathy". Gear shift sensors and the gas petal cable help. It's not telepathy at all, it's mechanics: the Great Miracle of the Industrial Revolution.

Likewise, when Car and Driver editors -- in their wealth of automotive knowledge -- claimed that the Honda CRV has a telepathic steering column, they did not know there is a mechanical linkeage that connects the steering wheel that's in their hands to the two front tires that steer the vehicle. When the Car and Driver editors turn the steering wheel and the car likewise turns in the direction the wheel is pointed, it may seem as if an act of telepathy is involved ("Mr. Csaba Csere, when I turn this steering wheel, the car miraculously turns in the same direction as the wheel. Remarkeable, don't you think?!" "Indeed. It's like it's telepathic or something, Patrick!"), but what's actually happening is there's actually a mechanical -- not telepathic -- linkeage system that ties the steering wheel to the front tires. This linkeage system is called a rack & pinion steering rack.

Import fanboys, do you think there's a way you guys can go over there and educate the editors of that magazine? I have already tried and they repaid me with an IP ban.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought it was weird too when I first heard that term. It means that if they close their eyes and keep the wheel at center, they will know where the vehicle will go as the vehicle doesn't move right or left when at center.
You're describing something called, "on-center feel", not "telepathic steering racks", chevyrules.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're describing something called, "feather-light steering" and not a "telepathic steering rack," mr.burns.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honda has a secret step in their assembly process that activates the telepathy. I mean duh. Everyone knows that.
This post reads as if it came straight from the Senior Editor of Car and Driver Patrick Bedard himself.
There is no telepathy involved at all! Steering is done with an engineering miracle called the steering rack!
Please, people.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Now Car and Driver said that there's telepathic interplay between the steering rack, engine and transmission in the Honda Accord. If you're correct, then that means Car and Driver editors aren't aware that there's a mechanical connection between these three.
For example, it may seem as if there's a telepathic connection when one depresses a gas petal and the car he's in scoots forward. But in reality, it's not telepathy at all. It's a mechanical device called a torque converter that sits between the engine and transmission that achieves this act of "telepathy". Gear shift sensors and the gas petal cable help. It's not telepathy at all, it's mechanics: the Great Miracle of the Industrial Revolution.

Likewise, when Car and Driver editors -- in their wealth of automotive knowledge -- claimed that the Honda CRV has a telepathic steering column, they did not know there is a mechanical linkeage that connects the steering wheel that's in their hands to the two front tires that steer the vehicle. When the Car and Driver editors turn the steering wheel and the car likewise turns in the direction the wheel is pointed, it may seem as if an act of telepathy is involved ("Mr. Csaba Csere, when I turn this steering wheel, the car miraculously turns in the same direction as the wheel. Remarkeable, don't you think?!" "Indeed. It's like it's telepathic or something, Patrick!"), but what's actually happening is there's actually a mechanical -- not telepathic -- linkeage system that ties the steering wheel to the front tires. This linkeage system is called a rack & pinion steering rack.

Import fanboys, do you think there's a way you guys can go over there and educate the editors of that magazine? I have already tried and they repaid me with an IP ban.
That's weird that you say it doesn't exist, my Monte Carlo came equipped from the factory with Chevrolet's 5JZ "Telepathic Handling and Throttle Response System". It's a rare option but boy is it ever cool! There's no mechanical parts involved- computers are hooked up to each system and they read your mind! It's really crazy!

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts

They obviously know it's mechanical, but I think by telepathic they mean the mechanics are so well done that it seems telepathic, in other words seamless, refined and good feeling.

I feel sorry for you if you think they don't know there are mechanics that make the car systems (i.e. steering) work. They do, and are just using the "telepathic" adjective to describe the interaction between those mechanical parts and how it affects the use of the system.

Also you're not going to find many (if any) honda/import fanboys on this (general motors/domestic) fan forum.

This post reads as if it came straight from the Senior Editor of Car and Driver Patrick Bedard himself.
There is no telepathy involved at all! Steering is done with an engineering miracle called the steering rack!
Please, people.
He is being sarcastic. There are going to be many posts in this thread that are either sarcastic or joking.

Please think before you post. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.