GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an AP article. Dunno how the copyright thing works.

Here's the article:
SUVs Catch Fire Following Oil Changes
July 9, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Post reported more than two dozen cases of late-model Honda CR-V sport utility vehicles bursting into flames shortly after their first oil changes.

The newspaper cites records provided to the federal government by Honda.

No injuries have been reported, and many of the vehicles -- from the 2003 and 2004 model years -- were destroyed.

The Post said The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration concluded this month the incidents are the fault of dealerships and mechanics. The agency says the problem stems from improperly installed oil filters that most likely leaked oil onto the vehicles' hot exhaust systems.

That Crazy Article

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Honda says it's not a design flaw?? How is putting the oil filter over parts of a hot exhaust system not a flaw. You mean to tell me that all of their engineers with their graduate degrees couldn't foresee the possibility of oil dripping out of the oil filter?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often. Most Hondas have the filter directly over the exhaust, Most Fords have the filter over the starter.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
the crv, dayummmmmmmmmm.. thought only ford had cars that blew up..

anywho..heres link to the hondasuv forum thread about the subject..
hondasuv.com

another thing i've always been curious about, whats so special about oil that goes in hondas, that they make a honda specific oil?

·
Banned
895 Posts
Yeah, blame it on the mechanics and improperly installed oil filters. If this were true, then we'd be seeing fires in a plethora of models since it is unlikely that mechanics are only screwing up on Hondas!

"Look Ma. Our CRV S-UUU-Vea has started a barbeeque. Quick grab the weenies and marshmellows!"

Imagine the bonfire that CRV owners could make if they assembled immediately after an oil change!

The only good japanese car is one that has been crushed by an 18-wheeler.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good news for GM.

Every honda defect or recall gives me bizarre feelings of extasy.

Of course, the honda fanboys will just perpetuate the company's exuse.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan
,Jul 9 2004, 09:20 AM] Good news for GM.

I own a Honda Accord V6 with a transmission that needed to be replaced at 89,000, a shifter that would not come out of park (fixed 4 times) and an SRS indicator that keeps coming on (fixed more times than I care to remember-it is still not properly fixed), Alternator was replaced at 38,000 miles, rear brake lights that decide not to work (fixed 2 times).

I have lodged complaints with Honda to no avail. I cannot wait till this car is paid off. Honda is covering up a bunch of problems and it is really annoying how the government is not stepping in to force Honda to properly address these issues.

The auto tranny on the Accord, TL, CL and Odyssey is inherently flawed. It needs to be replaced by a completely new DESIGN, not a rebuild POS that will break quicker than the first! The other problems the car has are probably unfixable flaws as well, due to the number of times I brought it to Honda to fix!

My car is a lemon, but there are so many other Honda owners like me with the same problem, so it is not just my car.

I love cars in general and when I own a POS I will not make excuses for anyone. I paid a ton of money for my cars and I expect them to work. Problem is, dealers really don't give a damn once the purchase is over with, and Corporate does not care unless there is a Class Action Suit pending. :plasma:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by atomicshark+Jul 9 2004, 04:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atomicshark @ Jul 9 2004, 04:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-[Corporal Dan
,Jul 9 2004, 09:20 AM] Good news for GM.

I own a Honda Accord V6 with a transmission that needed to be replaced at 89,000, a shifter that would not come out of park (fixed 4 times) and an SRS indicator that keeps coming on (fixed more times than I care to remember-it is still not properly fixed), Alternator was replaced at 38,000 miles, rear brake lights that decide not to work (fixed 2 times).

I have lodged complaints with Honda to no avail. I cannot wait till this car is paid off. Honda is covering up a bunch of problems and it is really annoying how the government is not stepping in to force Honda to properly address these issues.

The auto tranny on the Accord, TL, CL and Odyssey is inherently flawed. It needs to be replaced by a completely new DESIGN, not a rebuild POS that will break quicker than the first! The other problems the car has are probably unfixable flaws as well, due to the number of times I brought it to Honda to fix!

My car is a lemon, but there are so many other Honda owners like me with the same problem, so it is not just my car.

I love cars in general and when I own a POS I will not make excuses for anyone. I paid a ton of money for my cars and I expect them to work. Problem is, dealers really don't give a damn once the purchase is over with, and Corporate does not care unless there is a Class Action Suit pending. :plasma: [/b][/quote]
Hey atomicshark,
I really have to commend you for calling your Honda a lemon in this forum or anywhere on this site - you're brave. As you can see, some revel in Honda's mistakes (I admit, I do too sometimes, I'm a GM nut). I was just talking to a friend this past weekend about their Accord and they have experienced the EXACT same problems you have (tranny, shifter and SRS indicator). Now if this is some coincidence, I should just go buy a Lotto ticket today and retire. I feel your pain and I agree with you ENTIRELY; forget the band-aid fix, redesign the darn thing!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]@Jul 9 2004, 02:20 PM
Good news for GM.

Don't speak too soon man, this could actually affect GM. Keep in mind, GM is doing more and more product sharing with Honda these days. The Saturn Vue has a Honda engine and it could be this one (!!). But you know how it will go - the Saturn Vue could experience this very problem because it's the same engine (maybe, I really don't know the specifics) and the press will have a hey-day with it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Originally posted by Paul+Jul 9 2004, 11:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paul @ Jul 9 2004, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-[Corporal Dan
,Jul 9 2004, 02:20 PM] Good news for GM.

Don't speak too soon man, this could actually affect GM. Keep in mind, GM is doing more and more product sharing with Honda these days. The Saturn Vue has a Honda engine and it could be this one (!!). But you know how it will go - the Saturn Vue could experience this very problem because it's the same engine (maybe, I really don't know the specifics) and the press will have a hey-day with it. [/b][/quote]
Yup, the transmission in the V6 Vue is the same problematic one in the 2003-04 Accord that was just recalled. The Engine is good though. That is no consolation though. <_<

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Originally posted by Paul+Jul 9 2004, 11:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paul @ Jul 9 2004, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-[Corporal Dan
,Jul 9 2004, 02:20 PM] Good news for GM.

Don't speak too soon man, this could actually affect GM. Keep in mind, GM is doing more and more product sharing with Honda these days. The Saturn Vue has a Honda engine and it could be this one (!!). But you know how it will go - the Saturn Vue could experience this very problem because it's the same engine (maybe, I really don't know the specifics) and the press will have a hey-day with it.[/b][/quote]
Actually GM is probably going to be doing less with Honda. This engine deal with Honda has already been scaled back for the V6s. I haven't heard about it being expanded to other motors.

My wife has a Honda Odyssey and the oil filter on the V6 is not over the exhaust manifold. Therefore, the VUE should be fine. This affects CRVs which only come with I4s.

Mark

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Wow, this is really serious! Hopefully nobody gets hurt!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I doubt that the fire incidents with the CR-Vs occured because of a design flaw. Otherwise we'd be seeing a bunch of early model CR-Vs catching on fire as well (opposed to a few 2004s). I'm a Chevy fan but I have to admit I respect Honda and believe their cars are better engineered than GM's (just my opinion ;) )

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I am really disgusted with the media since they are down playing this situation when I remember them grilling Chrysler over the transmission problem. And jumping out of a flaming car is far more serious.
Honda's response is poor since it basically puts the blame on the mechanic. Now, how long have oil filters been in existence? How long have mechanics been installing them? Will Honda's statement prevent vehicle owners from performing their own oil changes because of the risk of fire? Will CR-V owners be driving with the threat that at any time the filter could start to leak and cause a fire?
As an engineer, I find their statement to be pure bulls--- and they are not solving the problem. This one is going to bite them in their rears since the fires won't stop because the use of aftermarket filters will always be a quality issue, the performer will not install the filter under some tightly controlled spec (how many of you know how much torgue is applied when you install a filter?) and the fillter seals do deteriorate under operating conditions.

The other factor of the tinder point ofthe oil is valid. What is it? Does the exhaust manifold surpass it? Will Hondas require a special, non-flammable oil? I foresee them installing shields.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Nationwide Class Action Filed on Behalf of Purchasers of Honda CR-V Sports Utility Vehicles Model Years 2003 and 2004 as a Result of Automotive Fires
Friday July 16, 1:29 pm ET

NEW YORK, July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbey Gardy, LLP, Puls Taylor & Woodson, and Harris Kessler & Goldstein, LLC have commenced a nationwide class action lawsuit in California Superior Court, in the County of Los Angeles, on behalf of a class of purchasers of American Honda Motor Corporation's ("American Honda") Sports Utility Vehicle, CR-Vs (the "CR-Vs") model years 2003 and 2004 in connection with American Honda's sale of defective CRV-s for these model years.

The Complaint alleges that due to a design defect relating to the vehicles' O-Ring gaskets, oil leaks onto the vehicles' hot exhaust systems, rapidly igniting, and causing the CR-Vs model years 2003 and 2004 to burst into flames. In many instances, the vehicles have been totally destroyed. American Honda has neither issued a recall nor warned consumers of this defect.

The Complaint further alleges that defendant American Honda, as a result of the sale of the defective CRV-s model years 2003 and 2004, has violated and continues to violate, among other statutes, the California Legal Remedies Act, and the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act. The complaint seeks certain relief including actual and punitive damages, restitution, and equitable relief, including the replacement and/or recall of all CR-Vs model years 2003 and 2004.

If you have purchased a CR-V model year 2003 or 2004 and would like any information regarding this nationwide class action, please contact Gina M. Tufaro at 1-800-889-3701 or e-mail at [email protected].

If you have any information concerning the nature of the defect in the CR-Vs or the cause of the automotive fires please contact Gina M. Tufaro at 1-800-889-3701 or e-mail at [email protected].

Abbey Gardy, LLP has been retained as one of the law firms to represent the Class. The attorneys at Abbey Gardy, LLP have extensive experience in class action cases, and have played lead roles in major cases resulting in the recovery of hundreds of millions of dollars to injured parties.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040716/nyf057_1.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts