GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OPEL Zafira has a new competitor..........

UK: Honda copies Fiat Multipla seat layout for new compact minivan
07 Jul 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Honda has copied the Fiat Multipla’s 3+3 seat layout for its new FR-V compact MPV (minivan) which is based on the CR-V SUV’s platform.

The car has two rows of three individually adjustable seats and a dash mounted gear lever.

“Six seats are plenty for most small families. And with all the seats in two rows, it’s easy for everyone in the car to talk to each other, making it a more friendly way to travel,” is how Honda explains its choice of cabin layout.

Image courtesy just-auto.com

Full Article Here:

just-auto.com

Ken

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Doesn't look like there is any storage though for 6 people.

Remember when these things were called station wagons?

·
Banned
895 Posts
Another clown car from the company that perfected forcing men to carry their package on the roof in order to fit in the original Honda 360 and civic. The Japanese never innovate. They merely do what captive primates do: mimick.

Pardon me while I express that I am unimpressed with this Honda.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have always been amazed when japaneese car manufacturers get credit for copying .they very rarely come up with an idea on there own and when they want to compete on alevel they just mimic the competition. Many years ago Olds showed a concept at an auto show.last year lexus showed almost a duplicate, the olds was ibelieved called th

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have always been amazed when japaneese car manufacturers get credit for copying .they very rarely come up with an idea on there own and when they want to compete on alevel they just mimic the competition. Many years ago Olds showed a concept at an auto show.last year lexus showed almost a duplicate

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Jul 7 2004, 05:03 PM
Another clown car from the company that perfected forcing men to carry their package on the roof in order to fit in the original Honda 360 and civic. The Japanese never innovate. They merely do what captive primates do: mimick.

Pardon me while I express that I am unimpressed with this Honda.
honda doesn't 'force' anyone to buy any of their models. if they don't offer a large enough vehicle, then it's their loss, because consumers will go elsewhere. many people prefer small cars to big cars, and honda is smart to mimick what sells in europe. not sure what else they should do here... offer a 2-seater family vehicle? build a suburban-esque commuter vehicle? i think the multipla is an oddball, but as with this honda, the 3+3 seating makes it a tick more useful than a regular 2+3 seater wagon would, and yet keeps it shorter (and more nimble) than a 2+2+3 van would. though rex is right... cargo room appears non-existant.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by delmarjohn@Jul 7 2004, 05:13 PM
I have always been amazed when japaneese car manufacturers get credit for copying.
credit? what credit do they get here? the article title is "Honda copies Fiat Multipla seat layout for new MV". they're not saying honda invented a new category... they're saying they're doing what was done before. if you think that's a bad idea, fine, but there's no 'credit' being given here.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Jul 7 2004, 05:28 PM
Not here.. but wait and it will happen. Welcome to the auto industry, first time here?
i can't comment on what might possibly eventually happen. honda and toyota get credit for building high quality cars when they aren't always high quality, yes, but show me an example of when they were given 'credit' for something they didn't do first. maybe there are some, but i can't think of any.

·
Registered
223 Posts
but show me an example of when they were given 'credit' for something they didn't do first. maybe there are some, but i can't think of any.
Displacement on demand (DOD) coming in their new accord hybrid, GM came out with the concept a couple years ago saying it will be on many 5.3 liter SUVs. Actually it goes back to the 8-6-4 from Cadillac from the 80s. Oh yeah, and the Hemi has it too on the Chrysler 300. But all I hear is praise for Honda.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Butta@Jul 7 2004, 06:21 PM
but show me an example of when they were given 'credit' for something they didn't do first. maybe there are some, but i can't think of any.
Displacement on demand (DOD) coming in their new accord hybrid, GM came out with the concept a couple years ago saying it will be on many 5.3 liter SUVs. Actually it goes back to the 8-6-4 from Cadillac from the 80s. Oh yeah, and the Hemi has it too on the Chrysler 300. But all I hear is praise for Honda.
have they gotten 'credit' for this though? GM tried, but it didn't work back in the 80's. has honda been trumpeting 'their' new technology? i don't see anything wrong with honda making their vehicles more fuel efficient. they shouldn't be heralded as inventing this idea (and maybe they are), but good for them if they make it work. personally i've heard more about DoD on the GM trucks than on the accord (didn't know they had it until now). maybe you're right, but only if honda is getting praise for doing this first. they should get praise for doing it, just not first.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
blah, blah, blah, and Toyota invented the car based SUV with the RAV4. car companies copy what sells. whoever does it best is the winner. you know, Honda offered variable valve timing to the masses first with VTEC, and there are other innovations from other Japanese companies. everyone is going to crib an idea that works now and then. it's good for us because we get variety. we can get the features we want on the cars we want, regardless of manufacturer. simmer down. Honda will come up with something that everyone else will copy sooner or later, and then you won't get so upset about it.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Whatever. I'd never buy either of them anyways so I honestly don't care.

·
Registered
381 Posts
lets not be blind... recalls is the best example of how honda, toyota, get favoured... reduced blame is the same as getting credit where its not deserved. How about the prius... being claimed as the amazing hybrid... yet offers much less fuel economy as promised... not much better than a TDI

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Jul 7 2004, 04:34 PM
lets not be blind... recalls is the best example of how honda, toyota, get favoured... reduced blame is the same as getting credit where its not deserved. How about the prius... being claimed as the amazing hybrid... yet offers much less fuel economy as promised... not much better than a TDI
The Prius is amazing technology - a car with nearly mid-sized interior volume capable of consistent mid-40s fuel economy. Yes, the EPA rating is much higher, but there is clearly an issue on hybrid vehicles and the EPA rating methodology. But the Prius has nearly the same interior volume as the Camry, equals the 4-cylinder Camry in accleration and gets sub-compact-like real world fuel economy.

That's quite an accomplishment in my book.

TDI is also impressive -- it isn't easy to get the benefits of a diesel (torque and part-throttle fuel economy) while mitigating the challenges (NVH, soot, N0X emissions, low power). VW and Mercedes are doing really amazing things with diesels and if we can get low-sulphur fuels in North America, they may reach a mainstream audience.

But the Prius goes farther by designing a new car to take advantage of the novel powertrain -- with lightweight materials, specific packaging and a low-drag body. The diesels are simply optional engines in exisiting cars.

GM's EV1 was as far a reach (if not farther) than the Prius. Too bad GM never followed it up nor capitalized on the huge technology lead the project gave them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Honda Edix (or FR-V) will more likely be available in North American market... prolly under Acura's brand.. but will the 6-passenger arrangement be available, that's muh concern...

oddly, 6-passenger arrangement oreaddy exists long time ago in most American cars!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts