GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little old, from the Oscars, but I thought it was interesting:

What do they drive?
Celebrities are now divided into two camps: those who drive gas-guzzling Hummers and those sensitive souls who drive Earth-friendly hybrids. But who's who might surprise you

Samantha Grice
National Post

Tuesday, March 09, 2004
Nowhere is what you drive as important as it is in image-obsessed Hollywood. Of course, a celebrity can always take the safe route and display their wealth via the relatively benign Lexus or limousine, but those cars don't always say quite enough.

These days, a star's choice of vehicle speaks volumes not only about their placement in the Hollywood machine but of their politics, rank in the star system and age.

The current manifestation of the you-are-what-you-drive debate comes in the Hummer-hybrid divide, as detailed in last Sunday's New York Times.

A growing legion of environmentally friendly and often sanctimonious celebrities have adopted gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius as their ecological cause du jour and are pressuring their ostentatious SUV-driving colleagues to trade in their gas guzzlers. Hummers, which until the last decade were exclusively used by military personnel, are among the least fuel-efficient cars on the road, getting an average of 13 miles to the gallon as compared to the Prius's 50 plus.

As the eloquent Jack Black succinctly put it in a recent off-the-cuff remark at the Prius-packed Academy Awards: "If you didn't come to the Oscars in a hybrid, you're a jerk."

The Times notes that celebrities who drive Hummers (in either the H1 or H2 variations) can usually be categorized as new money, whereas Prius owners tend to be more firmly entrenched in the Hollywood establishment.

But is it as easy as that? In this automotive version of the "Whose breasts are real" game, see if you can distinguish the eco-friendly hybrid owners from the road-hogging Hummer drivers.

See article and quiz here

AND this:

GALLO BLASTS 'GOOD WILL' OF CELEBRITIES

Controversial actor VINCENT GALLO has launched a bitter assault on stars who chose to arrive at last month's (29FEB04) OSCARS in environmentally-friendly cars - claiming their worldly concerns are fake.

The BUFFALO '66 star is angry stars like TIM ROBBINS, SUSAN SARANDON, STING and ROBIN WILLIAMS turned up to the glitzy event in eco-friendly TOYOTA PRIUS cars, because they all use polluting modes of transport without guilt outside the public spotlight.

He tells New York website PAGE SIX, "I went to the Oscars this year and there were groups of actors showing up in these hybrid vehicles.

"Not one of these clowns has been on a private plane less than 25 times. It's one of the great radical cliches of good will that they have in Hollywood. They want to feel good about something."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...33;opendocument

What gets Leonardo DiCaprio's motor running? Among other things: A nickel-metal hybride battery, like the one powering his 2001 Toyota Prius. DiCaprio, 27, dropped $20,000 for his eco-friendly ride, which runs on an electric motor and a gasoline engine that work in tandem, reducing emissions by 75 percent and getting up to 52 miles per gallon in the city. A vocal environmentalist, DiCaprio bought three more of the hybrid vehicles for his mom, dad and stepmom. "It's his primary car," says the actor's rep Ken Sunshine. "He drives it all the time. People always ask him about it".

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wonder how much Toyota gives them all to say this... <_<

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yup drive a pirus but own three or four 20,000 sq ft houses in different countries, fly to them on a private jet and when your at your Florida mansion on the water take your cigarette boat out for a spin. These people totally suck.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by sceltor@Mar 14 2004, 06:19 PM
Money not required. It's trendy to buy imported cars and thumb your nose at big bad corporate GM, and Hollywood stars need to be trendy and rebellious above all.

Notice they didn't make a big deal about going out and buying / riding in the EV1 when GM was offering a fully electric car.

I don't remember Hollywood stars arriving on the red carpet in EV1's but I guess it might have happened. :type:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Mar 18 2004, 02:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Mar 18 2004, 02:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sceltor@Mar 14 2004, 06:19 PM
Money not required. It's trendy to buy imported cars and thumb your nose at big bad corporate GM, and Hollywood stars need to be trendy and rebellious above all.

Notice they didn't make a big deal about going out and buying / riding in the EV1 when GM was offering a fully electric car.

I don't remember Hollywood stars arriving on the red carpet in EV1's but I guess it might have happened. :type: [/b][/quote]
The majority of the public was never informed about the EV1. Especially us not on the west coast. I doubt it's to thumb their nose @ GM.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

look at his pants!! lol..

did anyone else think he was too dayum skinny to be playing "high skoo basketball star" in "the basketball diaries". looked like a crackhead on the court. sorry, that movie sucked, just wanted to vent. but in contrast, he was an excellent retard in "gilbert grape".

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002+Mar 18 2004, 06:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cyboexpo2002 @ Mar 18 2004, 06:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2004, 02:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sceltor
@Mar 14 2004, 06:19 PM

I don't remember Hollywood stars arriving on the red carpet in EV1's but I guess it might have happened. :type:
The majority of the public was never informed about the EV1. Especially us not on the west coast. I doubt it's to thumb their nose @ GM.[/b][/quote]
I can't speak for you folks living outside of the West Coast, but I can tell you that the EV1 was as hyped as it could be here in SoCal.

Clever and compelling commercials aired on local TV and radio stations, billboards were up all over LA, electrical charger stations were set up at many public sites, anyone could drive one at local GM driving events...

...and the Hollywood set generally responded with a great big yawn. -_-

There were one or two exceptions, but definitely not the activist orgasm-fest they're having now over the Toyota.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Mar 18 2004, 12:24 PM
...and the Hollywood set generally responded with a great big yawn.  -_-

There were one or two exceptions, but definitely not the activist orgasm-fest they're having now over the Toyota.
that was pre-gulf war II, now celebs have reason "a political stand" ..its American to buy a japanese electric fuel sippa, because it makes us less dependant on middle east oil and reduces polition in the process. ahhhh.. wasnt that the whole reason for the EV1 too? and fact is, it was proven that hybrids dont really create that much of an gas savings. but that doesnt seem to matter to them, their celebs and we really care about what they drive.. bunch of hollywood BS, glad i live in texas where we could care less.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s+Mar 18 2004, 05:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IMPALAon20s @ Mar 18 2004, 05:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-coolcaddy@Mar 18 2004, 12:24 PM
...and the Hollywood set generally responded with a great big yawn.  -_-

that was pre-gulf war II, now celebs have reason "a political stand" ..its American to buy a japanese electric fuel sippa, because it makes us less dependant on middle east oil and reduces polition in the process. ahhhh.. wasnt that the whole reason for the EV1 too? and fact is, it was proven that hybrids dont really create that much of an gas savings. but that doesnt seem to matter to them, their celebs and we really care about what they drive.. bunch of hollywood BS, glad i live in texas where we could care less. [/b][/quote]
Maybe it is the timing... I don't know. I should clarify that my ignorance does have to do partly with the fact that they were not available here. Apparently it was hyped. You never know with these things...timing is everything. Well, soon enough we'll see if the American hybrids get the same welcome.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 18 2004, 12:57 PM
I'll gladly drive whatever is in Jay Leno's garage.

heres a spy shot of jay in his 1990 ford shogun, festiva based, sports some fender flares and has a ford v6 SHO motor pryed under the hood.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
If I remember correctly, the engine was placed in the back behind the front seats, not under the hood.

I also heard the car was fast enough to do wheelies.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 18 2004, 01:32 PM
If I remember correctly, the engine was placed in the back behind the front seats, not under the hood.

I also heard the car was fast enough to do wheelies.
i did not know that (johnny carson).. that explains the need to stick wheels further out on rear.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hollywood Backs Hybrid Car

http://icnorthernireland.icnetwork.co.uk/e...-name_page.html

Mar 2004

The trendiest way to get around LA is currently the environmentally friendly Toyota Prius.

Forget BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus - socially conscious stars including Charlize Theron, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston, Sting, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt are all driving these hybrid cars that run partially on electric energy.

They cost 20,000 dollars in the States and get 55 miles to the gallon.

"Celebrities realise everyone watches them and their actions carry a lot of weight, so they want to do the right thing," says Toyota marketing manager, Ed La Rocque, obviously delighted to get so many star endorsements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts