GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam+Jul 14 2004, 03:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tgagneguam @ Jul 14 2004, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-akumaknight@Jul 14 2004, 10:18 AM
why cant ever one just do what america does and not try to be different. (I dont care that the metric system is in a sence easier to understand and more uniform than the standard system. (maybe when you grow up using it, but I'll be damned if I understand it now. Probably gonna have to learn it since I'm going to auto tech school next year.)
I often wondered why the USA doesn't adopt the more sensible metric system. Perhaps America should be more flexible rather than expecting most of the rest of the planet to adopt to our customs and standards.[/b][/quote]
In 1975 The USA started on a path to metric conversion. By 1985 the process was to be complete.

In the beginning (At least in Michigan) I-94, I-75, and U.S 27 had road signs listed in both U.S. and Metric. TV stations were listing Temperatures and Pressure for both Degrees F/C and Inches/Millibars during their weathercasts.

There was extreme resistance to metric conversion. Supermarkets were complaining about to replacing their scales, etc. It sounded like the Boston Tea Party all over again. By 1985 it was all but dead.

CANADA was smart, They changed practically overnite. There were issues for awhile, but relatives of mine who live in Ontario certainly are comfortable with it now.

Many US industries are utilizing the Metric system. They must if they want to compete in the global marketplace.

Changing to the Metric system for everyday living in the US is going to be a very slow process. It will happen, but when......

Ken

· Registered
18,522 Posts
IIRC, it is only Australia that uses kw power ratings...

There is also PS [metric horsepower] in Europe, and JIS in Japan, but those ratings are very, very similar to the domestic hp measurement.

GM is more or less completely metric nowadays, maybe a SAE nut or bolt here and there, but the engineering dimensions of everything are metric...

· Registered
45 Posts
We should just make up some cool names for this engine, then list them all then vote for the best one. Then submit it to GM and see what happens...

· Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by ByTheLake+Jul 13 2004, 02:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ByTheLake @ Jul 13 2004, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-usa1@Jul 13 2004, 07:00 PM
Alloytec is a lame name, regardless if it's taken or not.
I completely agree. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, but Alloy pronounced in Aussie English is ALL-OY! I OY, you OY, we ALL OY!

I just re-invented their new marketing program! AC/DC music in the background...T-N-T, OY! OY!, T-N-T,....tire smoking....

· Registered
618 Posts
IIRC, it is only Australia that uses kw power ratings...
Not quite. Ford UK and Opel Germany use KW power ratings (with equivalent Ps in brackets).

Australia began the metric changeover during the 1970s and I assume adopted what was then the European standard.

What's more confusing is mpg, when you don't know if it refers to Imperial or US gallons.

· Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by 72lemanscvbl+Jul 14 2004, 09:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (72lemanscvbl @ Jul 14 2004, 09:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 02:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-usa1
@Jul 13 2004, 07:00 PM
Alloytec is a lame name, regardless if it's taken or not.

I completely agree.
Yeah, but Alloy pronounced in Aussie English is ALL-OY! I OY, you OY, we ALL OY!
[/b][/quote]
In Australia ALLOY is pronounced AL (rhymes with HAL) -OY (rhymes with TOY) ... ALLOY rhymes with HAL-TOY.

Also we quote fuel consumption in Litres per 100Km down here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.