·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holden Tries To Invigorate Viva

David Berthon
21 March 2008
www.smh.com.au

Holden's small Viva sedan, hatch and wagon models have received added equipment for 2008 to stimulate sales. However, the Korean-built models are still being offered with big discounts.

Hawkesbury Valley Holden at Windsor has the five-speed manual versions of the 1.8-litre four-cylinder Viva sedan and five-door hatch for $17,300 drive-away, a saving of $4124 on the normal on-road price.

The same dealer has the manual Viva wagon for $19,000 drive-away, a saving of $3969. Four-speed automatic transmission adds $2000 to all body styles and metallic paint $300.

The deals improve on the promotional pricing by Holden dealers during March, which has the manual Viva sedan and hatch for $18,990 drive-away, a saving of $2434. The manual wagon at $20,490 drive-away, provides a saving of $2479. Again, automatic adds $2000, metallic paint $300.

For the 2008 model year, Holden upgraded equipment on the Viva range. In addition to air-conditioning, dual front airbags, front power windows, height- and reach-adjustable steering wheel with audio controls and single CD player with MP3 compatibility, Vivas have standard side airbags, 15-inch alloy wheels and anti-lock brakes.

Imported from GM Daewoo in Korea, the Viva initially gave Holden a sales lift but the small car range has lost favour against an onslaught of newer models. The Viva arrived in showrooms in October 2005 but it quickly went to drive-away pricing.

Click here to continue article

Current Holden Viva range

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sorry Holden ..... apart from the Captiva, the korean cars suck.

Why dont they replace the Viva with the Cobalt.

Actually, the perfect Holden line up is as follows:

Barina (rebadge Opel Corsa)
Astra
Torana
Commodore/Calais/Sportwagon
Ute/Crewman
MONARO
Statesman/Caprice
Captiva
Solstice/Sky rebadge.
Rodeo/Colorado ......... something along the lines of those, but build a newer/better one

and probably some sort of big SUV with a diesel V8, which could also come in a pick-up version.

And a VAN! Something like the Hiace or Mitsubishi Express..... How about the much bigger Chevrolet Express?

Anyways, my point is the current Barina, Viva, and Epica suck balls.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The US Spec version of that wagon doesn't actually look that bad from what I've seen......however Suzuki has saddled it with a 127hp V6 or some similar powerplant.

Hopefully Holden has done one better with it down under??

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
I can see why it's failing, it's the old Nubira/Forenza that's outdated in comparison to the competition. Holden needs the new one out as fast as possible. Could've picked a better name too! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
With the dollar falling why not export US models to Australia?

It's something GM is seriously looking into, for Europe as well. US manufacturing is becoming really appealing right now!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sorry Holden ..... apart from the Captiva, the korean cars suck.

Why dont they replace the Viva with the Cobalt.

Actually, the perfect Holden line up is as follows:

Barina (rebadge Opel Corsa)
Astra
Torana
Commodore/Calais/Sportwagon
Ute/Crewman
Statesman/Caprice
Captiva
Solstice/Sky rebadge.
Rodeo/Colorado ......... something along the lines of those, but build a newer/better one

and probably some sort of big SUV with a diesel V8, which could also come in a pick-up version.

And a VAN! Something like the Hiace or Mitsubishi Express..... How about the much bigger Chevrolet Express?

Anyways, my point is the current Barina, Viva, and Epica suck balls.
Nothing in there for me - how about a nice two door Gombidor with pillarless styling? Relief from the everyday, spelt M-O-N-A-R-O..

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's something GM is seriously looking into, for Europe as well. US manufacturing is becoming really appealing right now!
There's quite a bit of internal discussion about building all of the global Chevy Cobalts in the US instead of moving production to Mexico. Not sure where they'd build it because Lordstown is likely changing production and they hope that the next Cobalt will be a huge global hit. It will need to be built at multiple factories, but the weaker dollar coupled with the tremendous cost savings due to the new CBA and the buyouts make building in the US more appealing than building in Oz, Canada, or Europe right now. There's still a tremendous cost advantage in Mexico, though there are more issues with quality control on the lines down there.

The next Cobalt is not too far down the line and should debut next year as a Chevy world car to be sold everywhere Chevys are sold. They may make some in Korea, but I think a large portion of them may be made here instead of in Mexico as was once planned.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
The Viva 5-door is a great car... 3 years ago. I had one and really liked it, but part of the attraction was the price... mine was discounted to around $13,000 CAD new back in 2004. Three years later even I find it dated, and I'll drive anything! They shouldn't be wondering why it isn't selling... they should be selling a new one! It's too bad that they let this car get so tired... because it was actually quite a tidy little car when it came out and was surprisingly competitive at the time.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yep, the Viva needs to be replaced with the new Global ChevDelta.
Mind you I think the Viva would make a decent first car, good ish looks and good equipment for the price. The problem is getting the PYTs into one when the competition has more 'flash' about them.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
The Cobalt is a better car than the Viva / Lacetti in almost all respects. I really like the Viva exterior and interior design and materials, but it's a little dated. The Cobalt doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, which explains its only mild success, but it's a very good little car. Not sure it would fit any better in Australia than the Viva... I think maybe not... but the Cobalt isn't a bad car.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Cobalts been getting good reviews all over it seems
Cobalt is a bit aged already. it's time for a redo before they say it's ready for global competition. but it is better than those Korean things. scads better.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yep, the Viva needs to be replaced with the new Global ChevDelta.
Mind you I think the Viva would make a decent first car, good ish looks and good equipment for the price. The problem is getting the PYTs into one when the competition has more 'flash' about them.
I would say there is no hope of Holden swapping the viva for the US Cobalt, dont forget Holden own 40 something percent of Daewoo so there not goin to buy into a company and then get cars from somewhere else.

Biggest problem for Holden is that all of the Daewoo cars are on old platforms and it was always goin to take years before they could get them onto the new GM small world car platforms, hence the cheap pricing for them cause thats the only selling point for them, honestly they prob would have been better of keeping the old Astra classic instead of the Viva.

Does anyone know when the Barina Viva and Epica are due to go on the new platforms?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts