·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revving Up For Milestones

Steve Colquhoun & Ian Porter
30 April 2008
www.smh.com.au

Toyota has celebrated the production of 2.5 million cars in Australia but, despite its increasing dominance in the sales race, still can't match GM Holden for sheer production capacity.

One among only three remaining local volume producers of cars in Australia, GM Holden expects to wheel the seven-millionth car off its Fishermans Bend production line in the next few months, having taken seven years to clock up its latest million.

Toyota has taken four years to add 500,000 cars to the 2 million milestone it clocked in 2004.

Neither figure stacks up to GM Holden's best performance, when it took just five years to produce a million cars between 1969 and 1974, anchored by almost half a million HQ Holdens manufactured in just three years from 1971-74.

It has taken Toyota a total of 45 years to reach the 2.5 million milestone with a white Toyota Camry Grande that rolled off its Altona production line last week.

GM Holden has produced almost 7 million cars in the 60 years since the first Holden 48/215 was built in 1948.

Click here to continue article

Holden celebrates its one millionth closed bodied type car in 1957

·
Registered
561 Posts
One among only three remaining local volume producers of cars in Australia, GM Holden expects to wheel the seven-millionth car off its Fishermans Bend production line in the next few months, having taken seven years to clock up its latest million.

errrr......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Guys.

It changed its name some time ago from Fishermans to Fishermens, or the other way around & I'm not sure about the apostrophe either. I think the main point is that GM-H haven't made a vehicle in that plant since 1956. Melbourne's plant from 1956 to the mid 1990s was at Dandenong. Current plant is Elizabeth in SA.

Dr Terry.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I'm not quite clear what the controversy is about the name, and maybe someone can explain it, but according to GM's website, or at least the global operations portion, it's Fishermans Bend. Scroll all the way down to "Headquarters/ contact info."

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
In the early 60's dad and a car full of guys used to drive to the Dandenong plant and not just pick up but also pick out the cars they would each drive home that week. They would talk to the line workers and ask which were the best cars and even help put some together while they waited.

They usually went on a Wednesday as the best cars were built that day. The drive back north to the dealership formed part of the pre-delivery check.

;)

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
It's officially Fishermans Bend. They removed the apostrophe from the placename five years or so back for simplicity - official Victorian Government directive. It was otherwise too hard to find in directorys and websites, searches etc.

My missus works at DSTO next to Holden, and they got the memo, it's in their title. I think Holden is soon due to have made it's 4 millionth engine at the Fishermans Bend plant. But no, they don't build cars (except prototypes).

From a DSTO Historical Report

… following a survey by the Land Surveyors Office of the City of Melbourne, the name of the locality was registered in the Victorian Government Gazette as "Fishermans Bend" (and without an apostrophe) on 26th March 1998

1 - 8 of 8 Posts