1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUSTRALIA: Holden to sell old Astra alongside new
09 Jul 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

General Motors’ Australian operation Holden is to keep selling the current Astra, imported from Europe, alongside the fully redesigned model due for launch later this year.

The two most popular trim levels in the current sedan and hatchback range have been renamed ‘Classic’ models and the convertible, not yet redesigned, also continues.

Full Article Here:

just-auto.com

Ken

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Holden’s marketing manager passenger cars, Alan Blazevic, said the Astra Classics would enable the carmaker to continue to cover various price points and suit the broadest possible range of buyers.
if they're offering variations that won't be available immediately (like say a hatchback model or different engines or something) than they make the best case for doing something like this (though ideally the old once should go away). in the case of the malibu and classic they are offering the same thing (midsize FWD sedan). 100% overlap. no point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh, so GM doesn't only do this in the USA. Poor australians, saddled ith a Classic model. I wonder if they are just going to be "fleet sales"

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
I'm not so sure how the Classic vehicle story will play out over the long run. Like with most things, though, there are risks and benefits to this strategy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A big reason manufacturers do this is to fill the holes in new vehicle ramp up's and to sell fewer new cars to the fleets.
It's better for the buyer of the new model because it helps maintain a high value for the car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I believe the main reason is that the new model is substantially more expensive than the old. When the new, more expensive Vectra was released, sales dropped 50%. Lucky, the old model Astra will still be in production and available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts