·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Statesman Could Follow VE Sedan & Ute To US

James Stanford & Terry Martin
25 March 2008
www.goauto.com.au

The Statesman long-wheelbase sedan could be the next GM Holden vehicle exported from Australia to the United States.

General Motors is currently looking to replace its front-wheel drive Buick Lucerne large sedan and has told GoAuto that the Statesman is a strong contender.

The plan is not locked in as the American auto giant is still unsure whether it should stay with a front-wheel drive platform for the Lucerne or change to rear-wheel drive in line with its other premium models.

Buick is examining taking a reworked Statesman produced in Australia or a more luxurious Chinese-made version of the car, which is sold there as a Buick Park Avenue.

There is also the option of simply using the rear-drive architecture of the Statesman and using it for a large sedan that would be produced in North America – either in US or in GM’s plant in Ontario, Canada, which is producing the new Holden-engineered Camaro sports coupe, which is based on the same global rear-wheel drive architecture as the Commodore and Statesman.

Either way, Australia will be at the centre of the Lucerne development if GM does move to RWD.

Click here to continue article

China's Holden Statesman-based Buick Park Avenue

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Those wheels on that Chinese WM look a lot smaller than on the Aussie cars.

I hope that they eventually give it a Buick style reskin of the outer panels if it is to be a serious part of the new Buick.

;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
American version should be:
*HSV Grange exterior on all models
*HSV Grange MRC (Magnetic Ride Control)
*3.6L V6 260hp - 6L V8 360hp - 6.2L LS3 430hp.
*Chinese Buick Park Avenue interior

replace that fender vent with port holes maybe?

OR have a totally new BUICK design from the A pillar forward, and from the c pillar back.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I always feel like I'm in the minority here at GMI because I don't want them to bring the Statesman or Park Avenue here to the States. It's nice, but I don't think its styling is consistent with Buick's new styling direction begun by the Velite and Enclave. I like the part in the article about possibly using the Statesman platform to spawn a new Lucerne (please don't call it that). Plus, that whole boxy look looks too much like the new G8; I think that's problematic.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I always feel like I'm in the minority here at GMI because I don't want them to bring the Statesman or Park Avenue here to the States. It's nice, but I don't think its styling is consistent with Buick's new styling direction begun by the Velite and Enclave. I like the part in the article about possibly using the Statesman platform to spawn a new Lucerne (please don't call it that). Plus, that whole boxy look looks too much like the new G8; I think that's problematic.
That's what I was thinking. Gm needs to do some serious sheetmetal work on this car (even if it's appearance only) to make this car more in line, stylistically, with the direction that Buick is going. It would be a shame if Buick's flagship sedan looked like a stretched G8 instead of incorporating the design elements of Buick's stellar concepts.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Holden is as much a part of GM as Chevy, Buick, Hummer, etc., so can we get over the Us/Them issue? If you are concerned about GM North America's ability to build/design great new vehicles, you might want to consider: CTS, STS, Malibu, Aura, Sky, Solstice, Silverado, Suburban/Tahoe, Enclave, Outlook, Acadia, and Corvette/XLR.

Why does Holden only have cool vehicles, and why is GM incapable of building anything not imported from them?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Buick Statesman"What Lincoln Should Be".

Perfect....the styling is to calm to be a Cadillac, and it's much nicer than the G8 or any Chevy sedan.

Very, very good news. I bet that a DI 3.6L engine, optional 2.9L V6 diesel, and a six speed auto would do well here in that car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I would make that move in a heartbeat but I would change the front and maybe the rear (alla Enclave) so its in line with Buicks future in North America. However, the interior should remain the same. If GM does this, they need to also bring the interior of the Chinese SLS to the STS at the same time. Does anyone know when the decision will be made on the Park Avenue ? Come on GM, right now the Lucerne still has a 4 speed automatic and a 3.8 while the Lacrosse is a joke.

S

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I agree with jkr2106, in that the Statesman really doesn't have much Buick to it. Much as I don't really like the giant metal catfish AKA Enclave, it does seem to mirror the brand image impression I get from members on GMi. It looks rich and lavish in an american extremist kinda way, like a Big slice of chocolate mudcake, with chocolate fudge sauce, chocolate sprinkles, and double whip cream. Too much for some stomachs but just right for the target audience.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
That minority isn't so minor, jkr2106. I do like Holdens, especially the Commodore, but importing too many with only subtle design changes runs the risk of furthering GM's image as a badge engineering company. The Commodore is a fanastic starting point for a real Park Avenue, but the sheetmetal needs to be extensively revised to reflect what I think the new design theme is for Buick, which I believe started with the Enclave. If they commit to that, them I'm all for having the Park Ave sourced from Oz. If it's simply going to be a grill change, thus promoting confusion from consumers between the G8 and Park Ave, then Buick should pass on an Oz-sourced Park Ave.

GM desperately needs to be committed to brand development, and that's going to require cohesiveness within brands and distinction among brands. Sloppy design work is going to waste precious few development dollars, something GM cannot afford to let happen anymore.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really like the Chinese-made Park Avenue and think it'd be great as the Buick flagship here. Keep it more inline with the Park Avenue then the HSV Grange.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
...It looks rich and lavish in an american extremist kinda way, like a Big slice of chocolate mudcake, with chocolate fudge sauce, chocolate sprinkles, and double whip cream. Too much for some stomachs but just right for the target audience.
Yikes, America makes an interesting impression on the rest of the world. I take some solace in the fact that we have a fairly heterogenous society, though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I thought the strong weak dollar was hindering the options of importing vehicles from other countries ?? Unless it will be built along the G8 when it moves to stateside...

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I think its a great idea. Needs a different interior and exterior. I hope it also offers AWD.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Lucerne with fresh sheet metal on this platform and the China designed Park as halo for buick.
I think that this is the Chinese Park Avenue in everything but the interior, which I hope makes it to the American Buick. That back seat looks really, really comfortable. Buick has a reputation for good reliablility, so I think GM should focus on that here as well. There is no 80s Mercedes anymore, so the standard is now set by Lexus, which is sad. Buick should step up to the plate and offer that to us.

Keep it quiet and throw in a diesel! That would be a modern day Mercedes SEL....esp. if it's designed to go a million miles.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Why does Holden only have cool vehicles, and why is GM incapable of building anything not imported from them?
Because they're (GM) busy out 'studying the market,' or 'examining' whether or not NA should have competetive vehicles or just more FWD diarrhea.

So, we should expect the results GM's examination in, what, 2012?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Lucerne with fresh sheet metal on this platform and the China designed Park as halo for buick.
This could work, have the Buick with its higher profit lines helping keep the Caprice price either lower or be able to have it with the DI3.6 and 6sp auto standard plus with both on same platform cost benefits would be quite substantial both could easily be built at same plant on same line.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
My Lacrosse would last about 30 days after it is paid off, if that were waiting on the lot for me to buy next. Drool.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts