GM Inside News Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: GM getting out of RHD and retiring Holden brand

RIP Holden. RIP GM Europe. Saab. Pontiac. Saturn. Hummer. GMSA.
Soon, RIP Buick? Cadillac? GM China?

Never has a company been run (into the ground) by such absolute morons!

What’s going to happen to HSV/ Watkinshaw (sic)?
On ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/General-Motors-Overseas-Operations-print-1950-1960/163001307494 right now there is an old General Motors Overseas Operations framed print from around 1960.

It has around the edge the names of GM subsidiaries across the Globe with pointers to their sites on the world map. Looks like GM had a presence in every major country and then some (except for USSR and China).

With the exception of GM Mexico they look to be all gone.... What was built over 50 years was destroyed over the next 50.

GM and its management will be the stuff of MBA studies/papers for decades to come.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Tesla and GM are on two opposite paths.

GM is removing itself from markets, reducing its global production footprint, continually directing sales to more expensive vehicles to maximise profit per unit, mainly in China and the Americas.

Tesla is expanding globally, looking to maximise production to constantly increase volume and reduce prices. Seeking new markets and more affordable segments.

Be interesting to see how history will judge who had the correct strategy, Mary Barra or Elon Musk?
Tesla has a more pressing need... You may like to read this Forbes article

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Forbes article quote:

Zero trust/credibilty quote of ignorance from this above 'authoratitive' Forbes article.

What was the first highway-legal electric car? GM's EV1? Or an electric car from the turn of the 20th century perhaps?

Tesla continues to surprise a lot of people. I've come to believe in them too. But this articles does make some good points. And muffing a trivia fact doesn't therefore invalidate the entire article.

Reactions: AusCalais

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
In Canada GMC and Chevrolet pickups are often sold at the same dealer for the exact same price
OK, then given your stance... since the Sierra outsells the Silverado in Canada, the Silvy should be axed to save development dollars?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
What was the first highway-legal electric car? GM's EV1? Or an electric car from the turn of the 20th century perhaps?

Tesla continues to surprise a lot of people. I've come to believe in them too. But this articles does make some good points. And muffing a trivia fact doesn't therefore invalidate the entire article.
English inventor Thomas Parker, who was responsible for innovations such as electrifying the London Underground, overhead tramways in Liverpool and Birmingham, and the smokeless fuel coalite, built the first production electric car in Wolverhampton in 1884, although the only documentation is a photograph from 1895

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
OK, then given your stance... since the Sierra outsells the Silverado in Canada, the Silvy should be axed to save development dollars?
MY POINT is to get rid of the WHOLE SECOND sales and support network GLOBALLY IF BUICK+GMC WAS the dominant division and Chevrolet sold at best 1/3 GLOBALLY then YES

IMHO IF GM HAD any plans beyond this 1/4 they WOULD SPEND effort to GIVE BOTH Chevrolet and Buick/GMC relevance and NOT rely on making CHEVROLET crappy over priced vehicles to FORCE you to buy a LESS CRAPPY GMC that hardly stacks up against what the competition is offering
AND STOP making the ONLY thing that is UNIQUE to GM products almost unavailable by making it option limited to a top trim of the LOWER SELLING version (multi-pro tailgate)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
MY POINT is to get rid of the WHOLE SECOND sales and support network GLOBALLY IF BUICK+GMC WAS the dominant division and Chevrolet sold at best 1/3 GLOBALLY then YES

IMHO IF GM HAD any plans beyond this 1/4 they WOULD SPEND effort to GIVE BOTH Chevrolet and Buick/GMC relevance and NOT rely on making CHEVROLET crappy over priced vehicles to FORCE you to buy a LESS CRAPPY GMC that hardly stacks up against what the competition is offering
AND STOP making the ONLY thing that is UNIQUE to GM products almost unavailable by making it option limited to a top trim of the LOWER SELLING version (multi-pro tailgate)
Have you actually even driven past a GM dealership in the last 10 years. There are some single-brand GM dealerships left, but the majority of GM dealerships now sell all GM brands in the country. This means that the caterwauling about a WHOLE SECOND dealership network is so much nonsense. The same salesman who sells you a Chevrolet will also sell you a GMC, if you prefer. Most GM dealerships are like mine--selling all GM brands available in North America--Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Have you actually even driven past a GM dealership in the last 10 years. There are some single-brand GM dealerships left, but the majority of GM dealerships now sell all GM brands in the country. This means that the caterwauling about a WHOLE SECOND dealership network is so much nonsense. The same salesman who sells you a Chevrolet will also sell you a GMC, if you prefer. Most GM dealerships are like mine--selling all GM brands available in North America--Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac.
Might depend on location. Here, the Chevy dealer is standalone. Buick, GMC, and Cadillac are combined.

Back in Pittsburgh, the Cadillac dealerships that I went to were standalone (Rohrich, Bowser, Baerl). Most of the Chevy dealerships were standalone as well (Sun, Washington, North Star, Colussy, and a few others that I can think of). Buick and GMC were combined.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Cadillac, perhaps???
For what??
It sell less vehicles than Lexus worldwide, outside China and U.S.A nobody cares for Cadillac (and even in those two countries it is not close to top). Unless they (French) got some wicked plan i'm not sure it would be the best choice (for French).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Forbes article quote:

Zero trust/credibilty quote of ignorance from this above 'authoratitive' Forbes article.
I did spot the obvious error, but I considered that as the author is a financial adviser he needn’t be a car buff or even had heard of the EV1.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I did spot the obvious error, but I considered that as the author is a financial adviser he needn’t be a car buff or even had heard of the EV1.

Its a ludicrous claim. To state the '08 Tesla is the "world's first highway-legal electric car" clearly implies every single EV ever made was previously highway-illegal. Huh? When did this worldwide legislation become enacted? And where in the wide world - Bulgaria, perchance? Indonesia or The Hebrides?

In which flat-earth perception of our shared world would this blinkered claim originate? Why, its Planet America.. again

Author also claims single-plant Tesla is apparently a "dog" in China and in Europe too! I guess the rationale behind Tesla launching big new factories in those two regions escapes him?

Future growth and investment and delivering increased production be damned. This expert's 'big picture' is all about stock market predictions, while being oblivious to automotive-brand market growth.

As a financial advisor he has a singular limited view, kind of like cut & run GM, shrinking GM

Tesla's story, in stark contrast to GM, is of cutting-edge technology, growth and expansion - a remarkable 50% increased production in 2019. Which means 50% increased sales realised, despite the waiting lists and supply restrictions. And soon tripling their number of plants.

"Musk has achieved many things that no one thought he could. He has made his company profitable, mass-produced an electric car and expanded to Europe and China."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Musk also has intentions to expand to South America. Our president Jair Bolsonaro wants to convince Elon Musk to build a Tesla factory here in Brazil.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
The author of that Forbes story made some good points. He may be wrong on every single one of them. But the article is anything but outlandish.

Just because he made a mistake on basically a trivia question does not invalidate the article. If you look up "world's first highway-legal electric car," you actually will get Tesla as the answer. But, the author left off a key phrase in that answer. Tesla is the first "serial production" highway-legal electric car.

I asked yesterday what the first electric car was and someone kindly answered in this thread. It was in the 19th century. But would that answer have been correct in the Forbes article? The article said "highway legal." How many roads in the 19th century would qualify as highways?

141 - 160 of 190 Posts