GM Inside News Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Interesting GoAuto article.

Holden dealer relationships broke in 2005
Senate inquiry told GM wrecked the dealer relationship and the business model crumpled

HOLDEN management in 2005 instigated a change of attitude that effectively broke the strong relationship with dealers and contributed to disharmony that continues today, the senate inquiry into Holden’s conflict with its dealer group was told.
The Senate, Education and Employment References Committee inquiry this week was also told that despite Holden’s denial, dealers and former executives indicated there was a planned exit from Australia made years before the announcement that Holden would cease production.

“In 2005 there was a different way of doing business and – I won’t name names but certainly every dealer in Australia will know who I’m talking about – decided to change the needle a bit and move the partnership relationship to a ‘them and us’.

“There has been a gradual decline since then in the feeling between the dealers and the factory which has never recovered.”

The president and managing director of Holden in 2005 was Dennis “Denny” Mooney, who was appointed on January 1, 2004 and returned to the US as vice president of GM Engineering on August 1, 2007.

The inquiry also heard from Holden managing director Kristian Aquilina who said the conspiracy theories about GM planning the closure of the brand long before any announcement were incorrect.

He told the inquiry that he was told of the closure on February 14 and the official announcement was made on February 17.

“In addition, it (the submission) asserts that the Holden service operations agreement has forced dealers into contracts riddled with unfair terms and prevents the opportunity for compensation.

“It says: ‘Holden has effectively assured dealers they have no lifeline to sustain their business once Holden has gone’.”

Senator Pratt said to Inverell Holden dealer Mark Palmer: “Are you aware of that?”

Mr Palmer said: “Yes. It’s exactly why we are in this situation.”

“The agreement is so far in their (Holden) favour there may as well be no agreement,” he said.

“We (dealers) have no input. It’s all weighted to Holden and there’s no opportunity for negotiation. That is why GM has said insistently that the offer is reasonable.”

The inquiry is continuing with a final report due at the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So in all reality, Denny Mooney was sent out here to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and start the closedown of Holden?
At that stage, definitely not a full closedown, but definitely Elizabeth Plant closure was on the agenda - it was featured heavily in Holden's (top secret, obviously) annual seven-year-plan from mid-2004, it was one of 2 planned scenarios. But things escalated quickly once Elizabeth's fate was announced.

When DM took over, Holden was insanely profitable, but things deteriorated rapidly under his watch. He managed to send boatloads of cash to Detroit - so much cash went out that in 2006 Holden almost went belly up due to cashflow issues, and Commonwealth Bank told GM to pay their bills and take their business elsewhere. In 12 months he slashed dealer margins and sales allowances, he told major fleet customers to f/off, slashed VE development budget by 40%, halved advertising budget, closed down export department, cancelled Holden Ute (twice!), implemented headcount freeze at a time when many top people simply had enough and left. It was a race to the bottom. Definitely the worst, and most short-sighted, head honcho I've ever worked for. Under his watch Holden staff morale hit rock bottom, it was a very toxic work environment.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
At that stage, definitely not a full closedown, but definitely Elizabeth Plant closure was on the agenda - it was featured heavily in Holden's (top secret, obviously) annual seven-year-plan from mid-2004, it was one of 2 planned scenarios. But things escalated quickly once Elizabeth's fate was announced.

When DM took over, Holden was insanely profitable, but things deteriorated rapidly under his watch. He managed to send boatloads of cash to Detroit - so much cash went out that in 2006 Holden almost went belly up due to cashflow issues, and Commonwealth Bank told GM to pay their bills and take their business elsewhere. In 12 months he slashed dealer margins and sales allowances, he told major fleet customers to f/off, slashed VE development budget by 40%, halved advertising budget, closed down export department, cancelled Holden Ute (twice!), implemented headcount freeze at a time when many top people simply had enough and left. It was a race to the bottom. Definitely the worst, and most short-sighted, head honcho I've ever worked for. Under his watch Holden staff morale hit rock bottom, it was a very toxic work environment.
Someone should send mr mooney a box full of covid

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The last chapter of Holden will be used as the case study for business 101 monumental fkups for decades to come. How "the" quintessential Australian brand could fall so fast and so completely is beyond belief. I don't know if it's fair to lay so much blame at Mooneys feet or was he the local puppet doing Detroit's bidding as 'they knew better'? Not sure we'll ever know the true answer to that and either way it's moot. Holden is gone and the missed potential is breathtaking.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What GM taketh away, Toyota giveth.

Attachments

Reactions: Juche and GolfBravo

·
Registered
799 Posts
The last chapter of Holden will be used as the case study for business 101 monumental fkups for decades to come. How "the" quintessential Australian brand could fall so fast and so completely is beyond belief. I don't know if it's fair to lay so much blame at Mooneys feet or was he the local puppet doing Detroit's bidding as 'they knew better'? Not sure we'll ever know the true answer to that and either way it's moot. Holden is gone and the missed potential is breathtaking.
Yes hard to blame one person when trashing of the brand had been going on since the 80's IMO. Consistently crappy vehicles with Commodore as the only vehicle worth a look. Most others were a mix of unreliable, poorly made, expensive and dull (some managed to combine a good few as well). GM also shut Holden out of exports to the middles east and then act surprised when large cars start to tank that Aussie buyers done want the alternate dross offered.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I see the latest development is that dealers are having to return any deposits on Corvettes. presumably you will now have to order through the GMSV network when they work out a system.
Part of the release
We understand that some customers may have already placed deposits with Holden dealers. Unfortunately, deposits will not guarantee your purchase of a Corvette when they arrive towards the end of next year and we recommended that all dealers to refund these deposits, while we finalise the ordering process.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anybody who hasn't requested a returned deposit for the corvette once the announcement to close Holden was made needs their brain checked. Seriously though GMSV will not survive as GM is dead in Australia because the people don't want GM. All car sales in general have dived in recent times. When car companies are putting out crap like they are these days it is hard to justify upgrading from whatever you currently have. Do you really see anybody upgrading their old 3/4 series for that new monstrosity.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
This is not about angry Holden fans who are never Gunna buy another GM product,
it's about Walkinshaw doubling down on full sized pickup conversions by including
Silverado 1500 and 2500 as well as factory RHD Corvette for its dealers to sell.

I think the jury is out on this one, it's a huge leap of faith for Walkinshaw,
they're taking all the risk here, not GM

·
Registered
464 Posts
It just isn't going to work. GM aren't going to make any RHD corvettes. They can barely make enough LHD ones and as detailed in the news ticker they are shutting down production because of a lack of parts. GM is dead in the RHD market and all of Australia is never going to buy another GM product ever again without facing treason charges. What GM did to Holden has the whole country baying for GM, Mary and her executives blood. They will be arrested as soon as they step on Australian soil and then fed to one of our dangerous animals for dinner.

Walkingshaw should know this and should be making there own cars with the myriad of ex holden, ford and toyota engineers looking for work. An Australian made Walkingshaw would have a tonne of street cred and would probably be the top selling make in very quick time.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
The last I saw the RHD Corvette was still on the cards but delayed (that was 04June). Haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise since.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The last I saw the RHD Corvette was still on the cards but delayed (that was 04June). Haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise since.
I recon GM have a bunch of RHD already made so this is their chance to get rid of them, no one in Australia is going to buy a GM product outside of maybe a pickup because all of them are not going to be factory RHD so will need converting and that will price them out of the market why buy say a GM SUV or car that is priced thousands more then a factory made RHD product from another manufacturer Camaro's didn't sell when you could get a Mustang for a lot cheaper and factory RHD. GM's reputation is in the toilet and is only sliding further down the s-bend. I mean I close Holden and then think 12 months later they can sneak in the back door with GMSV and people will be happy to buy them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bit of a thread dig but his section is dead anyway. Listening to the radio on the work this morning I heard an ad for what was until the close down one of Sydney's biggest Holden dealers, Suttons Holden and it's now a Ford dealer :cry: The new Ford yard is up the road from what was once the Holden dealer which is now a Honda dealer.

A picture from their history page.

Suttons Ford

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Yeah Booran Holden were our local dealer and they are supposed to be a GMSV dealer but all the changes at their yard are to Mitsubishi (they already had that franchise but have moved it to their larger facility. There is only only one small Holden sign left on the building.

·
Registered
464 Posts
No surprise. Holden signage has gone at Mcgrath Liverpool long ago. GMinsidenews should just close the holden thread down just as GM shut holden down. It no longer serves any purpose. How does one cancel their gminsidenews profile I wonder.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
No surprise. Holden signage has gone at Mcgrath Liverpool long ago. GMinsidenews should just close the holden thread down just as GM shut holden down. It no longer serves any purpose. How does one cancel their gminsidenews profile I wonder.
Stop posting, just like stop buying Holdens.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts