GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buyers looking to snap up a new-car bargain – driven by discounts of up to $17,500 – are running out of time and choice as Holden dealers sell out of stock faster than expected.

An investigation by CarAdvice has found most Holden dealers are keen to clear their remaining stock as quickly as possible, and some are now likely to run out of vehicles “within weeks”, while a small number of outlets are trying to stockpile and keep trading for a few months.

Sales at most leading Holden showrooms have tripled over the past week, leaving them with fewer than one or two dozen vehicles to clear.

“It’s like the 1990s again,” said a Holden dealer located in metropolitan Melbourne. “If we could have sold cars at this rate before, we wouldn’t need to shut down.”
More at link https://www.caradvice.com.au/830854...ars-within-weeks-after-buyers-rush-showrooms/

Methinks this suggests the cars were overpriced by around $7500 - $17,500...

·
Registered
12,747 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
Buyers looking to snap up a new-car bargain – driven by discounts of up to $17,500 – are running out of time and choice as Holden dealers sell out of stock faster than expected.

An investigation by CarAdvice has found most Holden dealers are keen to clear their remaining stock as quickly as possible, and some are now likely to run out of vehicles “within weeks”, while a small number of outlets are trying to stockpile and keep trading for a few months.

Sales at most leading Holden showrooms have tripled over the past week, leaving them with fewer than one or two dozen vehicles to clear.

“It’s like the 1990s again,” said a Holden dealer located in metropolitan Melbourne. “If we could have sold cars at this rate before, we wouldn’t need to shut down.”
More at link https://www.caradvice.com.au/830854...ars-within-weeks-after-buyers-rush-showrooms/

Methinks this suggests the cars were overpriced by around $7500 - $17,500...
Maybe GM has written off the cost of the vehicles as a way of giving dealers access to ready cash?
They did breach their obligations to local dealers.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Are the current Holdens that bad? Or has the market just changed?

On the website, I think the Ute still looks pretty cool. It's listed under "Utes" but is the Colorado, which is a great truck.

And I like the looks of the Commodore too, but I also like the Regal and that doesn't sell either.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Are the current Holdens that bad? Or has the market just changed?

On the website, I think the Ute still looks pretty cool. It's listed under "Utes" but is the Colorado, which is a great truck.

And I like the looks of the Commodore too, but I also like the Regal and that doesn't sell either.
Ok - I'm a mid-late 40's guy that had a litany of SS Commodores/HSV's over the last 20 years. My current daily is a Z71 Colorado which was best value for money at the time I bought it but alas it's the last Holden I'm ever likely to own. (even before the most recent announcement).

Put simply there is (was) **nothing** in their portfolio that was of interest to me. I've been thinking about what my future fleet is going to look like as I build my new garage (and house) to put them:

Family truckster: 200 Landcruiser
Mrsssuss Daily: Prado
My Daily: Z71 Colorado
Weekender: Aston Martin V8 Vantage

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yep, we've had a great couple of weeks. Selling lots of Colorado and cheap Trax.

We're getting loads of people giving us crazy offers on some cars like $30k for a 2019 VXR Commodore or $15k for a Trax, however overall there's been loads more activity than normal.

I would expect that most of the 'good stock' will be gone by the end of April.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
While it's sad, I'd rather dealer franchises get an opportunity to exit Holden ASAP.
No point in dragging this out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some dealers want it to drag on at the moment, as they don't want an empty showroom (they're still trying to organise new franchises to replace Holden). Multi-franchise dealers will probably want to move on quicker, as they have other brands that can make up for the loss of Holden.

·
Registered
389 Posts
They're brand new MY19 ZB LT liftbacks. Holden had a few hundred of them which they wholesaled to dealers at the end of last year at very attractive pricing. They were the only excess stocks remaining of ZB. The last few months of build are all MY20's, which are all destined for Police forces across Australia.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Not much evidence of this showing up in Holden's February sales numbers. Stories of Holden dealers selling out of remaining stock due to massive GM-funded discounts were not reflected in the sales charts, with the now-defunct Lion Brand tumbling 49.8 per cent to just 1367 units including just 598 Colorados, 132 bull dust Insignia Commodores, and 111 Equinoxes.

If somebody had said 10 years ago a Chinese MG HS would outsell a Holden Commodore in 2020, you would have got laughed out the bar.

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Not much evidence of this showing up in Holden's February sales numbers. Stories of Holden dealers selling out of remaining stock due to massive GM-funded discounts were not reflected in the sales charts, with the now-defunct Lion Brand tumbling 49.8 per cent to just 1367 units including just 598 Colorados, 132 bull dust Insignia Commodores, and 111 Equinoxes.
Why would they?

The sale started in March :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Why would they?

The sale started in March :rolleyes:
There will still be a quite a few Insignia's left around unsold next March, they will have to hold a raffle to get rid of them.

1st prize Holden Insignia
2nd prize Two Holden Insignia's
3rd prize Four Holden Insignia's

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
There will still be a quite a few Insignia's left around unsold next March, they will have to hold a raffle to get rid of them.

1st prize Holden Insignia
2nd prize Two Holden Insignia's
3rd prize Four Holden Insignia's
Whatever your opinion the facts are Gm's announcement was made mid February , a traditionally slow sales month in a down market

Some customers also had the option to cancel orders scheduled to be delivered in Feb and re order post the sale date but they would have to lose their 7 year warrantee offered in Feb

March figures should be inflated more than usual but I doubt they will be spectacular for Commodore as they are not being discounted much

Biggest winners will be Colorado and Trailbazer

Firstly because they are a model in a class that's in demand

Secondly because they're being shipped from Thailand and there are huge mark ups on them initially

There is not much margin in European sourced models

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Whatever your opinion the facts are Gm's announcement was made mid February , a traditionally slow sales month in a down market

Some customers also had the option to cancel orders scheduled to be delivered in Feb and re order post the sale date but they would have to lose their 7 year warrantee offered in Feb

March figures should be inflated more than usual but I doubt they will be spectacular for Commodore as they are not being discounted much

Biggest winners will be Colorado and Trailbazer

Firstly because they are a model in a class that's in demand

Secondly because they're being shipped from Thailand and there are huge mark ups on them initially

There is not much margin in European sourced models

LOL Insignia reduced $7,500 what a piece of massive depreciation worthless junk that sadly killed off the Holden brand. LINK

$25 billion dollar losers Opel group screwed up the Saab brand with the Vectra, now they have totally screwed up the Holden brand with the Insignia is there is no end to thier totally talentless dead boring car making car brand killing skills.

Unsold Insignia's will be around for years to come gathering dust covered in cobwebs in the corner hidden out the way at the new Kia, Skoda & MG ex Holden dealers in the future.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
12,747 Posts

LOL Insignia reduced $7,500 what a piece of massive depreciation worthless junk that sadly killed off the Holden brand. LINK

$25 billion dollar losers Opel group screwed up the Saab brand with the Vectra, now they have totally screwed up the Holden brand with the Insignia is there is no end to thier totally talentless dead boring car making car brand killing skills.

Unsold Insignia's will be around for years to come gathering dust covered in cobwebs in the corner hidden out the way at the new Kia, Skoda & MG ex Holden dealers in the future.
Get medical help mate you really need it

Reactions: JimmyDiablo

·
Registered
723 Posts

Under the guidance of the GM overlords in NA $25 billion dollar losers Opel group screwed up the Saab brand with the Vectra, now they have totally screwed up the Holden brand with the Insignia is there is no end to thier totally talentless dead boring car making car brand killing skills.

Fixed it for you :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dealers weren't able to deliver cars until March due to Holden having the 7 years free servicing offer in the marketplace through until the end of February.

Deals were getting done and deposits paid, under the provision that they weren't to be delivered until March and a waiver signed stipulating that they were not entitled to the free servicing offer but would rather take the March offer, which was a much larger cash discount.

It also doesn't help that Maven and company fleet registrations would have ceased once the announcement was made. This would amount to probably 400 to 500 units a month. There's also a large number of Police fleet ZB orders arriving over the next couple of months. These will be the final Commodore's arriving and are MY20 spec.

I expect the March result will be much more in-line with expectations.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Get medical help mate you really need it
It's Holden brand that need the medical help sadly it looks like they are gonna mate, how many millions will GM lose at Holden giving thier cars away for absolutely nothing in March? with huge $15,000 Aussies dollar discounts on the roof to get rid of them.

The only thing that is sick is the headline of this thread you being a bit of a galah can't see that, if every other brand was offering $15,000 discounts in Australia on thier cars l expect they would be following the Holden extinct Insignia Dodo.

All the other car brands will still be making cars March 2021, all that will be left will left at Holden will a load of unsold Insignia's, if there is anybody that needs medical help on here is you, you are suffering from mental bi-polar delusions of Holden Insignia grandeur, also called Holden grandiose delusions.

I personally find it absolutely disgusting GM are going to waste millions of dollars hard earned US made pick-up truck profits on $15,000 discounting on the roof of Holden's to shift the junk no wants in Australia.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts