·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Govt Names Our Most Petrol-Hungry Cars

Cathy Alexander
20 July 2008
www.drive.com.au

The Holden Commodore has been outed as the most petrol-hungry of Australia's big-selling cars, as motorists mull over how to combat high fuel prices.

The federal government has released a list of which cars use the most petrol to inform consumers - and it's bad news for Commodore and Falcon owners.

Of the most popular cars, the Commodore was top of the list, costing $2,430 in petrol a year and releasing 3.8 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

Next in line came the Ford Falcon, costing $2,272 and releasing 3.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

The Mazda 3 came third, costing $1,845, while the ever-popular Toyota Corolla came next with a $1,672 petrol price tag.

The cheapest fuel bill went to the Toyota Yaris, costing $1,350 a year.

The government has also rated five-star and hybrid cars. The cheapest to run is the Toyota Prius hybrid, which costs $990 in fuel each year, and releases 1.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
So the Corolla and Mazda 3 cost more to run than a Subaru Legacy, Toyota Aurion / Camry, Mazda 6 etc? What a rubbish article.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Wasn't it! Lets not talk about the territory or any flavour of the month SUVs. I went to check out a VW Tiguan the other day (okay so I was bored) and was astounded that it has worse fuel consumption (obvious) with far worse packaging/luggage capacity, than the Golf. It makes sense but there is a clear avoidance of assessing all these new cars that come to market and bring nothing but image.

Tall poppy indeed.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
. Strangely the Holden Commodore and Toyota Hilux have been listed as the best sellers in Australia , I guess the buyers did not know they were "gas guzzlers"? totally idiotic exercise by the government.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What about the 4WDS we so love.
Im sure Territiry Kluger and Landcruiser use a bit more than this.

When all is said and done C/dore to Corolla amounts to $14.72 a week.
Stuff all depending on your needs/wants in a vehicle.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
This article is comparing cars on sales rather than on size, price and function. So, if the Smart was selling as many as the Commodore we'd have headlines saying "Smart car more fuel efficient than a Commodore" - surprise that.
Lets just knock the home team, guys.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They try to save Australian auto industry then they go and do this? Stupid. Doesn't really take into consideration the size, the purpose etc

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The Hilux sells in big numbers but they don't break out the split between petrol and diesel - of course.

BTW - $800 difference over a year from a Commodore SV6 to a Corolla? Hmmm...let me think about this for a while :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Commodore = 10.9L/100km = $2430/year. Falcon = 10.2L/100km = $2272/year. Camry and Aurion = 9.9L/100km = less than $1672/year? Wonder how much Toyota paid the media this time...

·
Registered
286 Posts
The top-performer list on the govt website makes little sense, for some reason a couple of Mercs, Civic and Corolla (all ~7.4L/100km) have leap-frogged the list, ahead of the Smart fortwo and Civic Hybrid (~4.9L/100km).

I go by the theory someone posted on ls1.com.au; it's all gonna run out one day, so you might as well use up as much of it as you can while it's there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Commodore = 10.9L/100km = $2430/year. Falcon = 10.2L/100km = $2272/year. Camry and Aurion = 9.9L/100km = less than $1672/year? Wonder how much Toyota paid the media this time...
I am guessing a boat load of money. 10.9 for $2430 and 10.2 for $2272 seems correct. By my math though 9.9 should yield $2205 . Then the question goes for $225 bucks would you buy a Commodore or an Aurion?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Camry 4 cylinder runs **** on fuel, Why do Toyota sell that thing, When the Aurion runs better with more power, Work that out?.

I'm proud to say my Berlina since i have been driving it on the road is using 12.4l/100. I'm very happy with that currently.
Be much better once i replace a broken coil, And 2 year old plugs and leads:D.

Last look wasn't the Omega using 10.7l/100 ??.

Anyway i got an idea, Stick 5 fattys into a Camry or Corrola, Then do the same with a Falcon/Commodore.. Use the A/C it's hot 30+deg.. See who uses more fuel then :lmao:.

Example, Sisters Gen2, With A/C on 1 in the car, Uses 2 litres more average, From 6-7 towards 10.

VE Calais V6, 3 adults in car with A/C on, Average 8.8l/100.

Both highway driven.

I can also talk about suv types.. Territory took me to Bathurst in 05, 3 tanks of fuel.
Wasn't to impressed with economy, Was impressed with the Terra, But no it's fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts