GM Inside News Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Sales numbers by themselves are meaningless but add the value of revenue
and more importantly, profit to the company and we see the case of viability.

·
Registered
449 Posts
McDonalds sells more Burgers than anyone

But they're ****

Sales are not everything
Those burgers might not be to your or my liking but they sell more of them then any other brand and so there must be a reason for this. Sales are everything because if you don't sell things then how do you make money. The VN turned around the sales failure that was the VB-VL and made Holden profitable again. Again your mistaking a cult following with mainstream acceptance. The 6 and 8 cylinder cars were the sales backbone and the 6 turbo was a novelty with a cult following. If it was so successful then why didn't Holden keep the turbo for the VN?

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Those burgers might not be to your or my liking but they sell more of them then any other brand and so there must be a reason for this. Sales are everything because if you don't sell things then how do you make money. The VN turned around the sales failure that was the VB-VL and made Holden profitable again. Again your mistaking a cult following with mainstream acceptance. The 6 and 8 cylinder cars were the sales backbone and the 6 turbo was a novelty with a cult following. If it was so successful then why didn't Holden keep the turbo for the VN?
Exchange rate and floating the dollar caused the Nissan engine to be very expensive

It's still the best engine ever fitted to holden

NOte Holden boosted the 6 again later on

Why?

Because there was a market for a performance 6

Still is

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Definitively what now does make Holden 'special'?

For mine, in marketplace perception it appears to be an utterly fading 'loser' brand, and with loser resale on almost everything bar Colorado. Other brands tune for local. Let's face it, Holden's brand equity value is past-tense, shot to hell.

To the average punter, which brand do you reckon currently carries less baggage in social-stigma (read; buyers ego) - Holden, or say made-in-China MG?
Quite honestly, I think that Hyundai/Kia is the filling the role of the new "Holden", they are keen to build market share with aggressive pricing and take slim profits.

Toyota is way out in front with sales at the moment but I think H/K is going after the likes of Mazda and perhaps Mitsubishi and anyone counting on sales in those price sensitive segments.

Ford is off with the fairys and as long as they get enough +$40K sales, they're happy. As a volume car maker, they're acting rather pretentious by not selling entry level trims and trying to imitate an up market brand but with virtually no product depth. The big Ace in Ford's hand is its alliance with VW and what that ultimately means with vehicle sharing.

Holden now finds itself trapped in discount world, the moment they try to ask decent prices, sales begin to sink. They're in a world of hate with products that buyers have mixed feelings about. There are still some strategies open to them but they need the right people there to make it happen, very unfortunate they didn't have Dave Buttner in there earlier, I think he would have managed the transition much better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think Holden are a little lazy with the money they make off Colorado. That does not help dealers though as they need the volume.

I would love to see Holden take some risks with product and to keep nameplates going. Holden Spark was my personal forgotten hero - its just the kind of car Holden needed to get buyers in the door, or to keep mum and dad with Holden when they needed a new second car or buy a first car for their son and daughter. It was also healthy for the dealer forecourt to have some bright coloured cars that attracted a much different buyer to the typical Commodore or Colorado owner.

Spark was selling well even with a 3 year warranty against Kias 7 year and Mitsubishis 5 year, it was also the pick of the segment. Holden brings out 5 year warranty and.... drops Spark.

Spark continues in NZ, I know there is no money in this type of car. But Holden shouldnt be afraid to take on the Koreans and the ***anese at their own game, shows confidence which Holden needs right now.

Maybe bring out the CrossSpark SUV version that way they can charge more for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sales are not everything

The Turbo 6 or in fact any hot 6 in Australia has always had a following since the 70's

Charger

XU1

VL Turbo

XR6

XR6 Turbo

Need I say more?
Every one of them is an inline 6 and RWD, can't say I've ever seen a V6 with FWD or AWD that comes anywhere near these as far as "cult" following in Australia.

You can also add to the fact that they were all developed here in Australia too, that plays a part in their popularity too.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Every one of them is an inline 6 and RWD, can't say I've ever seen a V6 with FWD or AWD that comes anywhere near these as far as "cult" following in Australia.

You can also add to the fact that they were all developed here in Australia too, that plays a part in their popularity too.
I was talking about a V6Turbo Caddy

Doesn't have to be a V8 to be taken to heart in Aus

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Very sad to see Holden in such a sorry ole state, lowest sales ever FWD Insignia led to new lows, and the boss falls on his sword who was going to be Holden's great saviour when he arrived.

Looking at the current line-up the future does not look good, l personally would not buy anything thats on offer nothing appeals to me personally one little bit, maybe the Aussie car buyers feel the same way, that said Holden have made some absolutely fantastic cars in the past they just seem to have lost thier mojo, it's all about product.

Good luck to Holden, and l hope the boss finds another job.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Buttner did not "fall on his sword" he's not that sort of bloke he left for personal reasons not because of Holdens position :rolleyes:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was talking about a V6Turbo Caddy

Doesn't have to be a V8 to be taken to heart in Aus
A turbo V6 Caddy might work but I'm still not sure it would get the cult following the others have had over the years. Apart from the things I've already mentioned those previous Aussie 6 cylinder cars were plentiful, reasonably economical to buy and modify and aftermarket parts were/are fairly plentiful. A Caddy will never be cheap and as a result I doubt there would ever be enough around that people would start modifying them. Cheap and easy to modify is a big part of the LS V8's popularity.

For the record I like the idea of a VT-VZ sized turbo V6 RWD sedan. The TT V6 Torana concept would be a near perfect drive car in my mind, if they had put it into production I have no doubt it would have been a cult classic.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
A turbo V6 Caddy might work but I'm still not sure it would get the cult following the others have had over the years. Apart from the things I've already mentioned those previous Aussie 6 cylinder cars were plentiful, reasonably economical to buy and modify and aftermarket parts were/are fairly plentiful. A Caddy will never be cheap and as a result I doubt there would ever be enough around that people would start modifying them. Cheap and easy to modify is a big part of the LS V8's popularity.

For the record I like the idea of a VT-VZ sized turbo V6 RWD sedan. The TT V6 Torana concept would be a near perfect drive car in my mind, if they had put it into production I have no doubt it would have been a cult classic.
Agreed

Just another mis step from GM not letting Holden go through with it

Reactions: hq308

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had high hopes for him but even Jesus Christ himself could not save Holden from GM a t the moment I think

There just isn't enough of the right product at GM to fix the issues

61 - 75 of 75 Posts