19,260 Posts
Do a Whois search on it and says it was created 2005-05-30
interesting when you do an ASIC search on Cadillac Australia it says
Business name: CADILLAC (GM) AUSTRALIA
Registration date: 10/07/2008
Renewal date: 11/07/2019
Cancelled date: 21/11/2019
Two possibilities:
1) It's entering Australia under an "International" banner, probably as Holden or "GM Australia" is basically done for
2) Cadillac is no longer headed for Australia

Either way, it's GM continuing to retreat and more evidence of the slow erosion of commitment to Cadillac and "hard" markets that are letting you know GM is going down the tubes.

I suspect a Chinese Buick will be the next Commodore and possibly another Buick for an Astra replacement. The Chinese Buicks are getting pretty bloody good.Volvo is sourcing their XC40 from there for the Australian market, consumers will get slowly used to it if there is a value story, it wont work if you are charging German Commodore money.

Regardless Holden needs a broader range, the other brands are have close to double the models that Holden offer now. Id bring back the Spark, those cars are a good hedge for a slowing economy. New baby Trailblazer and Bolt look pretty likely for Australia.

I see a bright future for Holden. I have lived through the rumours around Mitsubishi and Ford leaving Australia. The key difference now is the massive GM investments in VSS platforms across all lines that are designed to be dirt cheap for RHD and the big investment by GM in EVs that could be a huge turning point for vehicle markets everywhere.

The dealers need volume and buyers need reassurance. It would be good to have Mark Reuss or Mary Barra giving a statement of GM commitment to Australia and with a concrete example of a new or replacement model coming to Australia (excluding Corvette). Buyers need to hear it to give them the excuse to go ahead with a purchase or put Holden on the shopping list.
Dirt cheap isn't zero cost, so I still wouldn't count on RHD.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Two possibilities:
1) It's entering Australia under an "International" banner, probably as Holden or "GM Australia" is basically done for
2) Cadillac is no longer headed for Australia

Either way, it's GM continuing to retreat and more evidence of the slow erosion of commitment to Cadillac and "hard" markets that are letting you know GM is going down the tubes.

Dirt cheap isn't zero cost, so I still wouldn't count on RHD.
The other option that hasn't been considered is a cheapened CT4-5 or whatever alphabet soup they're using now becomes the basis for a new Commodore

A long shot but if you're not bothering with Caddy in Australia (which I agree with by the way) then that's the next best option

I honestly don't think Australians will buy Caddy's at the prices they would have to be sold at in this country

No 100K plus Caddy's wont sell but perhaps a 60k Commodore will

·
Registered
449 Posts
Australia is a really small market to invest in. It's easy to become unprofitable in Australia very quickly. It either succeeds on GM's global footprint, or it doesn't.
Yet Holden was profitable even when it was making only 3,000 vehicles a month for Australia. It was GM that has destroyed Holden by siphoning money from Holden to help keep it afloat in 2008. It is GM who has destroyed Holden because of their interference since removing hanenberger.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The other option that hasn't been considered is a cheapened CT4-5 or whatever alphabet soup they're using now becomes the basis for a new Commodore

A long shot but if you're not bothering with Caddy in Australia (which I agree with by the way) then that's the next best option

I honestly don't think Australians will buy Caddy's at the prices they would have to be sold at in this country

Have you not been paying attention. The only 60K commodores that have ever sold are the ones with a v8 in them. v6 commodores need to be in the 30k bracket especially now more then ever since Australians don't have money to buy new cars period and the new car market is shrinking significantly.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Have you not been paying attention. The only 60K commodores that have ever sold are the ones with a v8 in them. v6 commodores need to be in the 30k bracket especially now more then ever since Australians don't have money to buy new cars period and the new car market is shrinking significantly.
It doesn't have to be a V8

Available would be nice but V6 Turbo is just as good

·
Registered
425 Posts
When all the $$$ got channeled to China, Australia became insignificant and a burden, they are not even trying.
EU, Australia, US, Canada (closing plants?), lessons they refuse to learn. GM took all these markets for granted.
The commies are bitches and they will suck you dry for your technology and talent then dump you to the curb once they got a decent grip on things.
Short term profit for long term demise ! YAAAY might dollar !

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
A v6 turbo wouldn't cut it. A 6 cylinder turbo might work for other brands but it won't work for Holden.
It has before

The VL Turbo has a huge following 30 plus years after the last one rolled off the assembly line

A Commodore around the size of the VT -VZ with a twin Turbo V6 would be a big hit with performance 4 door buyers

It's a niche market though and GM doesnt seem to be interested

·
Registered
19,260 Posts

I don't think you guys will be that "lucky." I used to think and hope that there would be some kind of triple Chevrolet-Cadillac-Holden RWD coupe/sedan duo, but I just don't see it anymore.

It's too fantastical for what has very plainly revealed itself as an exceptionally risk-averse GM.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It has before

The VL Turbo has a huge following 30 plus years after the last one rolled off the assembly line

A Commodore around the size of the VT -VZ with a twin Turbo V6 would be a big hit with performance 4 door buyers

It's a niche market though and GM doesnt seem to be interested
No it didn't. There weren't many turbo's sold and there were many more plain 6's and v8's sold then I6 turbo's and the vl was not the most successful commodore. I would suggest that the VL has a niche cult following rather then a huge following. The nissan 6 was also extremely expensive which is why Holden moved to the buick v6.

The VN sold 64,000 more vehicles then the VL (151,801 - 215,180).

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
No it didn't. There weren't many turbo's sold and there were many more plain 6's and v8's sold then I6 turbo's and the vl was not the most successful commodore. I would suggest that the VL has a niche cult following rather then a huge following. The nissan 6 was also extremely expensive which is why Holden moved to the buick v6.

The VN sold 64,000 more vehicles then the VL (151,801 - 215,180).
Sales are not everything

The Turbo 6 or in fact any hot 6 in Australia has always had a following since the 70's

Charger

XU1

VL Turbo

XR6

XR6 Turbo

Need I say more?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Umm, can anyone explain this?

https://cadillacaustralia.com/
Doing a Whois lookup on the domain indicates it's that RHD conversion company in Melbourne.
I don't think GM really have anything to do with their operations (other than being the original source of the vehicles, of course).

Domain Name: CADILLACAUSTRALIA.COM
Registry Domain ID: 163428920_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.synergywholesale.com
Registrar URL: http://whois.synergywholesale.com
Updated Date: 2017-05-16 15:02:00
Creation Date: 2005-05-30 06:08:24
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2020-05-30 06:08:24
Registrar: Synergy Wholesale
Registrar IANA ID: 1609
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +61 3 8399 9483
Reseller: VentraIP Australia
Reseller: http://www.ventraip.com.au
Reseller: [email protected]
Domain Status: ok http://www.icann.org/epp#ok
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: James Hill
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 4 Mosrael Place
Registrant City: Rowville
Registrant State/Province: VIC
Registrant Postal Code: 3178
Registrant Country: AU
Registrant Phone: +61.390138464
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Email: [email protected]

Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts