GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holden boss Dave Buttner has stepped down as chairman and managing director after just 16 months in the job – one of the shortest tenures in the company’s 71-year history – following the lowest sales since the company was formed in 1948.

The former Toyota executive had come out of retirement to become only the second Australian boss to run Holden after it had been led for 25 years by foreign executives. Mr Buttner had vowed to turn Holden around after the shutdown of Australian car manufacturing in October 2017.

But Holden – which had 50 per cent of the entire car market in the 1950s, and was last Australia’s top-selling brand in 2002 – has struggled to stay inside the Top 10 sellers list over the past two years.

Full article here: https://www.caradvice.com.au/811317...he-company-posts-its-lowest-sales-since-1948/

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
He said he only went to Holden as he thought it was worth saving. I guess he doesnt think so now.

Reactions: Self Reliance

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hope his health is OK, gotta give him some kudos for trying to save Holden.

That said, Holden has been dead man walking since Head Office kicked out Hanenberger and culled engineering pre the VE release.

The brand itself won't survive 2020, do they need to name a "permanent" replacement?

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Heard he left sick a few weeks ago and never returned.... I don't think it was planned as they haven't named a permanent replacement.
Wheels has reported that it's for personal reasons that they wouldn't go into any further

I think it's poorly timed but has nothing to do with company results as many have speculated

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well they did say that RHD versions of Caddy's were coming
I thought it was just pure speculation? I didn't realise it was a done deal.

So, I wonder which models then, if any, will make it over here? They'll need SUV's, no point in bringing in just sedans. The XT4, XT5, XT6 and Escalade will all need to be made available.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well they did say that RHD versions of Caddy's were coming
I thought it was just pure speculation? I didn't realise it was a done deal.

So, I wonder which models then, if any, will make it over here? They'll need SUV's, no point in bringing in just sedans. The XT4, XT5, XT6 and Escalade will all need to be made available.
Depending how Holden financially implodes, GM may have to spend some time in the penalty box before starting up a new local presence.

Given their form, the string of so obviously bad or bad faith decisions (export curbing, Korean GM inflictions, profit shifting, 4-speed VEs, taxpayer rorting, and that thing with Punch) I hold only very faint hopes that Holden's demise will be honorable.

In which case, Cadillac and Chevrolet lands here at their peril. They can kiss my @rse.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Best wishes for Butner's personal situation, whatever it is? At least he appeared to give it a go.

However its hard to ignore those company results, imo. Holden sales keep descending, no respite! You'd hope it would have tapered off by now. Worst result since 1948 inception, really? It's a dead brand walking... no, crawling.

I note the once dirisible Kia brand now outsells Ford (!) including its wonderfully successful Ranger. This despite Kia offering no Ute/Pickup, in a Pickup-dominated market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depending how Holden financially implodes, GM may have to spend some time in the penalty box before starting up a new local presence.

Given their form, the string of so obviously bad or bad faith decisions (export curbing, Korean GM inflictions, profit shifting, 4-speed VEs, taxpayer rorting, and that thing with Punch) I hold only very faint hopes that Holden's demise will be honorable.

In which case, Cadillac and Chevrolet lands here at their peril. They can kiss my @rse.
I'm almost betting that GM will remain in Australia, but on a much smaller scale. I think 2020 will be the last of the Holden brand as we know it and GM will be represented instead by many brands - GMC, Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Maybe not all of them, but a few. Having said that though, I still don't see how GM would/could make a business case stack up for anything in RHD. Yes, the new Corvette will be here and the Camaro and Silverado are being converted to RHD in Australia, but Cadillac?? Buick?? If GMC and Chevrolet are established here, I'll bet, apart from the Camaro and Corvette, everything else will be SUV's and Ute's (Pickup's)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Holden will bounce back. Just need to have someone come in and focus on what makes Holden special - its history, its an Australian brand and its locally tuned vehicles.

Really the product that is letting the whole side down is Equinox, if that was selling CRV, Xtrail, Forester or Outlander numbers Holden would be fine with where the other cars are at.

They do need to focus on volume, the ute market at the bottom is crying out for a cheap 4 cylinder petrol tradie-special colorado cab chassis, at the top end there would be a stampede for a V8 Colorado.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I'm almost betting that GM will remain in Australia, but on a much smaller scale. I think 2020 will be the last of the Holden brand as we know it and GM will be represented instead by many brands - GMC, Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Maybe not all of them, but a few. Having said that though, I still don't see how GM would/could make a business case stack up for anything in RHD. Yes, the new Corvette will be here and the Camaro and Silverado are being converted to RHD in Australia, but Cadillac?? Buick?? If GMC and Chevrolet are established here, I'll bet, apart from the Camaro and Corvette, everything else will be SUV's and Ute's (Pickup's)
Chevrolet failed in Europe and Cadillac's several restarts there always failed - if GM haven't figured out why, then they probably shouldn't bother with Australia if Holden fails - GM's one consistency is that it doesn't understand foreign markets, not that it understands North America too well at times either.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Holden will bounce back. Just need to have someone come in and focus on what makes Holden special - its history, its an Australian brand and its locally tuned vehicles.
Definitively what now does make Holden 'special'?

For mine, in marketplace perception it appears to be an utterly fading 'loser' brand, and with loser resale on almost everything bar Colorado. Other brands tune for local. Let's face it, Holden's brand equity value is past-tense, shot to hell.

To the average punter, which brand do you reckon currently carries less baggage in social-stigma (read; buyers ego) - Holden, or say made-in-China MG?

·
Registered
425 Posts

Really the product that is letting the whole side down is Equinox, if that was selling CRV, Xtrail, Forester or Outlander numbers Holden would be fine with where the other cars are at.

They do need to focus on volume, the ute market at the bottom is crying out for a cheap 4 cylinder petrol tradie-special colorado cab chassis, at the top end there would be a stampede for a V8 Colorado.
GM will fail slowly all around the world. EU is all but gone. Australia is next. They cant compete with the love aussies have for Toyota and it is well deserved. Their market is shirking worldwide, even with the trucks here in NA (though some of the members here still hide their heads in the sand). They abandoned the small sedan market because "it doesn't sell", however, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai seem to be doing pretty well.
Holden is most probably doomed unless things change radically for GM around the world. I don't see any nice products coming down the line and now it is way too late to rebuild a reputation for reliability.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
It’s getting to the point where it’s just not worth staying in Australia, everyone is turning their backs on GM, time to just let Holden go.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts