GM Inside News Forum banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
They're pilot builds, early production cars for marketing, etc.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Julian Blissett flew in over the weekend and gave the news to Kristian and others this morning. They've probably been planning it in the regional office/the US for a while and have been waiting for the Thai factory deal with Great Wall/Haval to be finalised prior to making the final decision.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wanted to be hopeful. I wanted to believe that GM still had some sort of heart, and vision and soul.

Instead this just confirms what we all knew deep down.

GM has become an inward looking, xenophobic, short term thinking, profit whore. It will now exist as an American company. A company so short sighted and spineless that anything that doesn't earn immediate approval and return for shareholders is deemed too hard and punted.

Barra talks about making difficult decisions. And says this is one of them. Wrong Mary. This is the easy one. This is the easy way out.

Difficult is to find ways to make hard situations easy. To find solutions to problems.

RHD isn't ****ing hard. Every other major car company somehow manages to make it work. Using small market size as an excuse only works because you excised every other RHD market in the world because they were too hard too.

Let me give you a tip GM. If you think Silverados and the NA market are enough to warrant a long term survival strategy you are more introspective and more representative of what the rest of the world already thinks of America than I ever gave you credit for. The Trumpism of America First has permeated a once great, inspirational, global leader into an automotive pariah.

Your self flagellation and lack of spine is breathtaking.

As a life long, passionate Holden fan, and an owner of 15 of them, I'm sorry I ever believed that the emotion and passion that the industry stirred would be enough to ever withstand your accountant based bureaucracy. I'm sorry I wasted my time, my dedication and most of all my money on such ignorance.

My Acadia will be sold within months. The Colorado will follow. My heart aches for the dealers, the employees and those who have poured their minds, hearts and souls into this company. What a waste. What an utter utter waste.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Leaving unprofitable markets is a fact of business. Australians bought imports in larger and larger numbers.

If holden sold more vehicles in the past then GM wouldnt have closed up shop.

Im sorry for all the people out of work soon and for those enthusiasts who loved the holden brand.

Profits are where GM is headed with future focus.

The coronavirus could pose serious economic crisis issues for everyone.

I believe the chinese plan to economically invade Australia motivated gm to concede the holden brand in that country.

Sad to think tesla will sell more cars in Australia soon.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Leaving unprofitable markets is a fact of business. Australians bought imports in larger and larger numbers.

Im sorry for all the people out of work soon and for those enthusiasts who loved the holden brand.

I believe the chinese plan to economically invade Australia motivated gm to concede the holden brand in that country.

GM have no one but themselves to blame

They are the ones who made the rod for their own back

50 odd other manufacturers send vehicles halfway around the world for less numbers that what Holden were selling there must be a dollar in it or they wouldn't bother

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
50 odd other manufacturers send vehicles halfway around the world for less numbers that what Holden were selling there must be a dollar in it or they wouldn't bother
Even after incurring the additional costs of RHD, those 50 odd still make a dollar shipping them halfway round the world.

GMNA has always had some sort of aversion to RHD - I guess that happens when you've only got half a brain!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Hard to sell vehicles when the parent company keeps screwing you over.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Holden was doomed the moment GM killed Pontiac.
I feel the same. As a lifelong Pontiac enthusiast who purchased 3 new Pontiac Holden's and still owns our beloved 2009 G8 GT. I would also own a Pontiac G8 GT ST had the Ute ever arrived on our shores as intended.

Reactions: hq308

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I feel the same. As a lifelong Pontiac enthusiast who purchased 3 new Pontiac Holden's and still owns our beloved 2009 G8 GT. I would also own a Pontiac G8 GT ST had the Ute ever arrived on our shores as intended.
I really wish Pontiac had a few more years of life so that the Ute could have arrived on our shores. I don't understand why it couldn't have become a Chevy like the G8/SS. Change the front clip.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I really wish Pontiac had a few more years of life so that the Ute could have arrived on our shores. I don't understand why it couldn't have become a Chevy like the G8/SS. Change the front clip.
it WAS built as the Lumina ST for the MIDDLE EAST markets before GMNA "knew better" and decided Suburbans and "W" Impalas is a better "fit"

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
the G8 ST is the ONLY vehicle ever I put a deposit on and would have ordered sight unseen
Ha,ha, I would have as well. Did you enter into the "name this Pontiac" contest for the US bound Ute? The guy who won got hosed, but I think GM did offer him a G8 sedan instead of the stillborn Ute.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Why give sales to a brand your trying to kill off.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
GMNA has always had some sort of aversion to RHD - I guess that happens when you've only got half a brain!
For GM RHD is very difficult obviously, a brain surgery grade engineering challenge. In the early 2000's, GM sent an exec to Holden to try to lobby the government to allow LHD sales in Australia. A true cart before the horse GM moment, one of many.

About 3-4 years ago I had a first hand experience witnessing GM struggle with RHD Epsilon 2 (Insignia) design. The then LHD platform literally landed on Opel's desk, and Detroit just said "here, fix this".

·
Registered
18 Posts
For GM RHD is very difficult obviously, a brain surgery grade engineering challenge. In the early 2000's, GM sent an exec to Holden to try to lobby the government to allow LHD sales in Australia. A true cart before the horse GM moment, one of many.

About 3-4 years ago I had a first hand experience witnessing GM struggle with RHD Epsilon 2 (Insignia) design. The then LHD platform literally landed on Opel's desk, and Detroit just said "here, fix this".
One evidence that GM wasn't paying much attention when they designed the first generation Insignia for RHD markets was the PRND indicators in the automatic gearbox that were hidden by the gear lever.

No, really, look...

They didn't even bother switching the position of the gearbox facia.

241 - 255 of 255 Posts