GM Inside News Forum banner

HHR to Malibu platform, your thoughts?

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  nferr 
#1 ·
Being a current Maxx owner, I like my midsize car with extra storage space and versatility I currently have. The other vehicle I considered was the HHR, but chose the Maxx because of its interior space, V6, and larger command of the road. I just wonder if anyone else has thought of what a HHR would be like with the larger frame, 3.5 V6, and perhaps an awd option. You could even have both vehicles if you gave the new Malibu derivative a unique and futuristic face. Am I alone….

#2 ·
I am with you. One of the reasons why I bought a Vue over the HHR was its overall space.

On the other hand I like the fact that Chevy has a small 4 cylinder retro truck as opposed to another thirsty midsize SUV.

If I were going to replace my commuter (Cobalt), I would want something small like the HHR just because it can handle 90% of what the Vue can do with better fuel economy and I would be the only person in the car most of the time anyway.

#3 ·
I wanted the HHR for it's current size and ecomomy. It is had of been bigger, I would not even considered it. V6 and AWD are items not needed with it. Plenty of other SUV's/CUV's out there clogging that mess.

#7 ·
I'm not sure how this idea would fly but... I think GM should offer an Epsilon-sized MPV. A "supersized" Zafira, if you will.

Maybe it's just because I need such a vehicle, and nobody offers one. The Kia Rondo comes close, but it's rather cheap. Since Epsilon-sized midsize cars are Americans' #1 choice for family vehicles, it makes sense that an MPV that's Malibu-, not Cobalt-, based might find market success. The Rondo's selling much better than Kia expected.

With minivans and SUVs quickly gaining an unfavorable image, maybe the time's right for a midsize MPV.

But please. Enough with the retro themes. I'm beyond sick of it.

#8 ·
I'm happy with my LS on the current platform. The 2.2 with the 5 spd is peppy considering how light the vehicle is and is averaging over 32 mpg. When I have the need for speed, I pull the Monte SS out of the garage and listen to the sweet sound of the LS4 singing through the Magnaflow.

#9 ·
Well, I think the HHR would be good on a smaller version of the Malibu platform. That way, the HHR can be stretched out (giving it potentially 3 rows like the Kia Rondo), or it can be raised and given AWD (like the Toyota Vensa, or whatever their new wagon is), or perhaps lowered and given a V6 SS engine, etc.

Yeah, the Malibu platform would give the HHR more variety.

#10 ·
Most other automakers build their "full-size" MPVs out of their midsize platforms (Toyota Sienna -> Camry, Honda Odyssey -> Accord, Renault Espace -> Laguna, Nissan Quest -> Altima/Maxima, Ford Galaxy/S-Max -> Mondeo). The original "dustbuster" GM minivans were born out of extensively modified A-body (mid-size) platform. I also believe GM actually planned an Epsilon-based people mover for both Opel and North America.

Malibu MAXX afficionados - flood GM with emails and letters asking for a Malibu wagon.

#12 ·
Being a current Maxx owner, I like my midsize car with extra storage space and versatility I currently have. The other vehicle I considered was the HHR, but chose the Maxx because of its interior space, V6, and larger command of the road. I just wonder if anyone else has thought of what a HHR would be like with the larger frame, 3.5 V6, and perhaps an awd option. You could even have both vehicles if you gave the new Malibu derivative a unique and futuristic face. Am I alone….
Think the HHR can stay on the new DeltaII platform as it will be wider with a longer WB and rumors of AWD.

Another option is to use the outgoing Epsilon platform (the 9-3 has XWD), the 3.5 is availble and it is wider and longer for more room saving costs, and the current Epsilon is still a competitive platform and could be used for a new HHR.

#13 ·
I bet I am the only one who thinks The Chevy HHR should be built on the Pontiac Vibe's platform. Slightly smaller engine then the HHR slightly bigger then the Vibe but same space as HHR. Lighter it would get better gas mileage.

Is this desc clear as mudd or what? :p

#14 ·
I would have liked the idea when it first came out to but now that gas is $4.00 a gallon and there are a 100 other "cute utes" available I think the HHR is right where it needs to be. I think if you try and make every vehicle be everything (3 row) you actually reduce the desireability for most people.

#20 ·
I couldn't agree more. GM is coming out with a million RWD cars but totally forgetting AWD cars (Minus Saab's upcoming XWD system). I would like to see the HHR keep its 4 cylinder engines and just add an AWD option for people who need to get through snow. The fuel economy will be less but still probably better than a Subaru. The HHR SS with AWD should also be made.

#18 ·
I think GM should build a Malibu wagon and keep the HHR on the Delta (Delta II) chassis.

The Delta II chassis is going to get some refinements, including a tighter stick shift (SAAB may help with that one), DI engines, and the rumored turbo 1.4L engine.

As it is, the HHR is pretty space efficient compared to most cars except for maybe the Xb or Element. That little panel trucklet seems to be a hot seller, and if it can average 25 mpg then it's doing quite well. The 2.2L 5 speed versions seem to be averaging over 30mpg according to truedelta.

We just ordered takeout from McAllisters and they brought all 14 meals to our office in a panel HHR.

Although, an HHR wagon would make for an interesting comparison to the undoubtedly larger Ford Flex...but I think the Traverse will cover that pretty easily. Maybe they can make a wood panel version that doesn't look so cheesy. It's more upright, so it should flow better than the PT woodie.

#23 ·
If HHR makes it, it will go onto the new Delta II platform, which is bigger and will be built along side perhaps the MPV that will probably make it to Saturn.
Chevy could make a 5 passanger HHR and have a TON of rear space. A more modern Chevy face would look good too,.

#26 · (Edited)
Now that CAFE is fleet wide, it doesn't matter that the HHR is a truck.

I picture the car based wagons to be station wagons or something pretty close (better aerodynamics, lower roofline, etc).

The days of the PT and HHR might be numbered....but then again, so is the Equinox if station wagons gain in popularity. The Tahoe and Suburban might stay, but they'd have to limit production because the people buying them will need a real SUV....they won't be soccer moms. j

Then again, we might end up in a pickle....government mandated fuel economy standards dictate smaller cars, but what if (and this is a big possibility given what we have just found out) oil prices drop back down to $60/bbl? The market will demand larger cars. If Chevrolet loses cars like the HHR, which are popular given their styling.

#27 ·
Utility-wise the Maxx is a great car. We bought one for my daughters to drive (right now it's up at college with them), and for our occasional use. The Maxx has more room (lots more IMO) than my wife's BMW X3. Fold the seats down and there's a lot of carrying space. And it gets 30 MPG on the highway with a V6.

My daughters hate it (not a cool car) but it's been 100% reliable. I'm amazed it didn't sell better. Great inexpensive family car with lots of room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.