GM Inside News Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I think the split after the major rehash of things and the new store design themes was Buick/GMC and Chevrolet/Cadillac pairings, but with a few exceptions as I previously mentioned.
Cadillac is it's own separate entity. Even where it is teamed up with others, they tend to have their own showroom.

Chevy is it's own pairing, trucks and cars/CUVs).

GMC (trucks) used to be paired with Buick (cars). But GMC has expanded into the CUV category that has mostly replaced cars, and Buick, having dropped it's cars, only exists as CUVs, so that pairing just gets you two matching sets of CUVs in the same dealership.

I believe Buick only exists because the HUGE Chinese market demands Buicks, which they like to think of as American, even though they aren't. If the US dropped Buick, it would be difficult for the Chinese to think of them as American.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Natural disasters are a disaster for EV's, especially stone age BEV's.

Fuel Cell EV's will be the distant future and powered with fossil fuel.

In the meantime a Plug-In Hybrid is far superior to any other options since it has the range/fast refuel required to evacuate a disaster and provides 30+ miles of EV driving which is plenty for most drivers and future models should be able to deliver 50 miles. Gas driving provides a significant improvement in average MPG's and can drastically reduce fuel use/emissions using existing refueling infrastructure and will not create blackouts due to excessively high power demands.

BEV's will be the gas guzzling SUV/Trucks of the past and hated by everyone whose electric bill triples, quadruples or worse.
My light bill went up $14 a month.....my fuel bill went down $120 a month (cuz it doesn't use any) which means I'm saving money and again, gas stations might not have power during blackouts either. I agree there should be more PHEV's, definitely. I think killing the Volt was stupid. They should have kept it, added the Voltec powertrain to the Equinox and the Colorado to start with, to supplement their BEV push for those who drive farther and/or want the gasoline-refill convenience.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Cadillac is it's own separate entity. Even where it is teamed up with others, they tend to have their own showroom.

GMC (trucks) used to be paired with Buick (cars). But GMC has expanded into the CUV category that has mostly replaced cars, and Buick, having dropped it's cars, only exists as CUVs, so that pairing just gets you two matching sets of CUVs in the same dealership.

I believe Buick only exists because the HUGE Chinese market demands Buicks, which they like to think of as American, even though they aren't. If the US dropped Buick, it would be difficult for the Chinese to think of them as American.
Buick only exists because internally its handled as GMC...if you look at the Buick "lineup" there isn't much overlap w/ GMC in 2021...the Encore GX & Envision slots in beneath and above the Terrain but beneath the Acadia, and the Enclave slots above the Acadia...this can work similar to how the DJCR lineup works.

In hindsight, Pontiac/Hummer could've still lived within this same construct with Performance cars like the G8 and Solstice and off roaders like the H3. Running a "brand" isn't that expensive, there's no reason why the engineering team for the Trucks/Yukon can't work on a H4x 4 door or Enclave engineers working on a (fill in the blank) ...it only gets expensive when you try to develop a complete top/down lineup for each brand with it's own engineering/powertrain teams...and their own dealership networks, thats what did old GM in.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,047 Posts

Not so. We have Two dealers here and neither have separate Cadillac showrooms.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and people snap up their products. The Germans would've destroyed us had we not stood up to them in the 1940's, and we snap up their products - I'd say China is no different.
Welcome to Capitalism....morals, ethics, allegiance mean nothing to The Dollar.

(No, don't read that as a call for something else, but companies do tend to stop caring about things when it comes to money)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Running a "brand" isn't that expensive, there's no reason why the engineering team for the Trucks/Yukon can't work on a H4x 4 door or Enclave engineers working on a (fill in the blank) ...it only gets expensive when you try to develop a complete top/down lineup for each brand with it's own engineering/powertrain teams...and their own dealership networks, thats what did old GM in.
GM Powertrain took over in 1982 - there hasn't been Divisional-proprietary engineering/powertrain teams since.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Welcome to Capitalism....morals, ethics, allegiance mean nothing to The Dollar.

(No, don't read that as a call for something else, but companies do tend to stop caring about things when it comes to money)
Which is something I've always said about corporate America. "It's all about the Almighty dollar".

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
GM Powertrain took over in 1982 - there hasn't been Divisional-proprietary engineering/powertrain teams since.
k...what about chassis engineering/development is that divisional as well or was that centralized? And design, is that by division or centralized...point being does anything need to be compartmentalized nowadays.

What we know is that up to last year, there was a Camaro team... there was a Corvette team, and there still is a truck team.

And if that's not how things go, what is the benefit of killing a brand if the brand is nothing but a styling motif and a badge?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There's a lot of 'there's no unilateral rule' in the answers to these questions. Some individual models and some distinct chassis' have their own teams, as you allude to.
From an OEM standpoint- there may not be a pile of reasons to discontinue a brand, but once you pull the dealership equation into the mix, some answers may change.

I -being much more aligned to far distant Divisional operations, when things were distinct & proprietary- look at 'cross-brand products' today more like trim levels. Once Divisional engineering is gone, there's not much else.

The vintage Buick I own shares less than 10% of it's entirety with any other GM brand, and then, that practice [the catayst of GM] pushed GM to about 54% market share. Still, some folk whined that 'GM was competing with itself' without providing any data how that was a bad thing. Which it wasn't. It all bottomed out in the 1980s and that damning Fortune magazine cover.

Prophetic; guess which way the winds are blowing with the onset of EVs??

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
There's a lot of 'there's no unilateral rule' in the answers to these questions. Some individual models and some distinct chassis' have their own teams, as you allude to.
From an OEM standpoint- there may not be a pile of reasons to discontinue a brand, but once you pull the dealership equation into the mix, some answers may change.

I -being much more aligned to far distant Divisional operations, when things were distinct & proprietary- look at 'cross-brand products' today more like trim levels. Once Divisional engineering is gone, there's not much else.

The vintage Buick I own shares less than 10% of it's entirety with any other GM brand, and then, that practice [the catayst of GM] pushed GM to about 54% market share. Still, some folk whined that 'GM was competing with itself' without providing any data how that was a bad thing. Which it wasn't. It all bottomed out in the 1980s and that damning Fortune magazine cover.

Pardon me for changing a subject and asking, but what is this vintage Buick of which you mention, and I seem to have not heard about?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts

Right, with Buick being lumped in w/ GMC at +/- 95% of their dealerships, there isn't much a financial gain or an operational one to cutting Buick and leaving GMC as a standalone. If there were a couple hundred standalone Buick dealerships with a complete lineup like it was pre bk and a little after, sure...give it the ax. Same can be said for the US FCA/Stellantis brands, no reason to get rid of any of 'em despite what everyone says they should. Keep model overlap to a minimum and you can have 10 brands on a showroom floor if you want to.

My take, long as the product is unique enough to stand apart from the GMCs on the other side of the showroom floor, leave it alone...the time for killing Buick was back in 2008-09...since its still around, may as well leave it there. Old people need cars too, hell with Cadillac going 100% EV, maybe Buick should be left as ICE to get the run-off business...but 86 the electric shifters...my 72 year old mom skipped on an Envision last week because of that.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Right, with Buick being lumped in w/ GMC at +/- 95% of their dealerships, there isn't much a financial gain or an operational one to cutting Buick and leaving GMC as a standalone. If there were a couple hundred standalone Buick dealerships with a complete lineup like it was pre bk and a little after, sure...give it the ax. Same can be said for the US FCA/Stellantis brands, no reason to get rid of any of 'em despite what everyone says they should. Keep model overlap to a minimum and you can have 10 brands on a showroom floor if you want to.

My take, long as the product is unique enough to stand apart from the GMCs on the other side of the showroom floor, leave it alone...the time for killing Buick was back in 2008-09...since its still around, may as well leave it there. Old people need cars too, hell with Cadillac going 100% EV, maybe Buick should be left as ICE to get the run-off business...but 86 the electric shifters...my 72 year old mom skipped on an Envision last week because of that.
That last part makes a very good point because it will still be some time if ever that we are fully EV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which is something I've always said about corporate America. "It's all about the Almighty dollar".
The buying public is complicit as well, with our Walmart mentatlity. Companies want/need to lower costs yet raise profits so instead of paying a living wage they pay shareholders and move operations overseas.....and then get a tax break for doing so. WTF. We don't want to pay what it would cost to have an American make something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The original topic of this thread - Here’s why GM’s electric vehicle push is a big risk.

But see this article with a discussion from the CEO of Chevron.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It seems that oil & gas prices are high and will continue to trend in the direction. Apparently investors are shying away from traditional fuels and there are fewer drilling projects.

Higher fuel prices will tend to make EV's more attractive from an energy cost perspective.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The original topic of this thread - Here’s why GM’s electric vehicle push is a big risk.

It seems that oil & gas prices are high and will continue to trend in the direction. Apparently investors are shying away from traditional fuels and there are fewer drilling projects.

Higher fuel prices will tend to make EV's more attractive from an energy cost perspective.
Understand that electricity is also going up as natural gas is at a 7 year high.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
20 Posts
Understand that electricity is also going up as natural gas is at a 7 year high.
Not for people who have solar panels on the roof,,btw
Tesla sells solar roofs that look awesome.
And in Canada we get power from hydroelectric dams and some nukes and wind generators,if US has shortage we can send it down at the speed of light.
However places like Texas should connect their grid to the rest o the nation so they down freeze like last winter !
On the subject of ev trucks
GM should get this guy on board pronto

·
Registered
350 Posts
Battery system technology is being developed at a feverish pace. Never before have we had pretty much every automaker looking into improving batteries. I think we will all be blown away at how fast and far the technology will progress in 10 years time. I have little doubt that ICE option will also remain for some time, but I get the feeling that it will die off like VCR's once DVR's took off. I think the biggest gains will be in lower charging times through improved DC charging. That combined with increased range, should take away the very few negatives of BEV

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts

Fuel prices went up with a change in administrations and policy. We WERE energy independent. Now we buy from Russia and Saudi and other questionable sources.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
My light bill went up $14 a month.....my fuel bill went down $120 a month (cuz it doesn't use any) which means I'm saving money and again, gas stations might not have power during blackouts either. I agree there should be more PHEV's, definitely. I think killing the Volt was stupid. They should have kept it, added the Voltec powertrain to the Equinox and the Colorado to start with, to supplement their BEV push for those who drive farther and/or want the gasoline-refill convenience.
What is your electricity rate, gas prices and how many mile do your drive a month, I have a hard time calculating your claim.

They are actually preparing to restart oil-fired power plants in Japan because of the cost of LNG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Battery system technology is being developed at a feverish pace. Never before have we had pretty much every automaker looking into improving batteries. I think we will all be blown away at how fast and far the technology will progress in 10 years time. I have little doubt that ICE option will also remain for some time, but I get the feeling that it will die off like VCR's once DVR's took off. I think the biggest gains will be in lower charging times through improved DC charging. That combined with increased range, should take away the very few negatives of BEV
There are ways to improve the old ICE eficiency and power at the same time using things like these rotary valves,

but I guess GM and others dont really care,probably bc
Oil corporations have control over them and want us to burn as much fuel as posible

101 - 120 of 149 Posts