GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 80 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
Where I live I know a couple of people that own Buick crossovers. They would never buy Chevys. That may not make much sense, but there you go. I doubt they want to pay the $$ for a Caddy. These customers would be lost to GM if they closed down Buick.
Without Buick, Cadillac can move down a level to the entry-level luxury market and cover most of what Buick did.
Cadillac would have more of a mandate to create cars in the "luxury and near luxury" space. They could have a true Lexus ES or UX or NX competitor.

But Buick exists, so Cadillac doesn't need to cover that part of the market.

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
We've been thru the 'We'll just shift those buyers over to Brand X' experiment, and the results have long been in.
Yeah.
I get it. There's a potential real danger there.
Buick only has 3 models -- all SUV's. What's the cost benefit here? Is Buick really that distinct in the US market?

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Natural disasters are a disaster for EV's, especially stone age BEV's.

Fuel Cell EV's will be the distant future and powered with fossil fuel.

In the meantime a Plug-In Hybrid is far superior to any other options since it has the range/fast refuel required to evacuate a disaster and provides 30+ miles of EV driving which is plenty for most drivers and future models should be able to deliver 50 miles. Gas driving provides a significant improvement in average MPG's and can drastically reduce fuel use/emissions using existing refueling infrastructure and will not create blackouts due to excessively high power demands.

BEV's will be the gas guzzling SUV/Trucks of the past and hated by everyone whose electric bill triples, quadruples or worse.

·
Banned
660 Posts

In the meantime a Plug-In Hybrid is far superior to any other options since it has the range/fast refuel required to evacuate a disaster and provides 30+ miles of EV driving which is plenty for most drivers and future models should be able to deliver 50 miles. Gas driving provides a significant improvement in average MPG's and can drastically reduce fuel use/emissions using existing refueling infrastructure and will not create blackouts due to excessively high power demands.

BEV's will be the gas guzzling SUV/Trucks of the past and hated by everyone whose electric bill triples, quadruples or worse.
Why do you think the automotive industry is moving to EV?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There isn't.
It would have made sense if Cadillac could have moved themselves up market more, but they've been unable to.
So there's really no use for Buick to exist in the US.
At some point in the recent past, I think there was a niche. But realistically these days? No.
I disagree. Buick solely exists to sell us foreign made vehicles under the guise of being American, excepting the Enclave of course.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
39 Posts
While Cadillac will get the Lyriq, I think Buick will get a similar vehicle, like the Buick Enspire.

Note that this is a concept vehicle, but I see similarities to the Lyriq.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That's OK, mercedes sells us domestic-made vehicles under the guise of being German.
Much smaller percentage of their lineup than Buick but yes..

GM has ruined Buck in North America. The only vehicle that was mildly interesting (Regal GS) is gone.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
Much smaller percentage of their lineup than Buick but yes..

GM has ruined Buck in North America. The only vehicle that was mildly interesting (Regal GS) is gone.
I liked the Regal GS and would've bought one in 2013 had the ATS not come out. But, how is discontinuing a vehicle almost no one bought ruining the brand? As much as I liked the Regal GS, performance isn't Buick's thing and hasn't been for decades. Even the awesome GNX was a poor fit for Buick way back when.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,047 Posts
I liked the Regal GS and would've bought one in 2013 had the ATS not come out. But, how is discontinuing a vehicle almost no one bought ruining the brand? As much as I liked the Regal GS, performance isn't Buick's thing and hasn't been for decades. Even the awesome GNX was a poor fit for Buick way back when.
Maybe just because it was there and made a statement even if very few actually bought it, so it being gone diminished the brand sort of. But I would differ because they've done similar things which came and went :whistle: and the brand still holds on to a semi old persons 🤔vehicle mostly.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
Maybe just because it was there and made a statement even if very few actually bought it, so it being gone diminished the brand sort of. But I would differ because they've done similar things which came and went :whistle: and the brand still holds on to a semi old persons 🤔vehicle mostly.
Yes, Buick isn't a "gotta have it brand"... I'm not sure what the right answer is for Buick.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, Buick isn't a "gotta have it brand"... I'm not sure what the right answer is for Buick.
As long as GM treats Buick as an after thought…so will the public. I’m afraid that it’s not if….but when, that buick will follow Oldsmobile and Pontiac fates. Buick is treading water in NA and land is not in sight in any direction.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
As long as GM treats Buick as an after thought…so will the public. I’m afraid that it’s not if….but when, that buick will follow Oldsmobile and Pontiac fates. Buick is treading water in NA and land is not in sight in any direction.
One thought with Buick, it may not be so dire. Buick USA requires little time or money from GM, similar to what GMC used to be. Could be that due to the low investment needs it is more profitable than we think.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,047 Posts
One thought with Buick, it may not be so dire. Buick USA requires little time or money from GM, similar to what GMC used to be. Could be that due to the low investment needs it is more profitable than we think.
Also with it being so popular as it is in China, and it carrying the weight so to speak with development etc., they can adapt things to fit America's needs sort of...much to the chagrin of a lot of people that have this fixation of it coming from there and the "I wont go there" mantra. Enough people don't give a rats backside about that(even with what they did to us with the Covid BS).

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
Also with it being so popular as it is in China, and it carrying the weight so to speak with development etc., they can adapt things to fit America's needs sort of...much to the chagrin of a lot of people that have this fixation of it coming from there and the "I wont go there" mantra. Enough people don't give a rats backside about that(even with what they did to us with the Covid BS).
The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and people snap up their products. The Germans would've destroyed us had we not stood up to them in the 1940's, and we snap up their products - I'd say China is no different.

·
Registered
11 Posts

My experience is a little different. I've owned two plug in electric hybrids and two BEVs over the last ten years. For every day drive nothing beats a BEV. City driving the range is actually 10-15% better than predicted because regenerative braking is charging the battery. I'll never go back to and ICE car.

Plug-in Hybrids are a nice transition to full electric. But don't kid yourself. Why do you think Toyota is bloody murder about BEVs for the last couple of years? They are so heavily invested in Hybrid technology and have nothing in the BEV market. Then just this week they changed and are investing 13 billion in batteries. Mercedes-Benz isn't going make any next generation ICE auto engines. All the engineers were transferred to other departments. For Audi its the same. ICE and Hybrid technology has no investor value at this point. There is no upside to ICE or hybrid technology.

Let's say you went to a venture capitalist twenty years ago with a new ICE engine that put out 250 HP, with 100 MPG and cost 50% less to manufacture and maintain; you'd be a billionaire. Today you couldn't find anybody to fund it.

Oh, during a natural disaster there is no gasoline. All gas station require electricity to run the pumps.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Oh, during a natural disaster there is no gasoline. All gas station require electricity to run the pumps.
Many gas stations have (gasps) gas generators that can easily supply the pumps with power to pump gasoline during any power issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many gas stations have (gasps) gas generators that can easily supply the pumps with power to pump gasoline during any power issues.
Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right. Some state actually require back up generators.

To paraphrase I think an old Dos Equis beer commercial: The most interesting man in world says: " I don't always go to a gas station, but when I do. I go to fill up my tires"

61 - 80 of 149 Posts