GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
My first car was a 1979 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. I took out the ailing 260 cid V8 and replace it with a .030 over 1977 400 cid (406 cid) with 280 Comp Cam and Holly 750 double pumper over an Edelbrock Performance intake. With a Hooker Headers and 2.5" dual exhaust, the car was pretty damn fast once the BFG's mounted to 15" Craiger Classic wheels would stop spinning.

The poor car was a victim of MI road salt and the following year, I pulled to motor and 350 Turbo transmission with shift-kit and B&M 2500 stall converter and installed into my recently restored 1968 Camaro. It was a tired out, base model 327 V8 from Georgia with all new floorboards and fenders. I used the best quality reproductive parts I could afford while working at Meijer's my last two years of high school. My buddy and I restored that Camaro in two semesters of vocational auto body. I drove it through my first two years of college ('94 - '96) before deciding to sell it to purchase a 1989 Honda Prelude SI. I needed something I could drive back and forth year round to GVSU while living at home with mom and dad in Muskegon, Michigan. Had a girlfriend at home at the time and the rest was history....

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I had a 1979 light yellow Supreme Calais with the 260 V8, Olds rally wheels and RWL tires and it was a wonderful car. Very tight, good handling and steering, comfortable seats and the engine was very smooth and quiet and got well over 20 with a mix of highway driving. It wasn't very quick but would easily get up to speed and cruised comfortably at 75 MPH all day long! It was also very reliable with the only failure item the 200 Metric transmission. After that got rebuilt I put in a supplemental trans cooler and never had an issue since. I sold the car back to my friend two yeas ago due to a lack of space but already am really missing that car. It had so much flair and style!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts