GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Re: Hemmings Find of the Day – 1975 Buick LeSabre convertible

As much as I love B body convertibles, and as good of shape this one is in, this is a lame example. It's a '75 so its got cats, only a 350, no power locks or windows, and no A/C.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Love the '75 GM Full-Sized Convertibles (LeSabre, GrandVille, 88 Royale and, of course, Eldorado) but this one is a rather "weak" example (lacking in options, as F14Crazy mentioned.) It does appear to have been quite well-preserved or refurbished. I even like the color combination--classic White with Black Top and Red Vinyl interior, because when I was growing up, a family friend had a 1970 DeVille Convertible in this same combination that she kept (in excellent original condition) and drove through many relocations--Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Florida and back to Pennsylvania) and at 112,000 miles in 1988 she sold it for $4,000 and got a new loaded Maxima Sedan (rather disappointing!) My neighbor had gotten new a 1975 Olds 88 Royale Convertible with every option available, with "body colored sport mirrors" in Inca Silver with Black Top and Red Vinyl Interior and it looked quite classy. However, what I especially liked about the LeSabre Convertible was the availability of Buick "rally wheels" and available chrome lamp monitors! It is too bad GM did not keep alive at least one full-sized Convertible model based on a production passenger car. Those full-sized GM convertibles were a vehicle capable of "wearing many hats," whether sporty, practical or a bit luxurious!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts

It's already 40 years ago, then GM stopped making full-size convertibles.
Luckily, still see a few from time to time.

Personally, I'd love to get a 1975 Caprice Classic convertible....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Someday slowly turns to never" __ Tanya Tucker __ 'Soon'

·
Registered
515 Posts

As much as I love B body convertibles, and as good of shape this one is in, this is a lame example. It's a '75 so its got cats, only a 350, no power locks or windows, and no A/C.
In my experience, the fewer power options on an old car, the fewer things to break. It's not going to be used as a daily driver so those options won't be missed..IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

In my experience, the fewer power options on an old car, the fewer things to break. It's not going to be used as a daily driver so those options won't be missed..IMHO, of course.
I had to have my top motor rebuilt but all the window motors and door lock actuators still work. The passenger window switch is a little flaky but I think I could fix it with some contact cleaner. I haven't messed with the A/C but will eventually when I get to restoring it.

I actually do intend for it to be a semi-daily driver someday...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts