GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread....threadid=234585

Many of you are aware why the Camaro disappeared and that there is a car in the works to replace it. There is also doubt that said car will be named Camaro because of the politics behind the CAW, Canadian Govt., and St. Therese plant's exclusive right to produce the Camaro and Firebird.

So you want to save the Camaro name???

Want to help the Camaro name continue, but don't exactly have it tatooed across your back, and not ready to sprout a Camaro label haircut?? Well here's your chance to let your opinion be known.

Go to http://www.gm.com/gmcomjsp/contactus/email.html and check off the "I am a current owner and have a question, concern or comment" box (it's the very 1st one). Hit "submit" at the bottom of the page, and fill out the information along with your message (limit's about 400 words, so no term papers please).

Request to have your message forwarded to Product Chairman Bob Lutz. Briefly tell what the Camaro name means to you.

DON'T USE PROFANITY, OR THREATS!!!
The idea is to convince, not terrorize.

If you are going to say that you will never buy another GM product (or will refuse to buy a V8 2+2 that isn't called Camaro), be certain to point out that Ford displays respect for historic names like Thunderbird and Mustang, and you would be very dissappointed if GM didn't do the same for Camaro.

This isn't going to work unless there's critical mass behind this, so don't just say you support the idea, just do it!!!

DO NOT send it to anyone's private or GM e-mail address. Not only is it rude & counterproductive (meaning it could backfire something fierce) but if there is a sudden flood of email to GM's consumer relations site (instead of someone's e-mail), not only will it create a buzz throughout, but also word will get up through the chain, and alot will end up read by higher ups.

This is the tactic used to save the Mustang back in the 80s.

Remember, you are advocating the Camaro NAME, so don't sweat them over the car.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
whoever wrote the original post wrote "don't sweat them over the car"!?! shouldn't THAT be the important part? i'd think a camaro fan would rather have a camaro-like car (RWD, lotsa power, camaro styling) named the chevrolet anything over a 2-door cavalier-clone named camaro. am i wrong?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know where you're getting the idea that the next Camaro would be a "Cavalier Clone". Maybe you're reffering to the styling of the GTO?

Here are some facts.....

-A cheverlet coupe is being developed.

-It will be realeased around 2007.

-It will be on a new RWD chassis (Zeta Arcitechture)

-It will not be a "redone" Aussie car.

-This is mentioned in several press releases.

Now, the car will exist that is designed to be the next Camaro, but due to complications with the name, may not be called Camaro. Thus the point....do not worry about the car, it's the name that may be the biggest issue now.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by jknudson98@Mar 9 2004, 04:27 PM
I don't know where you're getting the idea that the next Camaro would be a "Cavalier Clone".  Maybe you're reffering to the styling of the GTO?

Here are some facts.....

-A cheverlet coupe is being developed.

-It will be realeased around 2007.

-It will be on a new RWD chassis (Zeta Arcitechture)

-It will not be a "redone" Aussie car.

-This is mentioned in several press releases.

Now, the car will exist that is designed to be the next Camaro, but due to complications with the name, may not be called Camaro.  Thus the point....do not worry about the car, it's the name that may be the biggest issue now.
fair enough. i thought the guys point was "we want the camaro name" not "we want a camaro"... as his first line says "so you want to save the camaro name???".

and i just said cavalier-clone to make a point. but if a 'real' camaro is in the works, then it makes sense the name is attached. good luck with the campaign... though if it's part of a CAW/UAW contract, it could be tricky!

i figure if the car is built with another name, someone could make a fortune selling camaro badges and script to real camaro fans! it'd be the first GOOD case for a rebadge!

(BTW, i think the GTO looks fine. :))

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Camaro name is to trailer parks as white is to rice. A new car deserves a new name appropriate for the times. Let a sleeping dog sleep on it's cement blocks next to the washer on the front lawn.
:zippy:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@Mar 9 2004, 04:41 PM
The Camaro name is to trailer parks as white is to rice. A new car deserves a new name appropriate for the times. Let a sleeping dog sleep on it's cement blocks next to the washer on the front lawn.
I don't know what rock you have been hiding under for the past several decades, but if there was any gm made car that would be found in a trailer park it would be more likely to be a chevette or corsica. If by any chance that there was a camaro in a trailer park, it would almost indefinatly have a v6 rather than the more nostalgic v8 powered rendition that anybody with a sense of muscle car heritage would like to see on the road again. For those of you who doubt that the youger generations of drivers wont be able to conect with the muscle car heritage, remember the movie "field of dreams,""...if you build it, they will come." I may be too young to have personaly witnessed the muscle car era, but that doesnt stop me from wanting to own a current edition of the classic camaro. Only GM holds the power to fufill my dreams. To the suits at GM: if you build it, I will come, and many will follow.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@Mar 9 2004, 04:41 PM
get back in your honda and buzz away. I have yet to see a red neck in a camaro. I know I dont live in a trailer park. Maybe you just like to stur up chit here.

·
Registered
481 Posts
They can call it "Paperweight" for all I care. Just as long as it's RWD or AWD, V-8, 2 doors, & 4 seats.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 9 2004, 07:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 9 2004, 07:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sheithappens@Mar 9 2004, 04:41 PM
get back in your honda and buzz away. I have yet to see a red neck in a camaro. I know I dont live in a trailer park. Maybe you just like to stur up chit here. [/b][/quote]
Exhibit A:

http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 9 2004, 07:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 9 2004, 07:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-sheithappens@Mar 9 2004, 04:41 PM
get back in your honda and buzz away. I have yet to see a red neck in a camaro. I know I dont live in a trailer park. Maybe you just like to stur up chit here.[/b][/quote]
Exhibit B: http://www.sjunderbelly.com/unbelly/Sanjos...ey/trailer.html

Exhibit C: http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/other.html

Exhibit D: http://members.aol.com/geekox3/moran1.htm

Exhibit E: http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/www/public/sc/o...03/665-01-1.htm

On 20 December 1999, around 11:00 a.m., Dorothy Hare, Kim's mother, went to see Kim at her trailer. Kim was wearing jeans, a blue shirt, boots, and a wristwatch. Kim was moving out of her trailer and packing her belongings in her teal green Camaro. Around 6:00 or 6:30 p.m., Chad Sisk, Kim's husband, saw Kim when she came to see their six-year-old daughter, Heather. Between 8:00 and 8:30 p.m., James Lucas saw Kim, and she told him that she was getting ready to take a neighbor to the mountains for $100.00. Lucas and his daughter saw Kim leave the trailer park that night around 9:15 or 9:30 p.m. Kim was driving her teal green Camaro and defendant was in the car. Kim's purse, which contained jewelry, was in the car. Kim usually carried money in her purse.

I can go on and on and on, but you being blind and oblivious to the real world wouldn't know a camaro in a trailerpark if it was rusting away in front of you.

Camaro at the trailerpark, "We'll be there!"

A new car needs a new name. Old GM wasn't known for producing quality cars and it's an image they are trying to shed. Naming a new car an old name will do nothing but have it associated with terrible quality. You'll figure this out when you wake up.
:blink:

GM in their own words is on a road to redemtion.
http://www.gm.com/vc/story/home_flash.htm

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Oh!!, the truth hurts!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
:rolleyes: whatever man. You found 5-6 examples out of the millions and millions of camaros on the road. Still doesnt prove to me anything other then you can use the google. I know I dont have a mullet, I dont live in a trailer, I dont live in the south.
I bet you I can find just as many guidos driving camaros. Try getting out from behind that computer and actualy look at real Camaro owners and stop stereotyping.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Most Camaros you see back in my hometown (pop. 8000 set in rural county in SE missouri) are beater 3rd-gens driven by people who probably live in trailer parks. Sad, but true. V6 4th gens are starting to get that way too, esp. the 93-97 models. The 1st and 2nd gens are either rusting in yards or restored to perfect condition...

Here where I go to college (Columbia, MO, pop: 25,000+ (and that's just the college students)), most F-bodys 4th-gens, and are driven by college kids and in good shape.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you look.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Taking a poll of a bunch of us mechanical engineers, the popular vote goes to the Camaro then the Mustang. The opinion is based on an economical car that gives good performance on the road. Most see these 2 cars as being easy to work on or modify if one chooses. And we are definitely talking about guys who own their homes outright, have 6 figure salaries and BS's and some MS's in engineering.
So, how did the Camaro get the reputation of being a trashy car? Up here in the midwest, if you are lucky enough to have a 60's Camaro, it has usually been restored and treated like a vette (parked in the garage in the winter). I guess the college kids don't get Camaros from the folks so they don't relate to them versus a reliable, small car like the Civic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have looked at the " evidence " presented in defense of the camaro being a " trailer park car" and have come to a few conclusions.
1) people in the south do some pretty strange things.
2) in some of the pictures cars are being labled camaros, when they look more like late 60's or early 70's mustangs or cougars.
3) there are alot of other cars just as prevelant in those web pages, which would mean that they also could be called trailer park cars, as could ANY car.
4) a few people's opinions do not represent the opinion of everyone in the country.
5) one man's trash is another's treasure.
6) if you dont like it, dont buy it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 10 2004, 06:08 PM
Taking a poll of a bunch of us mechanical engineers, the popular vote goes to the Camaro then the Mustang. The opinion is based on an economical car that gives good performance on the road. Most see these 2 cars as being easy to work on or modify if one chooses. And we are definitely talking about guys who own their homes outright, have 6 figure salaries and BS's and some MS's in engineering.
So, how did the Camaro get the reputation of being a trashy car? Up here in the midwest, if you are lucky enough to have a 60's Camaro, it has usually been restored and treated like a vette (parked in the garage in the winter). I guess the college kids don't get Camaros from the folks so they don't relate to them versus a reliable, small car like the Civic.
ahahah 69 your a ME? Somehow, I find that funny.
<--aspiring ME
most engineering students I know could give a crap about cars... but thats was up in Mass. and that whole state should burn.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Strange to have ME's that don't like cars. Like being a doctor and not used to the sight of blood. Boy, to hold a gear in your hands and not know the tooth form (modified addendum?) or horsepower capacity-weird.
Maybe it is a generation thing. People are really not in tune with their cars. Wash them at a car wash, oil changes at a lube joint; just drive them and forget about what makes them tick.
I would say that the ME's in our company differ from the Software guys who drive nothing but Audis and Hondas. I guess they're in tune more with the electronic gizmos than the gears. They complain that we leave marks on the carpet when we drag our knuckles.
So, what do aspiring engineers give a crap about? Video games? Cellular phones?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Mar 10 2004, 06:38 PM

ahahah 69 your a ME? Somehow, I find that funny.
<--aspiring ME
most engineering students I know could give a crap about cars... but thats was up in Mass. and that whole state should burn.
[/quote]
Like you, bigal, I too am in school to become a me. Mabey it is a location thing, cause most of the people in my classes love anything with a motor. there are times where we talk for hours just about cars. I may not be as in tune with my truck as i would like to be, but its hard to find time to do so when you work 40 hours a week and go to school full time. I didnt think that I was too far away from the younger generation at the age of 24. Seems to me that kids these days dont care much about anything, except for living in the moment.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
It's about the price of GAS. If it gets up to 3 bucks a gallon and stays there kiss your Camaro and a lot of other V8's goodbye.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts