GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of just buying new tires for my 1995 Trans Am, I am looking for a whole new wheel and tire set. The only problem is I don't know much about wheels or tires. It currently has the stock 16" wheels with Goodyear GS-C P245/50 ZR16 tires. I am looking for something in the 18 or 19 inch range with a sporty look, not bling.

I found a set of C6 Vette wheels that are 18 x 10.5 rear and 17 x 9.5 front. I'm wondering if these are too wide iin front or what size any of you experts out there would recommend for this car.

I need new tires ASAP so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a set of 17" C5 Z06 rims on mine, they fit fine with no rubbing or problems. The tires on them are 275/40/17s which are wider than stock so I can get at least some traction off the line. Some people have installed 18s but I don't know if they had to modify anything of if there were any fit/rubbing issues. A couple of good places to check and ask around are LS1.com and ws6zxr.com, there are many posts on this subject there. Also from what I've heard 19s can negatively effect handling but you'd be better off asking someone who's actually running 19s what they feel.

For tires from my experience Kumhos are crap, they didn't hold traction, did poor in the wet, and tracked groves so bad they'd almost pull me out of my lane. I'm also rather neutral about my current Falkens. I'm personally going with Pirelli P-Zeros when I get the money to replace them.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
ls1tech.com

19s will be heavier and replacement tires will cost more. I'd go with 17s or 18s at the biggest. You can find tire/wheel combos on ebay. If you aren't looking to spend a ton of money, I'd go with some type of GM wheel...C5 Z06, ZR1, Firehawk or WS6 wheels.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I like these WS6 wheels:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts