GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

One of the best drag videos they've done in a while...all 3 of these beasts are freaking insane.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
That’s a little surprising when you consider the lighter weight and better aero of the Urus. All crazy fast.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a little surprising when you consider the lighter weight and better aero of the Urus. All crazy fast.
I was expecting the dig races to go exactly like the roll races. Apparently the extra length and weight of Durango make a world of difference for launching with/without LC. I personally think that had more to do with its launch than its 500rpm lower peak torque output from the Trackhawk.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It's not, it's a drag race. And a short one at that. You have more power with an instant power adder (supercharger) vs less power and a delayed power adder (turbo charger). Less weight and aero only come into play with most other things being equal. Or, a race with corners and elevation changes.

I was expecting the dig races to go exactly like the roll races. Apparently the extra length and weight of Durango make a world of difference for launching with/without LC. I personally think that had more to do with its launch than its 500rpm lower peak torque output from the Trackhawk.
Longer is always better in a drag race. ChryCo has gotten pretty good at substituting heft for aerodynamic downforce.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
It's not, it's a drag race. And a short one at that. You have more power with an instant power adder (supercharger) vs less power and a delayed power adder (turbo charger). Less weight and aero only come into play with most other things being equal. Or, a race with corners and elevation changes.
Weight and Aero always come into play in a drag race. Aero is less important until the speeds get higher of course.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weight and Aero always come into play in a drag race. Aero is less important until the speeds get higher of course.
I'm thinking that in an AWD drag race weight keeps the vehicle down to the road preventing unwanted AWD wheel spin...yes in high HP AWD cars that is a thing. You're right about aero playing a part, but from my experience it really rears its head in the 1/2 mile, roll racing, or full mile runs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts