1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 Sep 2022, 17:09 UTC ·
by Cristian Agatie
author pic

Solid state batteries are a promising technology, although technical problems must be solved before they can be manufactured at an industrial scale. A new type of solid-state battery pioneered by startup Adden Energy points to a leap in performance and reliability.
Harvard engineers invent a solid-state battery that never dies 6 photos
Filling the battery test equipment at the labFully equipped coin cell holder at labSulfur Crystal under a microscope lightGotion High-Tech Cell Production LineGotion High-Tech Cell Production Line

The startup uses an exclusive technology license from Harvard’s Office of Technology Development to develop solid-state battery systems for use in future electric vehicles. Based on lithium-metal technology, the battery can achieve charge rates as fast as three minutes with over 10,000 cycles in a lifetime. The coin-cell prototypes developed by Adden Energy for lab testing don’t look like much now. Still, Adden wants to scale the battery up to a palm-sized pouch cell and further to a full-scale EV battery.

“We set out to commercialize this technology because we do see our technology as unique compared to other solid-state batteries,” said Xin Li, Associate Professor of Materials Science at Harvard and scientific advisor to Adden Energy. “We have achieved in the lab 5,000 to 10,000 charge cycles in a battery’s lifetime, compared with 2,000 to 3,000 charging cycles for even the best in class now, and we don’t see any fundamental limit to scaling up our battery technology. That could be a game changer.”

The battery uses a new technology that prevents dendrite formation in the lithium-metal anodes. The innovative solid-state electrolyte is essential to this technology, allowing it to achieve an ultrahigh current density with no lithium dendrite penetration. The electrolyte features a “multilayer design, which has the structure of a less-stable electrolyte sandwiched between more-stable solid electrolytes.” The dendrite growth happens inside the less stable electrolyte layer, but any cracks formed are quickly filled by “dynamically generated decompositions that are also well constrained.”

According to a study published in Nature more than a year ago, the cycling performance of the lithium metal anode paired with a LiNi0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2 cathode is very stable. The capacity retention after 20,000 cycles is above 82% at a 20C rate. The specific power is also impressive, at 110.6 kW/kg, with an energy density up to 631.1 Wh/kg. The results are well above other Li-Ion battery projects, and Adden Energy is confident it can have commercial samples in the next three-to-five years.

Google News icon
Follow autoevolution on Google News

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
Mass produce it at competitive pricing at or near stated specs then its a game changer.

Universities and startups announce game changing batteries at the rate of about 1 per 3 months.
I agree but it will happen eventually with all the money being poured into development. I think we can probably take a break on the game changer moniker until most of the "ifs" are taken care of.

It will be a long time before something like this is full scale and usable at the performance they are talking about.

·
Premium Member
12,009 Posts
This is where the West is far more gifted at inventing new things where the Chinese and Koreans are more adept in refining/improving existing technology. Scientists are already developing non-lithium based graphene batteries that promise superior charging performance that leaves lithium behind in the past…

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 2014 Cadillac Saks 5th Ave ELR, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
12,033 Posts
I'll take two!!

• Haha
Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
45,273 Posts
This is where the West is far more gifted at inventing new things where the Chinese and Koreans are more adept in refining/improving existing technology. Scientists are already developing non-lithium based graphene batteries that promise superior charging performance that leaves lithium behind in the past…

You're generalizing.
It's not just the Chinese or Koreans. It's also very much the Japanese.
But that's not to say they don't invent either. That also doesn't mean that America or the West in general can't come up with excellent products.

·
Premium Member
12,009 Posts
You're generalizing.
It's not just the Chinese or Koreans. It's also very much the Japanese.
But that's not to say they don't invent either. That also doesn't mean that America or the West in general can't come up with excellent products.
Not picking at you…
The Japanese are lost, look at Mazda, clueless short range BEV no one wants, look at Honda’s fall from grace, look at Toyota, circling around the drain, clueless for years with fuel cells only to realise they need BEVs and then turn to China‘s BYD for a vehicle because they slept their way into the 2020s. Yes, they have a solid state battery but I suspect they’re just there with it (needs more development).

I think by the time Asians perfect semi solid state lithium tech, America and Europe will be onto something much better…

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
... Adden wants to scale the battery up to a palm-sized pouch cell and further to a full-scale EV battery. ...
I, as much as anyone, want to see solid-state batteries become viable for use in EVs, but I'm going to remain calm until Adden has scaled their battery up to a point where actual EV testing can be done.

"Calm" or not, this is an exciting time in EV development.

·
Super Moderator
21,761 Posts
I, as much as anyone, want to see solid-state batteries become viable for use in EVs, but I'm going to remain calm until Adden has scaled their battery up to a point where actual EV testing can be done.

I've been reading about a lot of battery breakthroughs, hopefully some will be viable for the market. I think the next decade will see massive improvements; Today's massive battery packs will quickly shrink.

But, as you said - to be taken with a grain of salt. Weren't we all supposed to be driving around in 2 stroke engines by now? Turbines?

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been reading about "breakthrough" battery technology for 40 years at least. For whatever reason, none of these ever seem to show up commercially.
Yeah, well, just you wait! Yeah! Remember you sore it here frist. :)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Indeed. It's also one of the reasons I'm not ready to buy even though I like them. Like the iPhone, once it gets to version 7 and everything matures, I'm in.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've been reading about "breakthrough" battery technology for 40 years at least. For whatever reason, none of these ever seem to show up commercially.
This is not true. There have been many breakthroughs in battery technology that have found their way into commercial products. The battery in your phone is based on many of these breakthroughs.

This is not the problem with the headline of this thread. The headline itself is an example of a lot of media reports on technology issues. This new battery may be ever so wonderful. However, it cannot change the game until it gets into the game. There, it must prove itself.

Another major issue is that there are scientists and engineers around the World who are researching new and novel battery technology. Any one or more of these researchers may discover a competing battery technology that consigns the Harvard technology to the status of last week's newspaper before it ever gains a toehold.

However, the fiercest enemy of new technology is "good enough incumbent technology." Incumbent technology is continuously improved incrementally. New technology cannot replace old technology unless it is much better than the old technology. However, old technology can hang on even if it is only slightly better than the last version of the old technology.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
However, the fiercest enemy of new technology is "good enough incumbent technology." Incumbent technology is continuously improved incrementally. New technology cannot replace old technology unless it is much better than the old technology. However, old technology can hang on even if it is only slightly better than the last version of the old technology.
Any chance you could assist Kamala with her word salads? You are far more eloquent at it and she could really use your assistance. Do it for the good of society.:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
872 Posts
The title and the article itself contradict each other. The batteries can do 2-3X more charge cycles then current batteries before they "die". Happy to see advancements coming but this isn't the holy grail.

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The title and the article itself contradict each other. The batteries can do 2-3X more charge cycles then current batteries before they "die". Happy to see advancements coming but this isn't the holy grail.
Talk to the writer. I just copied and pasted. But you have a point, only diamonds are forever.

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry didn’t mean that to sound like a stab at you. It’s just that it’s another sensationalized headline that’s not true.
No worries, I didn't take it that way. I just said what I did. You dug deeper into the text than I did. I assume people who write headlines reflect the guts of the article. That's kinda Journalism 101.
My bad for assuming.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Sorry didn’t mean that to sound like a stab at you. It’s just that it’s another sensationalized headline that’s not true.
It's the nature of what passes for journalism these days. And the inventors/developers/researchers are excited about it, sure. But .... no, it is not a game changer. Maybe it will be, but they've got a LOT of work yet to prove it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts