GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Infiniti Releases More Photos of Stretched Q50L for China.
Carscoops
By: Dan Mihalascu
November 19, 2014

Infiniti has finally released more photos of the Q50L sedan, the China-exclusive model that will officially debut at the Guangzhou Auto Show this week.

The long-wheelbase version of the Q50 has a stretched overall length of 4,852mm (191in) and stretched wheelbase of 2,898mm (114.1in), making it 48 mm (1.9in) longer than the standard Q50. As you can see in the photos, there’s significantly more legroom at the rear compared to the regular model.

The car is only offered with the 211hp 2.0 liter turbocharged petrol engine which sends power to the rear wheels via a seven-speed automatic transmission. Available exclusively in mainland China, the Infiniti Q50L is the brand’s first locally built model. Production began earlier this month at the Xiangyang Plant in Hubei Province. The plant will also start building the QX50L crossover in coming months.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Yeah, that's odd. Compact streches don't make that much sense. If you really want to be driven around and sit in the back, wouldn't you have the $$ to just buy a bigger car?

But it does point to the fact that, despite efforts of 'going global' by nearly every make, local markets are quirky and refuse to adhere to 'One Brand' philosophies of car bigwigs.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's mostly because of prestige. Since a lot of people are chauffeured in China, a lower ranking employee wouldn't want to arrive in a better car than his boss would. For example, the CEO would arrive in a S550, the CFO would arrive in a E550-L, the accountant in a C300-L, etc. It's to not "one-up" your boss, basically.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Why all the stretched compacts for China? Why don't the Chinese just buy the bigger model to begin with?
You guys look at it differently to me. All the teenag children of my friends are finding it hard to be comfortable in the back of sedans and SUVS as they are a size larger than my generation (I am 175cm tall and some of these kids are 205cm). At least the Chinese are making them what they should have been in the first place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts