GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new issue of Road & Track they test the GTO agianst the Cobra...

And the GTO won :D

They liked the design, power, and handling...

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by thehemi@Jun 7 2004, 04:37 PM
They like it because it's more import-ish than the Cobra. :)
Not only that, but the Cobra is old-ish..

They said that the GTO is more of an adult's car...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
But the unbiased mustang magazine had the mustang winning.

hahaha.

I still don't know why these two cars are being compared but it's good to here the GTO is on top.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
ahahahaha thats awesome.
Of course the cobra is going to out accelerate the GTO, but its the total package that makes the GTO a winner. I need to find a link from RT's website.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jun 7 2004, 08:05 PM
ahahahaha thats awesome.
Of course the cobra is going to out accelerate the GTO, but its the total package that makes the GTO a winner. I need to find a link from RT's website.
Its not there yet, the magzine just came to news stands!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
A second here, a second there. No big deal.
The important matter is sales. GTO, if you love it or loathe it, must come up with much more significant numbers than are now being posted.
Maybe I'm not with it but I prefer the Mustang's body to the GTO. When the 2005 is introduced, I'll make my decision. But we know this doesn't count-only sales counts as it should.
Will the positive mag articles pull more people to it? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Jun 7 2004, 10:30 PM
The important matter is sales.
My signature says it all......
Good to see the GTO is getting good reviews, I still have yet to drive it- I'll be getting one for a weekend in July :p

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Droid800@Jun 7 2004, 11:15 PM
yes, but what is GM going to do when the new mustang comes out and whips the
GTO into submission
From what I have heard the 2006 GTO will be based on the Zeta platform and will be ALL-NEW. Most likely it will be bilt in America too :D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Droid800@Jun 8 2004, 05:15 AM
GTO into submission
I don't think the LS2 is going to let the Mustang whip it into submission. We'll have to see where it stands on ride and handling. I'm sure the Mustang's interior will be better than the old one, but will it surpass the universally-praised GTO? I doubt it.

The Mustang will have it's exterior styling going for it, even with the tweaks coming for the GTO, but I don't see anything that will whip the GTO into submission.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The Mustang wong whip too much into anything when it comes out for 05. Its power plant is some 7 years behind GM, as is its suspension, and lets not talk about how old the design is.
No, the new mustang will lag greatly against the much more powerful, higher quality GTO. There will be a big price differernce between the 2, probably some 5k.
The Cobra is still some year or so away. And if all this talk about a 500hp engine is true, expect for Cobra prices to hit north of 40k. Whatever mid level model Ford will make, i.e. Bullit, Mach 1, will proabably be more along the lines of the GTO at low to mid 30's.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jun 8 2004, 10:39 AM
The Mustang wong whip too much into anything when it comes out for 05. Its power plant is some 7 years behind GM, as is its suspension, and lets not talk about how old the design is.
No, the new mustang will lag greatly against the much more powerful, higher quality GTO. There will be a big price differernce between the 2, probably some 5k.
The Cobra is still some year or so away. And if all this talk about a 500hp engine is true, expect for Cobra prices to hit north of 40k. Whatever mid level model Ford will make, i.e. Bullit, Mach 1, will proabably be more along the lines of the GTO at low to mid 30's.
Agreed 100%! Dollar for dollar you can't beat a Pontiac :p

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ+Jun 8 2004, 01:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MelvinJ @ Jun 8 2004, 01:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Droid800@Jun 8 2004, 05:15 AM
GTO into submission
I don't think the LS2 is going to let the Mustang whip it into submission. We'll have to see where it stands on ride and handling. I'm sure the Mustang's interior will be better than the old one, but will it surpass the universally-praised GTO? I doubt it.

The Mustang will have it's exterior styling going for it, even with the tweaks coming for the GTO, but I don't see anything that will whip the GTO into submission. [/b][/quote]
Amen the Stang GT is going put out 300HP and have a live rear axel it ((WONT)) outdo the GTO! Unlike some here I kind of like the next Stanger and dont take enything away from it by my remarks. But I still prefer the GTO myself and I dont think they really do compete enyway. GM killed the Stangers competer's at Chevy and Pontiac at lest for now leaveing that market to Ford. The GTO is (NOT) a pony car its a MUSCLE CAR! ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I took a quick glance at the article so I may be off in some areas of the comparison. I believe the GTO got the high marks in subjective areas, ie ride quality, interior fit and finish, ergonomics etc. which were all good. However, these are muscle cars (OK the Mustang is a pony car but it does have some muscle)and in the performance areas the GTO got its butt kicked. The Mustang was better in the 1/4 mile, 13.4 to 13.9 (or maybe it was 13.8..either time I find to be very disappointing for the GTO), it was better through the slalom and in braking... The Mustang even had a bigger trunk! The GTO is nice and the '04 Mustang is OK. I guess the real question will be what are you looking for in the car. If performance is your first concern and comfort is second then the Mustang wins by a fairly good margin. If it is the other way around then the GTO gets the nod...While R&T gave the win to the GTO (and a win is a win) I sure wish It had beat the Mustang in some of the performance areas.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by lakota@Jun 9 2004, 01:23 PM
I took a quick glance at the article so I may be off in some areas of the comparison. I believe the GTO got the high marks in subjective areas, ie ride quality, interior fit and finish, ergonomics etc. which were all good. However, these are muscle cars (OK the Mustang is a pony car but it does have some muscle)and in the performance areas the GTO got its butt kicked. The Mustang was better in the 1/4 mile, 13.4 to 13.9 (or maybe it was 13.8..either time I find to be very disappointing for the GTO), it was better through the slalom and in braking... The Mustang even had a bigger trunk! The GTO is nice and the '04 Mustang is OK. I guess the real question will be what are you looking for in the car. If performance is your first concern and comfort is second then the Mustang wins by a fairly good margin. If it is the other way around then the GTO gets the nod...While R&T gave the win to the GTO (and a win is a win) I sure wish It had beat the Mustang in some of the performance areas.
Yeah, the GTO was a big behind the Cobra in performance, but with 40 hp disadvantage...which in reality is more like 60-70 hp disadvantage, the GTO did pretty good against the Cobra and about as good as the last generation Fbodies did. Im sure that with a good driver with an M6 could pull off some low 13's.
The "subjective" test was a landslide by anyone who isnt blind and has zero sence of touch. The Mustangs interior is old Ford parts bin quality from HVAC to steering wheels. The seats are marginal, and everything else lacks. Now all this from a near 36k vehicle? The shifter is in another zip code from where the driver sits. And a hard shift could cause you hitting your knuckles on the center stack.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Droid800@Jun 8 2004, 05:15 AM
GTO into submission
i hate to say this but i would rather have the new mustang over the gto for the plain and simple fact that gm killed the firebirds and camaros.
i used to be proud of gm for making nice affordable sport cars,but i have lost faith in them and i am waiting to see if they are going to wisen up and bring back the cars that should not have ever been killed!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts