GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DAILY IN DEPTH

GTO is Early Hit, Convertible Under Study

Power-packed as it is, Pontiac's new GTO 2+2 coupe is beginning to resonate in the performance set as a "gotta-have" set of wheels - so says GTO product development manager David Poniatowski, who drove a GTO on a 51-hour cross-country run that "showed us this is a terrific performer that is also comfortable on the highway." In an interview, Poniatowski disclosed that a U.S. convertible edition is being considered for the Australian-built GTO, though he acknowledges "the Aussies are not open-car fans because of the hot sunny weather down under."  But a ragtop would keep the GTO competitive with the Ford Mustang and new Chrysler Crossfire convertibles, no doubt.
http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?arti...0&sid=173&n=156

·
Registered
94 Posts
is it worth adding this to the line up if they are going to change the platform in 2007? and especially with the low volume sales that it has. i see this as a fill in for the zeta based car anyway..so i dont really see the practicallity of it <_<

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If the ragtop was able to add to the volume, I don't think anyone would complain. I wonder if a convertible model could escape the current volume limitation somehow?

·
Registered
114 Posts
sounds good to me but its a great idea cuz the old Goats didnt come out with one for at least a yr after they were built anyway so adding a convertible would be a great idea and it would go great with the G6 conv and Solstice..thats like Chryslers two converts..but i like the idea of a GTO convert

·
Registered
815 Posts
This will make an already heavy car even heavier.....

:(

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Adding volume will be a hit except with the UAW.
If you are unhappy with the weight of a convertible then don't buy one.
Has anyone photoshopped what a convertible GTO would look like.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
"GTO product development manager David Poniatowski "
:lol:

there used to be a king of my country having this surname,it's very prestigous to wear it here... :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the vert would be too expensive, way too heavy (probably 4000+ lbs),
and unless they really upped the HP it would really be a dog in the performance arena.

·
Registered
750 Posts
AM I am yet to see a convertible system that weighs in at an extra 400+ LBS, even hardtop convertible system's arn't THAT heavy. Don't forget that the cloth top is lighter than the regular body.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
No Saabs were harmed in the making of that photoshop (or used either).
It's pure GTO. The interior & chopped roof are from an upcoming concept car. Plus a dash of Rex magic.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 30 2004, 04:13 PM
No Saabs were harmed in the making of that photoshop (or used either).
It's pure GTO. The interior & chopped roof are from an upcoming concept car. Plus a dash of Rex magic.
I thought that looked familiar :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by lakota@Mar 30 2004, 02:52 PM
I think the vert would be too expensive, way too heavy (probably 4000+ lbs),
and unless they really upped the HP it would really be a dog in the performance arena.
BTW, the 2004 Vette Vert weighs 2 pounds more than the 2004 Vette Coupe.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Now that I think about it though...my question is..... where would the top go?

The re-positioned fuel tank in the GTO takes up most of the trunk room and in front of that is the rear seat, would the top take up the rest of the trunk when folded, by adding "reverse" opening trunk lid, similar to an SLK? Or would the rear seats have to be made smaller and moved up a bit and the fuel tank moved slightly rearward and made a little smaller perhaps? Either way, the convertible conversion sucks up what little trunk room there is, I know that the GTO is not about trunk room, but to have a 3600lb car that you cant put anything in is a little strange. The only way that the trunk can remain the same is to make the the GTO convertible either a 2 seater(weird) or to have a removable hardtop(weird too). Would the retractable sectional roof that is on the SSR work? eventhough the SSR has a smaller roof being that it's a 2 seater, the "stacking" retractable metal hardtop in a narrow "bulkhead" area between the gas tank and the rear seats might be another possible solution.

Also the rear quarter windows might have to be made smaller to be able to retract into the body, plus extra power window motors and switches.

Maybe he is refering to the next-gen GTO?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hmm makes me wonder if they are going to re-position the gas tank with the 05 models.....? If not by 05, will then in 07?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me or does the new GTO seem similiar in design to a 95ish Monte? I sure hope it runs and handles like they claim or they won't sell except to people who missed out buying a 95' Monte. :flush:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts