GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im so sorry about making the last poll about the vibe or the ion, but I have discovered that with my gms price and rebates I could afford a Grand Prix or Malibu (neither very loaded, of course). So I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions one last time for me on these two cars. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This may sound strange, but it depends on the trim level.

If you go all out, I recommend the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the Series III supercharged engine.

If not, I'd get a Malibu.

Why? Well, I'd prefer the newer Epsilon platform of the Malibu and fully redesigned engine in the LS Malibu to the older 3800 engine and refined but still a W-body platform of the base Grand Prix.

So if your choice is Base Grand Prix vs. LS Malibu with the 3.5L V6, I'd choose Malibu.

If base vs. base, I'd choose the Grand Prix. The base Malibu's 4 cyl. really isn't that thrilling in a car the size of the Malibu, and is far outclassed in torque and horsepower grunt by the 3800 V6 - which isn't a bad engine (just old), and gets good fuel economy.

If LS vs. GTP - the Grand Prix. The GTP (esp. with Comp G package) is too cool, and has refinements and performance improvements galore, including improvements to the supercharged 3800 engine that truly earn it "Series III" status with a horsepower bump (unlike the base engine that only has emissions improvements).

Is that confusing enough? :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No ming, it was not confusing, that was an awesome breakdown....So I was planning on getting either the basic V-6 Malibu or the Grand Prix, and with that you are going with the Malibu...hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
yes, yes-- Ming is right. So if you are comparing the V6 Mali to a base GP, the Mali would probably be the smarter choice... Although the GP is sexier in all trims...

Hm-- I would decide based on what the car does for you when you drive it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you want:
Sporty- choose Grand Prix
luxury- Choose SAAB 9-3
Anything else- choose malibu

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So many responses!!! The reason Im tentative with the Malibu is that it seems more like a family car sedan, while the Grand Prix has more of cooler look to it.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I can afford a fully loaded Malibu (with leather and sunroof) but can't afford the top model GrandPrix. I only like to buy the top model of anything.
I am really not crazy about the styling of the Malibu. A little too plain, and weird in places. But I drove it and was impressed.
I think I'm going to buy something used, and get a G6 when it comes out. The best of both Malibu and GP.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ugh, after a little more research I found out that the safety rating (dont laugh at me for looking at this) for side impact are two and 3 stars, Front impact is solid at 4 and 4, but jeez is the car really that unsafe on the side?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
as for saftey concerns, I dont know.

Have you also thought about the Maxx? I dont know about interior specs, with with the added wheelbase length, the interior space is going to be bigger then your average malibu. Plus you have a car that not a lot of people have and that has a bit more flare then your average sedan out there. You get the 3.5 v6 too. Price isnt all that bad either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive seen the Maxx and I dont really like its styling + even with GMS pricing a Maxx would probably be too expensive.

Also, good news for the Grand Prix: Msn said driver side impact was 2 stars but its actually 3 stars....stupid msn lying to me, again.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs@Feb 25 2004, 08:48 PM
Ive seen the Maxx and I dont really like its styling + even with GMS pricing a Maxx would probably be too expensive.

Also, good news for the Grand Prix: Msn said driver side impact was 2 stars but its actually 3 stars....stupid msn lying to me, again.
but really-- who would dare hit a sexy GP? :p

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle+Feb 26 2004, 03:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr_Pringle @ Feb 26 2004, 03:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chicubs@Feb 25 2004, 08:48 PM

but really-- who would dare hit a sexy GP? :p [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: ....Im buying the Grand Prix today! Wohoo!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs+Feb 26 2004, 08:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicubs @ Feb 26 2004, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 03:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-chicubs
@Feb 25 2004, 08:48 PM

but really-- who would dare hit a sexy GP? :p
:lol: :lol: ....Im buying the Grand Prix today! Wohoo! [/b][/quote]
well good choice man! can't go wrong with either the GP or malibu, assuming you like both. but you'll enjoy the GP for sure! you'll have to provide pics, of course!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Canuck@Feb 26 2004, 09:56 PM
Did you drive both cars? Extended test drives?
No. not extended test drives, but the ride of both the cars was very, very nice. Both exceeded my expectations. What it came down to was basically looks. The malibu is rather bland, but not too bad, but the GP looks nice and sporty, which is good for a young guy like me.

Its pretty much a base gp with anti lock and power package. I couldnt afford much else even with gms. The Malibu I wanted was more expensive as the rebates were not very nice compared to the massive rebates on the GP.

I feel like I got a steal...2 o clock saturday!!!...what to mod, what to mod. :D :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GT1
Silver with black interior
stock spoiler
power package
anti lock brakes

Its all mine!!! Ill probably going to get the dash kit from clubgpstore and get a new grill and chrome exhausts...not doing the wheels, yet as the current wheels dont look have bad.

EDIT: Its the newest 2004 GP with the good interior/backseat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts