GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early March 25, a fire that began in the engine compartment of a 2000 Grand Prix spread through an attached garage at 5310 Rockford Drive.
The couple inside the home escaped safely, but the car and a pickup were a total loss. Schweitzer said the house and its contents suffered about $100,000 in damages and loss
Lincoln Journal-Star Article

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sucks. I actually just took my dad's 2000 GTP in for him today under recall. He's out of town golfing, and wanted it settled by the time he gets home and has to go back to work next week. The fix isn't time consuming at all, took them about an hour and a half. Now he had noticed and even mentioned to me on occasion that he's noticing a burning oil smell lately. Then I saw something awhile back that there was an investigation underway. So he wasn't totally shocked by the recall letter he got informing him of the recall pertaining to a possible oil fire and to not park the car in a structure until having it serviced by your dealer.

Getting it good and hot today, I parked it outside just in case they made it worse by "fixing" it. ;) I could see that scenerio in my head, having it serviced and only then does it burst into flames.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
so, I take it that this is only for the GTP variants? Just making sure, My brother has a '99 GT.... Would kinda suck to have it burn up in the parking lot...

-Chase

·
Registered
17 Posts
So is the recall officially under way?

PS the issue fixed by recall is oil leak from valve cover. If you are too stupid to figure this out when it is leaking badly enough to set the car ablaze (there should be SIGNIFICANT oil smell and smoke from under the hood) well...
Yeah, it's officially under way. They sent out the letters earlier in March, and it took a couple weeks for the dealership to get the proper parts for the recall.

The one thing they told me about that front valve cover is that it can leak out without ever causing a problem. The recall said hard braking may cause oil to ignite on the exhaust manifold. Having accidently caused an oil fire while adding oil to the GTP and spilling a couple drops on the hot exhaust manifold, I highly believe it could be a problem if all the circumstances fall into place at once.

Here's the recall letter text explaining the problem that was sent to owners:

Excerpt:

We believe that the fires may be caused by drops of oil being deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. If the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame and in some instances the fire may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel. This may have occured in about one in one thousand vehicles.

We are currently working with our suppliers to obtain sufficient parts so that we can launch a full recall to address this situation.

Please know that we understand the concern this may cause and the need to correct it as quickly as we can. Until we are able to do so, there are three very important precautions you should take:

- We strongly recommend you not park your vehicle in a garage, car port, or other structure.

-If you notice a burning odor, you should have your dealer inspect your vehicle. The dealer will inspect your vehicle without charge.

- Use premium fuel (91 octane or higher) in your vehicle, as recommended in your owners manual.

They didn't notice a significant leak on his (indeed, it never left any signs on the garage floor) but it'd only have taken a drop or two in the right spot at the right time. The fix was to replace the valve cover gasket, redirect a wire harness, replace some grommets.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I brought my car to the dealer a couple days ago. I dropped it off around lunchtime and it was ready around 3. My valve cover gasket was leaking before I got the recall in so I didn't drive the car to much. Didn't even want to risk it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts