GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX AUTOCROSS FEATURES V-8 ENGINE, PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES

For 2004, the new Grand Prix production car elevated the concept of style, performance and excitement to create a segment-leading midsize sedan. At the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, Pontiac kicks the Grand Prix’s performance capabilities up a notch with a 350-horsepower V-8 engine. The Grand Prix is one of a number of performance-tuned, specially equipped show vehicles suitable for Autocross racing applications.

The Grand Prix Autocross show car features GM’s 5.3-liter V-8 engine with cat-back exhaust, bigger stabilizer bars, performance-tuned shocks and springs and lowered wheel-to-body ride height.

A number of enhancements give the Grand Prix Autocross a more performance-oriented, substantial appearance, including a custom-made carbon fiber hood with air inlets, front fascia with carbon fiber inset and rear fascia carbon fiber extensions and rocker panel, new grille, projector beam headlamps with carbon fiber housing, a GM Performance Parts-modified spoiler with carbon fiber extension and dual aluminum exhaust outlets.

Stainless Steel Brake Corp. custom rotors and calipers, custom 18-inch wheels and BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD tires complete the performance package. Inside, performance touches include custom aluminum pedals, sporty, sleek seats trimmed with Naugahyde material and Delphi custom gauge cluster package with redesigned graphics.

The Grand Prix Autocross features a hydrographic trim kit in carbon fiber. This appearance kit, to be offered as a Pontiac accessory, enables owners to custom trim their vehicles in potentially hundreds of patterns or colors.

Optically enhanced exterior paint in Dark Cherry coats the Grand Prix Autocross. This paint is developed by Color Design Studio of America and produced by Sherwin Williams.

The 2004 production Grand Prix offers two versions of its 3800 3.8L Series III V-6 engine: the normally aspirated 3.8L V-6 with 200 horsepower, and a 3.8L V-6 with 260 horsepower. Both engines employ electronic throttle control (ETC) to provide no-lag engine response. A new Competition Group Package (Comp G), optional on the GTP model, makes the production Grand Prix capable of attaining .83G of lateral acceleration in turns. StabiliTrak, a segment-exclusive four-wheel vehicle stability enhancement system, also is included in the Comp G package, as well as TAPshift (Touch Activated Power), a feature providing all the fun of driving a manual transmission while retaining the convenience of an automatic.

PONTIAC GRAND PRIX AUTOCROSS VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:

- 350 horsepower 5.3L V-8 engine
- Appearance package including custom-made carbon fiber hood with air inlets, front fascia with carbon fiber insert and rear fascia carbon fiber extensions and rocker panel, new grille, projector beam headlamps, a GM Performance Parts-modified spoiler with carbon fiber extension, dual aluminum exhaust outlets with carbon fiber housings
- Performance tuned shocks and struts
- Lowered wheel-to-body ride height
- Stainless Steel Brake Corp. rotors and calipers
- Custom 18-inch wheels
- BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires
- Custom Naugahyde-trimmed seats and door panels
- Delphi custom cluster package with redesigned graphics
- Pontiac Accessories hydrographic trim kit in carbon fiber
- Dark Cherry optically enhanced exterior paint

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Oct 28 2003, 02:15 PM
**crosses fingers and hopes that this V8 will be a future option**
Add that to the AWD that was mentioned on a prior Grand Prix concept, and it would DOMINATE. B)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Oct 28 2003, 07:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Oct 28 2003, 07:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr_Pringle@Oct 28 2003, 02:15 PM
Add that to the AWD that was mentioned on a prior Grand Prix concept, and it would DOMINATE. B) [/b][/quote]
AWD on a W-body? I dont think so....

Maybe you meant Grand Am(G6)...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good idea, just badly imployed. I could do without the cheasy ground effects, didnt pontiac just get AWAY from that?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Oct 28 2003, 06:41 PM
Good idea, just badly imployed. I could do without the cheasy ground effects, didnt pontiac just get AWAY from that?
It was the cladding from pontiac that made it look cheesy, I feel the ground effects gives it that lower stance...IMHO

·
Registered
685 Posts
wasn't the G8, GTX or something like that an AWD V8 G/P concept a few years ago? Why couldn't it have been the forebearer of this design. I am sure it had something to do with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is this concept RWD or FWD? I remember reading something in the past about difficulties with having FWD V8s bigger than 5.0L because managing the torque steer became a problem.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Erunion+Oct 28 2003, 05:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Erunion @ Oct 28 2003, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2003, 07:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mr_Pringle
@Oct 28 2003, 02:15 PM

Add that to the AWD that was mentioned on a prior Grand Prix concept, and it would DOMINATE. B)
AWD on a W-body? I dont think so....

Maybe you meant Grand Am(G6)... [/b][/quote]
http://formen.ign.com/news/28568.html?fromint=1

It was the "G8", Skyboy

G8 Concept Car

If the General doesn't rush this one to production, we'll eat his babies. ..

December 4, 2000

...And shave his cats bald. Drain his pool. Clog his septic system. Is that a threat or an endorsement? Ask someone who cares. All I know is that GM's closing out their Y2K run of concept cars with a slew of groovy V8 coupes, including this barking mad, LS1-powered, AWD Grand Prix one-off, and I want one.

GM, as you may recall, was the first American auto manufacturer to wed all-wheel-drive to high-performance. The GMC Syclone/Typhoon series, unleashed on an unsuspecting public back in '92, was a masterpiece of hi-tech parts-bin scrounging, a liquid-quick street killer that utilized S-10 skin and bones, a turboed 4.3 liter V6, and a full-time, all-wheel-drive platform that propelled it into the low 14s dead stock. The Syclone could run a Ferrari off its rims through the quarter despite brick-like drag and gruesome bed turbulence. This was a force to reckoned with, the wave of the future, the Next Big Thing. Clearly, it had no chance.

The Ty/Sy run ended abruptly with the 1993 model year, an apparent victim of some sort of guerilla action by the bean counters, or perhaps a corporate brain hemorrage. History is a little shaky on this point. In any event, four-wheel performance was dead as disco in America.

Now the patient has a heart-beat, albeit a faint one.

The Grand Prix G8 concept car, released at the SEMA show in October, blends GTP-styled flesh, a fully-independent suspension incorporating the General's new AWD Versatrak system, and a warmed-over LS1 with Ram-Air induction into one very yummy-looking package.

The 5.7 liter V8-powered one-off crabks out 350 ponies through a four-speed automatic and spins all four balonies courtesy of the aforementioned Versatrak system, which is slated to begin production in early 2001 on the uglier-than-thou Aztec. Exhaust spews through a set of home-spun tube headers and true duals. Other notable goodies include hefty drilled disc brakes, one-off 19" rollers, and a perforated leather interior. I could do without the DVD player arrears, but maybe I'm just a Luddite. Regardless, the G8 hits 60 in 5.5 seconds so a little excessive gadgetry can be forgiven.

Much of the beauty of this package is, nearly every bolt, stitch, seam, and beam, in this one-off Grand Prix comes straight from factory on one model or another. Think of it as an amalgamation of GM engineer's greatest hits. Ergo, a production variation of the G8 would require little in the way of new tooling. So build the bloody thing. Are you listening, General? We will eat your children. We do not make idle threats.

Graham Strouse rarely makes idle threats, but he has been accused of exaggerating slightly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There's also a write up on the G8 at EDMUNDS.com web page:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/conceptcarspot...25/article.html

Says 5.7 liter LS-1 derived 350hp V8 under the hood and the Versatrack AWD. Sounds a lot like the GTO (except the AWD part)

I still want one!!

Santa - can you have GM hook us up please, and then place one in my garage Christmas morning??

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Oct 29 2003, 12:44 AM
Is this concept RWD or FWD?  I remember reading something in the past about difficulties with having FWD V8s bigger than 5.0L because managing the torque steer became a problem.
I am assuming it is FWD since RWD V8 would be a story in itself for this model and it was MotorTrend that said the thing about torque steer:
Engines of more than 5.0 litres create significant torque-steer issues when installed in front-drive chassis.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I have heard a few rumors that GM is interested in sticking the small block V8's in some of the W body cars like the Monte Carlo and Impala, so this car is not that far out of the question. It probablt will not have the 350hp, but how about a nice 300? That would put it over the 2004 GXP Bonneville though, but I guess by the time this car come out the Bonneville will either be history or moved up to a RWD platform and 350-400hp to sit at the top of the Pontiac performance line up along with the next gen GTO.

I hope the later happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts