Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grand Am sales climb 39.7%
Cadillac CTS purchases fall 17.6%, GM says
May 05, 2004
Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

Sales of the Pontiac Grand Am increased 39.7 percent in April, but sales of the Cadillac CTS fell 17.6 percent, General Motors Corp. reported Tuesday.

Overall, GM said it sold 401,454 new cars and trucks in April, up 0.2 percent from April 2003. The modest increase didn't meet the world's largest automaker's expectations. Coming months could be better, GM spokeswoman Kim Carpenter said.

Last week's news that GM's Lansing Grand River plant won the J.D. Powers & Associates' gold award for quality could entice buyers, she said. The factory builds the Cadillac CTS and SRX.

Despite the lower numbers, Cadillac sales remained strong last month at Young Chevrolet Olds Cadillac in Owosso.

"We had a record Cadillac year last year and we're on track for another one," dealership President Tony Young said.

Even so, the CTS has had better months than April. The entry-level Caddy had been credited for boosting GM sales in recent months, but it wasn't mentioned by name in GM's news release Tuesday.

The Pontiac Grand Am, made at Lansing Car Assembly, did better. Carpenter said Grand Am sales could remain strong because the model also fared well in the J.D. Power report.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
I'm stoked about the recent performances of Pontiac in general and the Grand Am specifically, but I wonder if it's a mixed blessing. Several key people in GM have expressed to the media recently their continued optimism in Pontiac's performance as the launch of the G6 approaches. Based on the Grand Am's present performance, that would mean that the G6 will need to sell 13,000-14,000 units per month to match the Grand Am's performance. With the launch of the G6 limited to the sedan only, it seems dubious to suggest that the G6 will not only match the GA but appreciably exceed its sales. Unless, of course, GM pulls another Chevrolet Classic/Malibu trick, and the combined sales of a 2005 Grand Am/G6 are expected to outsell the present 2004 Grand Am, which seems much more realistic. Do the people "in the know" know anything about this?

·
Banned
895 Posts
My guess is that rental fleets added the Grand Am which accounts for the sales increases. No one in their right mind would buy a product that was dated in the 1980's and continues to be passed off to unsuspecting customers in 2004.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 5 2004, 06:24 PM
My guess is that rental fleets added the Grand Am which accounts for the sales increases. No one in their right mind would buy a product that was dated in the 1980's and continues to be passed off to unsuspecting customers in 2004.
The Grand Am was put on a completely new platform in 1999. The transmission was carried over, which is pretty common for all manufacturers (how often does a transmission need a total redesign) and I suppose there will be some crap about the "1980 Citation engine", even I'm sure there's not a single part in common.

So we're left with the name, which actually came out in the mid 70's. Please explain your comment about the car being dated in the 1980's.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 5 2004, 06:24 PM
dated in the 80's? the current grand am has been significantly updated since the 80's. the version that came out in the early 90's impressed many and sold very well. the newest version is a little tired now, but is still a very solid car. with the kinda deal you'd get on one now i'd consider it.

unsuspecting? anyone who chooses to buy it has most likely driven it and knows the specifications. how can they be considered unsuspecting? the grand am is what it is... no one is suggesting it's a brand new, high-tech sports sedan or coupe. it's a middle of the road sporting car, and does everything well, if nothing exceptional.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Mustang is dated to 1979 and it sells like crazy.
Why are people not in their right mind to buy them?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I'm stoked about the recent performances of Pontiac in general and the Grand Am specifically, but I wonder if it's a mixed blessing. Several key people in GM have expressed to the media recently their continued optimism in Pontiac's performance as the launch of the G6 approaches. Based on the Grand Am's present performance, that would mean that the G6 will need to sell 13,000-14,000 units per month to match the Grand Am's performance. With the launch of the G6 limited to the sedan only, it seems dubious to suggest that the G6 will not only match the GA but appreciably exceed its sales. Unless, of course, GM pulls another Chevrolet Classic/Malibu trick, and the combined sales of a 2005 Grand Am/G6 are expected to outsell the present 2004 Grand Am, which seems much more realistic. Do the people "in the know" know anything about this?

From what I have heard the plan is to run the Grand Am coupe as a GT only model through the end of the 2005 MY when the G6 coupe will be introduced into the pipeline. The Grand Am sedan will be the 1st model replaced by the G6, so as the Grand Am sedans filter of the lot, the G6 sedans will be arriving, this should be by the end of summer. Since the Grand Am's bestselling model is the sedan, and the G6 sedan will be out 1st, I would not worry too much about the sales numbers. Hopefully the G6 convertible introduction will not be too far behind the G6 coupe roll-out.

The Grand Am namplate dates back to 1973. It originally ran as the top of the line Grand Touring version of the LeMans. It was sold from 1973 to 1975. Then it was re-introduced in 1978 on the downsized mid-size A body cars, again as a sporty version of the LeMans, this lasted through 1980. Pontiac brought the Grand Am name back in 1985 on the new N body coupes and it has been one of Pontiacs bestsellers since....the current generation Grand Am was introduced in 1999.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 5 2004, 01:24 PM
Another factless laserwizard rant. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have owned a 2000 Grand Am GT since new. At 4 years and 75000 miles it still runs great. Never had a problem with the engine or transmission. I liked the G6 concept car. I'll have to check out the production version.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
The engine in the GA is the Ecotec 2.2, a complete clean-sheet redesigned motor that originally saw its North American debut with the Saturn L-series.

The platform is an entirely new design from 1999, where the previous generation used a heavily modified J-body platform dating to 1982.

Tranny is a very good piece, but it is an "storied" design, that can trace it's roots back to the 1980 THM 125 in the X-cars (actually, all the HM FWD transaxles can trace back to that). Still it's completely different between 1980 and now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Isn't it weird, Pontiac had a hard time selling them from 73-80 even though it was rated one of the best A-bodies of the time and then in 85 and up it has been a top seller for the division. It has remained so ever since.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Originally posted by Smaart Aas Saabr@May 5 2004, 04:01 PM
Tranny is a very good piece, but it is an "storied" design, that can trace it's roots back to the 1980 THM 125 in the X-cars (actually, all the HM FWD transaxles can trace back to that). Still it's completely different between 1980 and now. 
The old TH-125C! I wound up breaking 3 of those when I built a V8 Fiero a few years back. Great little tranny in it's day. Hard to believe the 4T80 in the Cadillacs is related to it, however remotely!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Grand am from 94 has run for over 140000 miles without any trouble, there could be some improvements but overall i think the car has been anything anyone would expect.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why oh why can't GM release all of their models at once? Especially with the G6 it would have the greater effect of creating more buzz for the sedan with the radically different, nicer, coupe. Seriously GM, whats the hold up? I can understand the hardtop vert, but the coupe shouldn't be a problem, should it? At least don't make us wait a whole year before releasing it, same goes for the GXP. Damn, sometimes GM pisses me off so much.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by turbo240@May 6 2004, 07:18 AM
Why oh why can't GM release all of their models at once? Especially with the G6 it would have the greater effect of creating more buzz for the sedan with the radically different, nicer, coupe. Seriously GM, whats the hold up? I can understand the hardtop vert, but the coupe shouldn't be a problem, should it? At least don't make us wait a whole year before releasing it, same goes for the GXP. Damn, sometimes GM pisses me off so much.
yeah, i agree. get it in gear and have some choices for us. sedan is nice, but many buyers will want the coupe. when the G6 sedan is out i sure won't wanna buy the old version grand am 2-door, and it'll be a long wait for the G6 coupe. might send a few buyers elsewhere looking for a coupe. perhaps they wanna get producing the high-volume sedan first, but it's tough to wait for such nice toys!

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
And I want to see the 3.9L and the six speed combo right away none of this 3.5/Auto at launch and then having to wait a year for the other combo.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Outdated or not, the Grand Am is a pretty nice car. Underpowered but nice. I considered buying one a year ago.
A black coupe, the car was comfortable to drive and is not bad to look at. GM should have added some ponies since the competition is doing 200+ horses. It would be even nicer if the optional hood had a functional scoop.
People that have them are often repeat buyers so it must say something for the car. I guess that the crazy public for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to see the Grand Am sales climbing, if the Grand Am is doing this good, just think how good the G6 will do when it comes out late this year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts