GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PONTIAC GRAND AM AUTOCROSS HITS 300 HORSEPOWER WITH 3.5-LITER V-6

Year after year, Pontiac Grand Am builds on its success as a driver’s car. At the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, Pontiac debuts a Grand Am Autocross show car, one of several performance-tuned, specially equipped show vehicles suitable for Autocross racing applications.

The Grand Am Autocross show car is equipped with a turbocharged, intercooled 3.5-liter V-6 engine that achieves 300 horsepower, as well as performance-tuned custom struts and shocks, cat-back exhaust, Stainless Steel Brakes rotors and calipers and lowered wheel-to-body ride height.

A number of custom enhancements give the Grand Am Autocross a more substantial, performance-oriented appearance, including custom front and rear fascias, rear spoiler, rockers and taillamps, projector beam headlamps and dual aluminum exhaust outlets.

Custom 18-inch wheels and BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD tires complete the performance package. Inside, aluminum pedals, a custom shifter knob and racing-inspired front seats with four-point belts add performance touches. Seats and door panels have been re-trimmed with Naugahyde. A Delphi custom cluster package offers redesigned graphics.

The Grand Am Autocross features a hydrographic trim kit. This appearance kit, to be offered as a Pontiac Accessory, enables owners to custom trim their vehicles in potentially hundreds of patterns or colors.

Optically enhanced exterior paint in Cosmic Blue coats the Grand Am Autocross. This paint is developed by Color Design Studio of America and produced by Sherwin Williams.

PONTIAC GRAND AM AUTOCROSS VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:
- 3.5-liter, 300-horsepower V-6 engine
- Performance-oriented appearance, including custom front and rear fascias, spoiler, rockers and taillamps, projector beam headlamps and dual aluminum exhaust outlets
- Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. rotors and calipers
- Custom 18-inch wheels
- BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires
- Custom aluminum pedals and custom shifter knob
- Racing-inspired front seats with four-point belts
- Naugahyde-trimmed seats and door panels
- Delphi custom cluster package with redesigned graphics
- Pontiac Accessories hydrographic trim kit
- Cosmic Blue optically enhanced exterior paint

·
Registered
285 Posts
A Grand Am with a 3.5L engine? And this will happen in the next 9 months? OK, maybe I can get some dude at the local chop shop to build this for me with a turbocharger and a 3.5 from a 2004 Malibu. :p

·
Registered
571 Posts
that looks awesome!! 300hp!! step back Altima

·
Registered
750 Posts
Loks good and I think I like it more than the oothers, but WTF ALTEZZA LIGHTS....GROSSS.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Everything but the taillights are nice. I really like the interior color scheme. Also, is it just me or does that look like the shifter for a manual tranny?

·
Registered
4 Posts
sure it is a Manuel shift. Grand Ams can be bought with a manuel Tranny. Atleast here in Canada. Is this for real are they really going to put this into production? I have one thing to say......SWEET!!!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by waffler@Oct 29 2003, 09:44 AM
only the 4banger grand am has a manual shift the v6 one doesnt this is just another one of GMs chop jobs
I noticed that too....wonder if it runs, and what transmission it uses if it does?

I thought GM used to have a 3.4L Lumina Z34 coupe way back when with a manual trans....but that probably wouldn't be able to handle the torque of this concept anyway...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Altezzas are ghey!

That is pretty much the only negative I'd have about the exterior of this car. Otherwise, the GA Autocross is friggin beautiful. Pontiac would be foolish to not offer this as a limited model. It could bring a little more excitement back to Pontiac as they wait for the G6 replacement of the GA (the G6 is gonna REALLY bring Pontiac back IMO).

The interior is still the same low grade plastic crap we've come to expect from Pontiac (except the GTO). However the use of colors certainly helps offset this glaring issue and makes the interior look a bit more acceptable. I'm not big on the faux carbon fiber on the center console (it looks like faux carbon fiber to me anyways).

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I hate cars like this cause it reminds me of what was always possible with the Grand Am if those bleeping suit/beancounters stayed out of the way. Lets hope the goodies on this car are available in a future G-6 model coupe.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
very nice looking car, the styling is really nice especially in the back...it's sorta higher of the ground...looks a bit aggressive...one problem though..altezzas=homosexual tendencies...I'd buy it...but then IU'd put in stock lights from a junkyard XD 300 HP is nice too, that'll haul ***. Good bye altima, accord, and all you other "performance" coupes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts