GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with there not being any "good" GM magazine 2 read??... I buy GM Hightech performance every once and a while when they have a decent article or 2 in the zine 2 read. Pontiac High performance is about as clueless as they come, late or next 2 non-exsistant info on any new type of Pontiac related vehicle.
Yet if I look over @ the Ford camp there are solid mags on nothing,but Mustangs...what gives???.....Anyone know of a decent GM mag that I won't finish from front 2 back in a couple of hours???

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
super chevy
High Performance Pontiac
Camaro Mag
Chevelle Mag
GMHTP
all the ones I can think of.

edit: chevy rumble.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Owning 2 Caravans, I receive a Dodge magazine that is issued by Dodge. A high quality printing which carries some good stuff but most of it is the usual "look what is new". BUT, most importantly, there is such a magazine from Dodge.

I e-mailed Chevy about them doing the same. You know, what are people doing with their cars. Guys customizing their Cavaliers, maybe what is going on with the Monte Carlos. Something to keep the customer tied to GM. Then there is the story of some family's vacation in a GM van. Then, on the side, there are the promos for tune ups for the winter, etc. GM never replied to my e-mail.

For the few bucks, I probably paid for the description when purchasing the vans.

Show some photos of local car shows, etc.

My problem with the mags like Chevy or Fords is that all the feature articles can be lumped into the following categories.
Old Camaros
Old Mustangs
Newer Camaros
Newer Mustangs

Then you are forced to buy Nova (for me) but I would still like to see some Ford Fairlane GT's, Chevy Impalas (very infrequent; you must catch the right issue). Oh, did I mention late model Monte Carlos? haha.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If you own an F-body, there are a ton.

If you own a GM muscle car, then you've got a few.

If you own a GM non-F-body non-muscle car, you're hosed.

That about sums it up.

My favorite is "GM High Tech Performance" or somesuch mag. I actually subscribed. Aside from the rare article on Bonneville GXP or an Impala FWD with an LS1 stuffed in it, the magazine was mostly F-body stuff.

Pretty sad that GM's "high tech" magazine is mostly concerned with cars that departed in 2002, and even then were not really considered all that "high tech".

I suppose this is partly GM's fault for not offering the product, but I expect more Cadillac CTS, Saab 9-3, and Corvette articles out of the self-professed "High Tech" mag.

Still, I imagine they'd get a lot of hate mail from the F-body boys if they started moving in that direction. :argue:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 10 2004, 03:22 PM
If you own an F-body, there are a ton.

If you own a GM muscle car, then you've got a few.

If you own a GM non-F-body non-muscle car, you're hosed.

That about sums it up.

My favorite is "GM High Tech Performance" or somesuch mag. I actually subscribed. Aside from the rare article on Bonneville GXP or an Impala FWD with an LS1 stuffed in it, the magazine was mostly F-body stuff.

Pretty sad that GM's "high tech" magazine is mostly concerned with cars that departed in 2002, and even then were not really considered all that "high tech".

I suppose this is partly GM's fault for not offering the product, but I expect more Cadillac CTS, Saab 9-3, and Corvette articles out of the self-professed "High Tech" mag.

Still, I imagine they'd get a lot of hate mail from the F-body boys if they started moving in that direction. :argue:
I know some of the guys that write inthe mag(the mag is based in NJ) and they always get crap about how they dont do this, or dont do that, or they should do this more, and less of this.... trust me they have tons of things they can do, but they base it on what is out there the most. How many people do you see moding northstar motors, and 9-3 saab's? Next to none compared to the fbody population out there.
They run 3 kinda cars in there: Fbody, GN, and GTP's. Thoes are the 3 types of cars that are most popular for modding. And as for high tech, they mean EFI. And the late model fbody is very "high tech." I can show you a guys car that is more high tech then any MB or BMW out there. The LS1 guys, when they go for the through, they dont play around with modding and what not. John Meany's 1300hp twin turbo 400ci small block C4 vette was tunned by a computer program made by himself.
They are very high tech compared to some mags where they drop a carb motor in, turn some screws, and fire her up. GMHTP mag is a very good mag for late model fbody, GN, and supercharged 3.8 cars. The guys that write inthe mag are very cool, and they are at englishtown raceway a lot. You can see there project cars on the track and talk to them one on one. They are going to do a fuel system upgrade for my friends blown 383 Iroc and do a whole article on his car! I told him to throw my name in there because he brought his car to my "shop."

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 10 2004, 12:02 PM

They are very high tech compared to some mags where they drop a carb motor in, turn some screws, and fire her up.  GMHTP mag is a very good mag for late model fbody, GN, and supercharged 3.8 cars.  The guys that write inthe mag are very cool, and they are at englishtown raceway a lot. 
That is true, and I did enjoy several articles, and they DO pick the most popular modded GM cars, but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed that 8 out of 10 of the magazine covers are F-Bodies.

Do I hate F-bodies? No. I used to want one. But it seems to me the NOPI-style / Import mags like "European Car" are all about what is fresh and new, and GM not having an equivalent magazine is frustrating. I don't need a magazine all about Cavaliers with 20 inch wheels, but I think we at GMInsidenews do a better job of covering GM's "High Tech" introductions than most places on the web or in print, and it would be really nice to see a magazine take a 2004 Grand Prix, Saab 9-3, or Cadillac CTS and mod them out --- instead of us having to wait for GM to make a show car concept at SEMA, and the hot rod / muscle / modding Magazines all cover GM cars GM doesn't even make anymore. (Except the Corvette tuner cars that most of us could never afford :))

The editors do seem cool, and they even did an article on an Alero or Grand Am once that shocked me --- I just think the pressure is on for them to stick in the past, not the "high tech" future and what GM is producing now (like it or not, FWD or RWD).

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Here I am writing about mfr's not having one when it hit me that Pontiac has such a magazine. And I know this because a buddy was featured in it. He has been owning Grand Ams for hundreds of years. In fact, his whole family have Grand Ams.
So, does Chevy have a like magazine?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Chevrolet DID....I don't know if it still exists. Years ago, I remember seeing "Friends" magazine from Chevrolet. I thought every major brand had a magazine. Ford had Ford Times. Dodge had Adventurer. I have copies of Lexus, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz magazines around here. I just assumed that Chevrolet still had an owners magazine.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
69, I dont know wtf your talking about hehehehe. What kind of mag, sport compact mag?

I do agree that there could be some ecotec turbo articles, but I think they have already built up a fan base of mostly Fbodys, and LS1 fbody's. Its sad to see them spend big bucks on stuff that would really only cost them only a few. They dont really go for the cheap aspect all the time, if at all. Id like to see a blower install on a ecotec or a turbo install on an ecotec. I think it would piss off 90% of the readers. I know I dont buy one unless there are at leas 2 third gen articles in them, and to find at least 1 is rare. You would think the third gen would be the "5.0" of the camaro comunity right? Cheap cars, cheap parts, cheap motors,... no they spend 1200 on exhaust for a 4th gen to pick up 10 hp? Spend money on mods that dont even net that much hp and throw money down the tubes. In there new mag, they have a guy who wrote a letter basicly summing up what kinda mail GMHTP gets every day. and I quote,

Best Letter
I just received the last issue of GMHTP and after reading teh letters complaining about coverage I just want to jump on the bandwagon..
1.Stop featuring thoes ancient 80's era G-Bodies, they're so old they didn't even get a CD player
2.Quit covering thoes 90's era Impalas, they're humongous 4door sedans for crap sake
3. Enough with teh late model fbodies already, everyone is sick of them
4. absolutely no more corvettes, they have their own magazines.
5. Dont bother trying to feed us thoes phony Aussie "GTOs" that dont even have a hood scoop(i like that one)
6. Please no Cadillacs either-- come on man, who can afford thoes?
7. You should skip thoes lame supercharged V6 front drivers all together.
8. Whatever you do, don;t cover any four bangers, we're not ricer wana bees.
9. Same goes for any other applicable model that I forgot, because I dont want to see it coverd either
Otherwise you guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work
as you can see, this sums up all the mail that they get every day. I think they should have 1 fbody article, 1 vette article, 1 GN article, 1 SC 3800 article, and 1 Ecotec article. They need to try to go to a full year, I bet they would have plenty to write about.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 09:19 AM
Best Letter
I just received the last issue of GMHTP and after reading teh letters complaining about coverage I just want to jump on the bandwagon..
1.Stop featuring thoes ancient 80's era G-Bodies, they're so old they didn't even get a CD player
2.Quit covering thoes 90's era Impalas, they're humongous 4door sedans for crap sake
5. Dont bother trying to feed us thoes phony Aussie "GTOs" that dont even have a hood scoop(i like that one)
9. Same goes for any other applicable model that I forgot, because I dont want to see it coverd either
Sounds like they should change the magazine name To "GM 4th Gen F-body High Tech Magazine" :p

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Feb 11 2004, 02:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Feb 11 2004, 02:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 09:19 AM
Best Letter
Sounds like they should change the magazine name To "GM 4th Gen F-body High Tech Magazine" :p [/b][/quote]
read #3.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
That "Best Letter" is pretty good.
Now, I am just thinking if Chevy has a mag. No matter what it covers. It's a way of keeping Chevrolet in the minds of its customers.
BTW, the Feb 04 issue covers a 96 Impala that is a daily driver. The big difference are the twin turbos that make the car do the 1/4 mile in the 10's and a 137mph speed. Basically 900 horses. It is an interesting article about a guy who did a nice piece of work. 26psi of boost is pretty mean.
Has naybody run a supercharger/turbo scheme? Could it fit under the hood of an MC?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts