GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4257460.html

Good...
Inside, the Volt looks spacious, with a techie attitude. The interior designers had to move the front seats outward a bit to clear the large center hump of the battery box, so the door skins were thinned by 12 to 15 mm in certain places to make room. The center stack is reminiscent of the new Cadillac CTS, and, get this, Weber promises the Volt will provide an iPhone-like touchscreen interface between driver and vehicle. A large display screen will likely be standard and allow owners to custom-tailor certain driving and charging parameters. For example, he says you could plug in your car at home and then program it to charge, say five hours later, when off-peak power is cheapest. Sustainable materials are all over the place, from a recycled carpet to soy-based foam seats.

Bad...
In the design studio, E-Flex design director Bob Boniface showed us the production car's corners. The front end is very smooth and rounded, kind of like a Honda Civic, while the rear take cues from the Toyota Prius with its high, hatchback trunk. But the rear deck spoiler is much larger, and the taillamps look very similar to the concept. The overall shape, which was covered by a red sheet in the studio, looked to have a very Prius-like profile. In other words, the proportions and overall style of the Volt probably won't look much like the concept.
I guess in a car like this aerodynamic efficiency comes first.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I found the Volt had a high back to start. It's just that the horizontal tail lights fool the eye. In fact, from the back, the Prius and Volt both have a high decklid look. The Prius' is a bit taller, but that's the way it was designed. Maybe GM raised the decklid on the Volt that much, but I doubt it. It may just look that way if you're up close to it. And if they only lifted a corner, it would have that same, blocky back end look the Prius has, except with horizontal tail lights.

The front is going to be rounded, we knew that as the original design wasn't very aerodynamic, according to Lutz.

Some shots of the rear end.

In profile, they both have large hind quarters. And if just shown a bit of the back the Volt's does look like the same height, etc. as a Prius. They should be, after all, about the same size.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hmm. Looking at it now, yeah it does have a pretty big butt.

As much as I hate to say it, aero efficiency comes before cool styling. If they can make it efficient and cool-looking, all the better.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The fact is that car companies use the same science and engineering for their vehicles. As we're forced to optimize we're going to converge on similar profiles. You might notice that planes seem to have very similar shapes and features.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Several things are a certainty when discussing GM from today:

1. The vehicle will not be roomy. With the latest releases from GM sacrificing room already - especially passenger room in the rear, the Volt will be a vehicle to avoid because it will be a torture chamber. GM having to play games with the thickness of the doors is remarkable. If they needed 12 to 15 mm of clearance, their engineers are profoundly not gifted when it comes to packaging the drivetrain - even an exotic one.

2. The vehicle will be half-baked when launched. Once again, after observing the latest incarnations of GM's products - they aren't really impressive. The hype does not match the execution. High beltlines, sitting in an antique bathtub interior sensation (not unlike sitting in a 1970's Ford Gran Torino), misalignment of numerous interior trim pieces, hard plastic surfaces, fake wood or fake aluminum, and numerous other exterior assembly maladies (Cobore huge panel gaps, Enclave rear bumper, tailgate, and quarter panel gap problems) will likely plague this vehicle.

Honestly I hope GM hits a home run for the sake of the domestic industry. GM continues to underwhelm the marketplace with inferior products that don't show a modicum of passion and design prowness. Combine this with the fraud of GM hybrids that continues to this day, GM has a lot of bad karma to erase because of its lazy and unethical management.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I found the Volt had a high back to start. It's just that the horizontal tail lights fool the eye. In fact, from the back, the Prius and Volt both have a high decklid look. The Prius' is a bit taller, but that's the way it was designed. Maybe GM raised the decklid on the Volt that much, but I doubt it. It may just look that way if you're up close to it. And if they only lifted a corner, it would have that same, blocky back end look the Prius has, except with horizontal tail lights.

The front is going to be rounded, we knew that as the original design wasn't very aerodynamic, according to Lutz.

Some shots of the rear end.

In profile, they both have large hind quarters. And if just shown a bit of the back the Volt's does look like the same height, etc. as a Prius. They should be, after all, about the same size.

Thanks for that, that's what I was thinking too. Most uneducated people when seeing a shape under a tarp are going to associate it with something they are familiar with. Besides, the profile of the cammo'd car we saw yesterday in the wind tunnel didn't look anything like the Prius! ;)

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
It's hard not to get excited about the potential of this car.

While I can understand the hierarchy of needs for this vehicle, it's too bad that the concept's design won't make it into production without much tampering. I think I'm in the minority of folks here who think the concept's design was great: low-slung, aggressive-looking. Kinda like it looked like it was going 100 mph while in park. It was a refreshing departure from the designs of similar vehicles sold as environmentally friendly. Hopefully, they can retain some of the concept's appeal, even if that means carrying over just a few of the concept's character lines.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
i couldn't care less what it looks like if it does what it's supposed to do. the only thing that makes me nervous about it is price. how much is it really going to impact oil consumption and pollution if only a small segment of the population is able to afford it? if you really think about it, there are a lot of older cars on the road that pollute twice as much and use nearly as much fuel as, say, a V8 model 300 or G8. making the most fuel efficient cars available to the smallest portion of society won't help much. especially when the people that can afford that economical car would rather buy a Tahoe with their $40 grand.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
i really hope they make a stripper version. the car described sounds like it could be a cadillac.

this is go though, help keep cost down:
"The Volt's chassis, meanwhile, was thought to offer a unique architecture developed solely for the Volt and its future E-Flex stablemates—not true. The Volt will use the next-gen "Delta" platform for small cars found underneath vehicles like the Chevy Cobalt, with a beam-type rear axle featuring coil springs and McPherson struts upfront. The internal combustion engine rides up front, as expected, but occupies only half the engine room. Much of the development for the hybrid electronics, comes from lessons GM learned from its Two-Mode hybrid program, said chief E-Flex engineer Frank Weber, also suggesting that that the Volt might share some electrical components with Two-Mode."

i wouldnt look to much into the car's description, it is popular mechanics, they arent exactly the most car savvy.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Definitly kills ANY chance of me ever wanting one.
I wouldn't think anyone who didn't realize Martin Keeley was a tool working for the oil industry would want a Volt anyway. The guy isn't even a publish scientist. The teller at the bank could give you just as informed an opinion on Global Warming as Keeley. He's a hired gun with no credentials.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
C of D iwhat get you MPG,look at a 430 HP corvette. get as good MPG as a impala,i know as i own both

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.