GM Inside News Forum banner

GMT355 of G8 ST?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you choose and why if you were in the market for a smallish pickup?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I'll take the ST, only for the fact that the 355 twins are so overpriced. Yes, I actually like the way Colorados look, especially in Xtreme trim level.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take the ST, only for the fact that the 355 twins are so overpriced. Yes, I actually like the way Colorados look, especially in Xtreme trim level.
Will the G8 ST be cheaper? What is its projected sticker price?

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Depends on what your needs are. If your the type of person that wants versatility over performance, doesn't want to draw attention to themselves and can live with Inline engines until the V8 comes out in 2009 then definitely get the Colorado or any of the GMT 355's.

However if your the type of person that wants performance and cargo capacity and versatility are not your primary concerns then get the G8 ST.

Also it's a tough choice because they are two completely different vehicles The Colorado is a small truck and the G8 is a go fast Ute

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what the sticker will be for an ST, I was just basing my choice on the fact that I already know the 355s are quite expensive.
Agreed. The base ones are not bad but when you start adding the options, extended/crew cab, and 4x4, your talking no less then 25k, and that is a little steep for what it is. Me, I got the base for just over 17k, just what I wanted but for the other 90% of buyers that want more then roll-up windows and manual locks w/ no keyless entry( lol ) I can see why this is a problem

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
G8 ST, the 355's suck, and if you are looking for speed, decently powered engines ,or a decent ride (An oxymoron in a truck) the 355 is not good at all. I'd take a Tacoma or a Frontier over a 355.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I already have a 08 3.7 Regcab colly. But i would buy the G8ST if it's priced under 31k.

Or i may go for the new 09 Dodge R/T Hemi regcab. I know it's a heavy full size, but some some mods on that 5.7 Hemi i can be near 500hp. Or i could mod the G8 ST.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i wouldnt buy a GMT 355 if it were the cheapest truck in the market. i think its a shoddy pile of crap. and thats being nice. worst truck ever built. ever. ........

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
G8 ST, most likely with the 3.6DI and 6spd auto. I can tow a race car on a trailer and a set of wheels/tires, haul a fridge or mattress set, or haul something else. While I like the 355's (especially the extended ZQ8's and the crew Z71's), it would have poorer fuel economy than a 3.6DI G8 ST, and even the 5.3 Colorado model wouldn't keep up in a drag race, let alone around a bend.

Or I could just get one of these (if they ever decide to bring over the package, making it look like I don't have a Pontiac truck!):

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
G8 ST because the 355s feel cheaper than they are. If I needed a 4x4 I'd probably have to get a Tacoma 4cyl./5-speed or go all the way up to a Sierra.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting that so many would go for the Tacoma over the 355s...

Why is that?

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I picked a 355 because there is no twin cab ST (yet :D). The GMT 355 I would get is the Rodeo 3.0TD 6 speed manual Crew Cab. I know Holden now sell the Colorado (or our version anyway) but really, it looks rubbish. I'd scour dealer lots for the last of the Rodeo.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
P.S. The G8 ST probably wont be able to tow a race car on a trailer unless its a midget sprint car. Towing is not a strong suit of the ST (if it is the same as the Holden Ute which has the highest towing capacity in the base model omega).

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Interesting that so many would go for the Tacoma over the 355s...

Why is that?
I wouldn't. I think the Tacoma is the ugliest truck Toyota's built. I'd rather have a '92 Toyota pickup than a new Tacoma. I've also put a lot of miles on the 4-cylinder 5-speed Tacoma, and it's not that thrifty. I've seen what guys can do to Colorados with a little work: painted interior trim, H3 bucket seats, billet grille, etc, and they look really good. The only competition in my mind is the Frontier. Great looking truck, [email protected] V-6, but an interior that's worse than a Colorado.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts