1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREEN CARS
GM's top battery executive for Volt to join California startup

Rick Kranz

DETROIT -- General Motors Co.'s top executive in charge of developing batteries for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid is leaving to take a position with an unnamed startup battery company in California.Denise Gray, 46, global director of rechargeable energy storage systems, will step down March 5 after more than three years in the post. This was “an opportunity that I could just not resist,” Gray said in a phone interview. “The good thing is I will be in the energy, advanced-battery area that I really truly believe has a promising future.”Gray added that she is “a strong supporter of the Volt and what GM is doing” but that she will be cheering from “a different seat.”Ronn Jamieson, director of global battery systems engineering, will temporarily assume reporting responsibilities for Gray's staff. Bill Wallace, manager of the Volt Battery System Engineering Group, will take on technical and program management responsibilities.The Volt, GM's flagship for a fuel-saving future, is designed to travel 40 miles on its battery before the gasoline engine starts. The vehicle will roll out slowly, starting in California. Production is targeted at 8,000 to 10,000 in the first full year. GM plans to ramp up to 50,000 to 60,000 annually, Ray said “there is never an ideal time to leave.” She noted that GM built the Volt's first production battery pack in January.

“The heavy lifting when it comes to the battery design is complete,” she said. All that remains “is fine tuning to make sure our manufacturing processes and all of our testing is in place.”

She will be the third key executive to leave the Volt team in the last six months.

In September, Bob Kruse, executive director of vehicle engineering for hybrids, electric vehicles and batteries, left to start a consulting firm. A month later, Frank Weber, the German-born engineer in charge of the Volt program, announced his return to Germany. He was named Opel's vice president of global product planning in late November.

Gray worked for GM as a high school senior in 1980. She has directed a variety of engine and transmission activities in more than 25 years at the automaker.

You can reach Rick Kranz at [email protected].

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100224/OEM02/100229923/1261#ixzz0gW5nMohj

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
just as long as shes not going to like toyota, or like honda to advance their programs, we're good.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This is interesting. These guys are walking away from GM. Does this mean that electrics are more likely to be developed by whole new car companies? Is the Volt going to wind up a gold-plated white elephant?

Most interesting.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Or maybe they are hoping to cash in on a higher paying job outside of GM since they have pay restrictions, learn what they can at GM and go somehere else and make more money.

·
Registered
986 Posts
She's an executive, big deal. It's not like they're losing some whiz kid engineer.
I beg to differ. Here's a profile of her from IEEE "Spectrum" magazine from 2008. If you're not familiar with "Spectrum", it's the premier journal of the IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the main EE professional organization globally. This woman is a top flight engineer:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/advanced-cars/battery-czar

I think it is a big loss.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hope GM had her sign a non-disclosure agreement.......

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Volt is almost to market. I'm not worried about leadership leaving. She probably wanted to continue to influence the green market by developing new products and share what she learned with a company that prioritizes the technology with which she has grown so familiar.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most likely she is going for more money. Corporate loyalty disappeared along with the pension system. Typically the new company will more than match any deferred bonuses she is giving up.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,740 Posts
Is this a new GMI record for resurrecting an old thread? 11 years and 5 months? :unsure:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Is this a new GMI record for resurrecting an old thread? 11 years and 5 months? :unsure:
Indeed!

FWIW, based on LinkedIn, she went to Atieva (which is now Lucid) when she left GM in 2010. Looks like she is now President of "LG Energy Solution Michigan Inc. Tech Center".

·
Registered
44,163 Posts
Most likely she is going for more money. Corporate loyalty disappeared along with the pension system. Typically the new company will more than match any deferred bonuses she is giving up.
She's had a great career and is now CEO of LG Chem.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
She's had a great career and is now CEO of LG Chem.
To be precise, she was the CEO of LG Chem Power (a US subsidiary of LG Chem), not LG Chem itself, until December '20. Her current role is what I mentioned above.

Reactions: mgescuro
1 - 18 of 18 Posts