GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Olympics are over, what are your percpetions of GM's Olympic advertising?

Overall, I was pleased. Seems GM had a lock on advertising. I saw few, if any, competitior adverts.

I would have liked to see GM take the opportunity to advertise the Astra. A very capable "cute-hatch". More luxuriously appointed than the Mazda 3.

I was impressed with how they highlighted all the models.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I agree, the ads were very good... but they should have emphasized more on the Astra, Cobalt, Aveo, G5, etc.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see many car-specific ads, mostly just "GM" ads... not really sure how effective those are but I did like them.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
There is no doubt that they had a sizeable advertising presence. I'm so sure that they were as effective as the could've been.

For those who are interested, i found two of the ads on youtube.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I enjoyed everything except the confusing Chevy Traverse ad.
My wife was completely not understanding it until today. The good-looking guy, who is sensitive and cleans toilets, irons, and remembers anninversaries, is "Everything you have ever wanted" like the Traverse. Definately not aimed at men. They need a less clever and more direct ad for the Traverse.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
I actually thought GM had some great ads during these Olympics.
They weren't the stupid GM ads that we'd come to see.

I would have liked to see more ads for other cars like Astra or CTS or G8. But, this was really good for GM.

I remember during the Athens Olympics in 2004, the GM ads were lames... "Introducing, the first ever... Pontiac G6..." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree, the ads were very good... but they should have emphasized more on the Astra, Cobalt, Aveo, G5, etc.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see many car-specific ads, mostly just "GM" ads... not really sure how effective those are but I did like them.
Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle specific ad from GM. Well, besides the overly in-your-face Mellancamp "This is our country" Silverado ads.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
I almost wish GM had pushed Buick more what with Buick's huge presence in China and all...
GM would be limited in the level of advertising they can do because they are not a worldwide sponsor/partner of the Olympics. They sponsor the US Olympic team.

It's Olympic rules.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I agree with the other posts here -- the advertising was generally very good.

I particularly liked the Malibu ads and the progression over time that ends with the Volt.

But I also agree with Hitman1970 on the Traverse ad being rather silly, especially since it says absolutely nothing specific about the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
34,350 Posts
I thought they did not do a good comparative adds with toyota, and honda.

My ideal ad would include, the mileage of XFE vs. Toyota and Warranty info, a sweeping interior shot of the non nav camry vs. a sweeping interior shot of Malibu, then there would be onstar vs. nothing, and pricing comparison, msrp only

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I enjoyed everything except the confusing Chevy Traverse ad.
My wife was completely not understanding it until today. The good-looking guy, who is sensitive and cleans toilets, irons, and remembers anniversaries, is "Everything you have every wanted" like the Traverse. Definitely not aimed at men. They need a less clever and more direct ad for the Traverse.
Someone should have been fired over that ad. I don't know of a single person who saw that ad (men and women) who didn't immediately say "WTF was that?"

The gas pumps ads where they are secretly "attacking" and "vandalizing" cars is a cute concept and does get the message across... but could we possibly make the spots any more grainy and hard to watch... Ya I get it they are supposed to be security camera... But a nice "beauty shot" of the car at the end would have been better.

And the ad where the Car designer takes a full sized clay model of a 1/2 ton
Pick up an carves it down to a new Malibu is almost as stupid as the man ironing a pink dress. What that says to me is, Our trucks are big, heavy, thirsty... and the Malibu is a chip off of the ol' block. (Swing and a miss)

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I thought the GM and Malibu ads were excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts