GM Inside News Forum banner

GM's New Small Global Sedan (US: Chevy Cruze) Goes On Sale In Korea

8K views 62 replies 42 participants last post by  benroethig 
#1 ·
Link: http://www.autonews.com/article/20081029/ANA02/810299979/1078/rss01&rssfeed=rss01

PHOTO AT LINK

Gary Anglebrandt - Automotive News - October 29, 2008 - 1:54 pm ET

SEOUL -- General Motors' new global small sedan, which will be sold as the Chevrolet Cruze in the United States, went on sale here today.

In Korea, the car is called the Daewoo Lacetti. Its 1.6-liter engine produces 114 hp and is available with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.

The Cruze was expected to replace the Chevrolet Cobalt in 2010 in North America. But sources at GM say it could be delayed until 2011 to help the company conserve cash. The car was scheduled to go on sale in March in Europe to replace the Daewoo Lacetti and Nubira.

GM has scheduled Cruze production in St. Petersburg, Russia; Lordstown, Ohio; and Gunsan, South Korea.

Full article and photo at link.

See less See more
#20 ·
excellent point, I love this car! It has everything a cobalt doesn't and more. I can't wait to see what the SS version is going to be like. If gm uses the same setup in the Cruze as they did with the Cobalt SS and with this interior, I know what car i am saving up for.

And for the " it looks like a Accord" comments, I agree but i find the new accord to actually be a pretty good looking car. If the cruze has half the success the accord has had, then happier days await GM.

#19 ·
Where is the Cruze being built?

#29 ·
Thanks for the additional photos. That black one is sweet :dro: (or is it a dark burgundy). I would love to have it here sooner as well. Can't wait to see an SS Cruze. But hey, if the Cobalt is selling well and all of the mags and online reviewers keep writing such good things about it, might as well let it ride.

I may be out on a limb here, but I think the Cruze has a previous Mazda 3-eque look about it. I'm not as big on the new 3 anyway, so this is a good direction for Chevy.

#31 ·
This car has a very contemporary design - the first Korean car after the Genesis where you would't cringe looking at it from certain angles. Big improvement on the current Lacetti.

I see a lot of the WTCC(?) concept car from a few years back in this. This and things like the Captiva/Antara show if you give GMDAT designers the encouragement and freedom they can produce pretty cool cars.

I think this will be a big improvement on the current Lacetti/Viva. If the new motors are capable and it rides and handles decently a few Mazda and Honda execs might just feel a trickle of cold sweat....

#36 ·
No matter how good the Cruze (ugh) will be, and personally I think its going to be mid-pack and trail the Civic, Mazda 3, and Euro Focus, the name will kill sales.
First off, they have to get people to recognize a new name-again.
Secondly, the name is awful.
If Wagoner had a brain he would keep the name Cobalt or go with a heritage name. Of course we all know Wagoner has no brains.

#42 ·
The 1.4 Turbo may be an engine in search of a car. Or many cars.
How about a "T/A" -Turbo Aveo, a lightweight miata rival, the "S/T" a Spyder Turbo, and a tiny coupe, the MiniTurbo.
Move it upstream for a small alpha coupe called the TurboLite, the possibilities are nearly endless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.