GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are just my opinions on each of GM's divisions; some are common some may not be.

Chevrolet
It is the most important GM division. It has been the number 1 selling brand in America for so many years. It has always stood for affordability and dependability. Chevrolet should not take a new or radical direction.
The Good: Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Corvette, Equinox, Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Colorado, and Silverado.
The Bad: SSR (it is so big and bulky in person, interior has no appeal either), Aveo (Korean PoS that disgraces the Chevy bowtie), Tracker, S-10, Blazer, Uplander, and Venture.
The Could be Better: Monte Carlo (exterior styling needs to be redone) and Trailblazer (only an average SUV but it does sell very well).
The Should be Added: Camaro (RWD affordable sporty coupe, base model should be for looks with an adequate engine, performance models available for those who want them. I do not miss the styling of the discontinued model, though).

Saturn
They produce cheap but safe, comfortable, and reliable vehicles. A good brand.

Pontiac
It is considered the sporty, performance brand of GM. But, it does not fit those shoes very well. It should keep its role but do a better job of it. A good revival from Pontiac could mean a lot to GM.
The Good: Solstice, G6, Grand Prix, and Vibe.
The Bad: Sunfire (nothing there the Cobalt won’t offer), Aztec (the sooner its replaced the better), Montana (I don’t see the point of the sporty, performance brand having a van).
The Could be Better: Bonneville (Why have two full-size FWD sedans? What about going RWD?) GTO (Though it does perform it looks so much like the Grand Prix coupe they discontinued a few years ago. It needs better styling.)
The Should be Added: Affordable and restyled GTO (Offer the GTO with a small and affordable engine in addition to the performance model. GTO and before mentioned Camaro should not be styled the same, though.)

GMC
For a long time it was a generic clone of Chevy Trucks. Since they were restyled in ’99 GMC has improved and might even be considered a luxury truck division in comparison to Chevrolet. GMC should continue to move in its own direction.
The Good: All their vehicle offerings; the Denali line.
The Bad: The division is cloned from Chevrolet.
The Could be Better: When the division gets redesigned in ’06-’07 it should be styled differently than Chevrolet. It should appeal to a minority demographic since Chevrolet appeals to the mainstream masses.
The Should be Added: GMC Trident (My idea, a small, off-road capable SUV, about the size of the Equinox but with its own styling.)

Buick
Vehicles from this division should be about the ride and not the performance. All models should have leather, wood-grained accents, climate control, and an excellent sound system. However the hood should have nothing more than a dependable V6. With only an adequate engine Buick could offer an unrivaled riding experience on an affordable level.
The Good: LeSabre, Park Avenue, and Rendezvous.
The Bad: Terraza (Why does this division have a van? Get rid of it.)
The Could be Better: LaCrosse (Interior is excellent, but exterior leaves much to be desired.) Rainier (Interior should be brought up to par.)
The Should be Added: Velite (The idea is right. I plush four-seat coupe/convertible would fit well in this division.)

Cadillac
It’s the ultimate in luxury and performance. The Cadillac name and badge carry an awe with the American people. The new designs of the past three years are excellent. Cadillac is on the perfect course.
The Good: All vehicles once STS replaces Seville.
The Bad: You find something.
The Could be Better: More V-Series as quick as you can.
The Should be Added: A more affordable, by Cadillac standards, Coupe/Convertible.

Oldsmobile R.I.P.
May the most generic brand in America Rest In Peace. I can't say I'll miss it.

Those are my views and opinions agree or disagree if you like.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
a few points...

why do you consider the aveo a POS car? why does it degrade the bowtie? is it because it's korean, or because of its quality scores (i haven't seen info either way on this car), or because of its specs? it's selling well, and seems on-par with what kia and hyundai offer at the bottom of the spectrum. just curious to know where your opinion comes from.

would you say saturn is doing what it should then? ion sales are dismal, L series non-existent. vue is holding its own, but can a car division survive on one suv? when 2/3 of the lineup is foundering, i can't really consider the brand "good". do you mean the idea or concept of saturn is good?

perhaps you're right... there doesn't need to be a pontiac (aka sporty) minivan. there are no other examples out there. none of the minivans currently available offer even a pretense of sport. DCX had a concept sportvan a few years back, but it never appeared. in trying to bridge the gap between minivan and SUV, though, perhaps there's room for some sorta pontiac SUVan. especially since the lambda crossover is apparently going to GMC. though perhaps you disagree, and feel that pontiac simply doesn't need a large people mover. do you think pontiac should have an SUV (just one prettier than the aztek), or none at all?

i think GMC is heading in the direction you suggest. the unique crossover (originally slated for pontiac) will be good. it already has the XUV, and the denali lineup (like you mentioned). should GMC ONLY be the denali-type vehicles? should GMC go lux, or should they offer more in the 'professional grade' (ie most powerful work trucks) department?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Chevy: you hit the nail on the head.

Saturn: um.. make them a fleet sales only division.

Pontiac: Again you preaty much hit the mark. If pontiac is the sports divison, why did they never get a Corvette type car? they also dont need vans, and SUVs. Thats what chevy is for.

GMC: Yep, Amazing work trucks. Thats all they should be because thats what they do best at.

Buick: One up from pontiac quaity and more towned down styling, but a notch below Caddy. Give them a couple of good performance cars (they have a history with performance. the GS, the GN, ect. I would love to see a new WildCat powered by the LS6 or one of the mid level Northstar engines.)

Caddy: Doing their job and getting better.

Olds: Let me have that brand, give me decent funding and I'm preaty sure I could make it profitable. Toranado could be the flagship, the intrigue could be the lower mark, the alero would be entry level. Then throw a wagon or somthing in for the people with kids, and market it correctly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by paul8488@Jul 6 2004, 07:37 PM
a few points...

why do you consider the aveo a POS car? why does it degrade the bowtie? is it because it's korean, or because of its quality scores (i haven't seen info either way on this car), or because of its specs? it's selling well, and seems on-par with what kia and hyundai offer at the bottom of the spectrum. just curious to know where your opinion comes from.

would you say saturn is doing what it should then? ion sales are dismal, L series non-existent. vue is holding its own, but can a car division survive on one suv? when 2/3 of the lineup is foundering, i can't really consider the brand "good". do you mean the idea or concept of saturn is good?

perhaps you're right... there doesn't need to be a pontiac (aka sporty) minivan. there are no other examples out there. none of the minivans currently available offer even a pretense of sport. DCX had a concept sportvan a few years back, but it never appeared. in trying to bridge the gap between minivan and SUV, though, perhaps there's room for some sorta pontiac SUVan. especially since the lambda crossover is apparently going to GMC. though perhaps you disagree, and feel that pontiac simply doesn't need a large people mover. do you think pontiac should have an SUV (just one prettier than the aztek), or none at all?

i think GMC is heading in the direction you suggest. the unique crossover (originally slated for pontiac) will be good. it already has the XUV, and the denali lineup (like you mentioned). should GMC ONLY be the denali-type vehicles? should GMC go lux, or should they offer more in the 'professional grade' (ie most powerful work trucks) department?
Part of my comment about the Aveo came from my disdain for all riceburners, which the Aveo is even if it is also a Chevy. But I also can't stand to look at it. Granted it is supposed to be at the very bottom on the value list, but I can't stand either the interior or exterior of this car.

Your second point about Saturn is the one I was going for. The Saturn brand is a good idea. I also think that a lot of pontential Saturn ION and L-series buyers choose the Cavalier instead. They probably trust Chevy more than Saturn (Maybe that comment means that Saturn is not doing its job of offering vehicles that are all about customer service and owning experience). A friend of mine has an ION 3-door. I think it is a fine vehicle and that opinion is from riding in the backseat (plank?) with two other guys.

I do not think there is a place for a minivan or a large SUV in Pontiac's lineup. I do think there is a place for a vehicle like the Torrent, if it is what I hope/expect it to be.

When I think of GMC I first think "professional grade" trucks that work hard. Which is why I am totally against it adding cars and small vehicles (That is why it is partnered with Pontiac). But then I think of the Denali line. Who thought of that? It never entered my mind until it appeared and I love it. GMC should stay just how it is.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i agree on most points, but unsure about saturn. IMO saturn doesnt really have an identity right now, and is in desperate need for one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts