GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sales by General Motors Canada crashed in June while Toyota Canada said its brands set records.

In both cases, the companies said consumers showed they want fuel-efficient or green cars. GM still has a large line of pickup trucks, which buyers have been avoiding, while Toyota said its hybrids did very well.

GM sales fell 23.8 per cent in June, the company said Wednesday. Truck sales were down 35 per cent, and car sales by almost 12 per cent.

The company sold 32,355 vehicles last month, compared with 42,466 in June 2007.

Toyota said it sold 22,428 Toyota and Lexus cars and trucks in June, up 8.8 per cent from June 2007.

Sales of Toyota hybrid cars rose by 68.6 per cent to 1,391 units while Lexus hybrids were up by 97.9 per cent, with 192 units being sold.

“GM Canada's June sales reflected the significant ongoing market impact of rising gas prices and the resulting further consumer shift toward cars and smaller crossovers,” Marc Comeau, vice-president of sales, service and marketing, said in a news release.

Year-to-date, GM's sales are down 11.3 per cent, with cars virtually flat and trucks down almost 21 per cent.

GM said smaller, fuel-efficient cars such as the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac Wave were selling well. The Chevy Impala, Pontiac G6 and Cadillac also did well.

Honda Canada's June sales fell two per cent, to 16,518 units, because of a supply shortage of the fuel-efficient Civic and Fit, Jerry Chenkin, executive vice-president, said in a release Wednesday.

Sales at the Honda and Acura divisions were 14,918 and 1,600 units, respectively.

BMW Group Canada, Mercedes-Benz Canada and Subaru Canada Inc. all reported record sales for June.

BMW said June sales were 3,564 units, Mercedes-Benz said it sold a total of 2,516 units, and Subaru sold 1,822 units.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/07/02/june-autos.html
http://www.desrosiers.ca/Monthly Updates/sales.pdf

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Still convinced that the GM plant shutdown announcement wasn't a PR disaster? Further proof that it sure didn't help truck sales.

GM's light trucks were down 35% for the month, 21% for the first half of the year. To put that in perspective, ~8000 of the ~13000 light truck market sales loss belongs to GM.

For the sizeable Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, and Aveo sales increases, having car sales stay roughly level says something about the rest of the lineup, overlap, and customer preception.

Ford aside, good month for just about everyone else.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
GM's light truck market share dropped from 28.5% to 22% for the month, 28.5% to 24% for the first 6 months
So whats the next highest percentage? If its a significant distance to #2 in truck sales then GM having the largest decline isn't to be unexpected.

If gas all of a sudden was $1.00 with no signs of going up again and the hybrid industry tanked, I'm guessing Toyota's hybrids would take the biggest hit % wise, since they are probably the bulk of all hybrid sales.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So whats the next highest percentage? If its a significant distance to #2 in truck sales then GM having the largest decline isn't to be unexpected.

If gas all of a sudden was $1.00 with no signs of going up again and the hybrid industry tanked, I'm guessing Toyota's hybrids would take the biggest hit % wise, since they are probably the bulk of all hybrid sales.
Not sure, as I don't have other company's news released bookmarked, and can't seem to locate a few of their Canadian results. At first, I would guess Ford, as the F-150 sells more than either GM truck (the Ram may be higher than both GM's too), and their crossovers are doing decently well. However, if a company can LOSE 6 market share points in 6 months, in the segment which they have the most entries (from HHR to Silverado), and used to be strong in, something isn't right.

Gas at $1.00/gallon is a ridiculous dream right now (heck, $1.00/litre is looking horridly unlikely). Many hybrid buyers don't buy hybrids to better balance their books. That, and the hybrid market is MUCH smaller than the truck market. The only hybrids I see on a semi-regular basis are the Prius, Camry, and previous generation Vue. Canada has typically embraced small car sales (look at the Corolla, 3, Focus, Yaris, Civic, and Aveo sales) over hybrids anyways.

Truck sales aren't going to get back to where they used to. We won't see the million-sold year that some expected out of the F150 a few years ago.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Don't look at me, I didn't do it. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not sure, as I don't have other company's news released bookmarked, and can't seem to locate a few of their Canadian results. At first, I would guess Ford, as the F-150 sells more than either GM truck (the Ram may be higher than both GM's too), and their crossovers are doing decently well. However, if a company can LOSE 6 market share points in 6 months, in the segment which they have the most entries (from HHR to Silverado), and used to be strong in, something isn't right.

Gas at $1.00/gallon is a ridiculous dream right now (heck, $1.00/litre is looking horridly unlikely). Many hybrid buyers don't buy hybrids to better balance their books. That, and the hybrid market is MUCH smaller than the truck market. The only hybrids I see on a semi-regular basis are the Prius, Camry, and previous generation Vue. Canada has typically embraced small car sales (look at the Corolla, 3, Focus, Yaris, Civic, and Aveo sales) over hybrids anyways.

Truck sales aren't going to get back to where they used to. We won't see the million-sold year that some expected out of the F150 a few years ago.
I agree that its not a good thing and something isn't right, but trucks aren't selling anywhere right now so of course GM's sales are going to go down.

I know 2 people with Prius' purchased in the last year, both bought them because of gas prices. When they first came out a teacher of mine bought one because he's greenie.

I was just giving a scenario that would cause hybrid sales to possibly tumble like trucks, I don't think gas will ever be that cheap.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Toyota just cut the price of the Prius in Canada buy $1900. At least that's what it says in the paper.

GM is in trouble. Still have not seen a Malibu Hybrid?
Well I haven't seen a lot of new Malibu's yet in the Waterloo region. I've spotted maybe 5 so far. One of them was a hybrid.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Toyota is diverting its Priuses to Canada because of the weak dollar.
- and Canadian Government provided incentives - whose overall program appears to have been written by Toyota themselves - and artificially and incorrectly favors the Prius..

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Toyota just cut the price of the Prius in Canada buy $1900. At least that's what it says in the paper.
With these fuel prices, the Canadian Govermental incentives, and demand running the way it is in the States this is not a sign of strength.

GM is in trouble.
I guess we all are going to shift to Canada now - given how badly Toyota performed in the States compared to expectations versus GM, right ?

Oh yea - sure they are.

Lets see, outsold Toyota in Canada by approx. 10,000 units.

Outsold Toyota in the United States by approx 70,000 units

And this....
.while Lexus hybrids (all types) were up by 97.9 per cent, with 192 units being sold.
:lmao::lmao: - that's for both the 97.5% and the 192.

Don't forget what this says about June 2007 ie less than 100, I believe.

Now, what was that about the Malibu Hybrid ?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I personally think the Oshawa truck plant shutdown is ruining GM here. I see more new Tundras and Superduties than GM pickups here in Toronto.
Toyota's truck sales are down more than Ford and GM. Something that happened a month ago it certainly will not affect a market nearly that much. GM's HDs are still the best seller in Canada.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I personally think the Oshawa truck plant shutdown is ruining GM here. I see more new Tundras and Superduties than GM pickups here in Toronto.
I have seen 3 Tundras in total since they hit the road. 3. There are 3 GM trucks parked in my cul-de-sac.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts