GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM's Cadillac aims to grow international sales
By Michael Ellis

WARREN, Mich. (Reuters) - General Motors Corp.'s Cadillac division believes sales outside North America could reach about 20,000 vehicles a year by 2010, the head of the luxury car division said on Tuesday.

Much of the growth will come from China and Europe where Cadillac is studying plans to build a new car to add to the lineup, Cadillac officials said.

"We'd like (sales) to be 20,000 outside North America by the end of the decade," Mark LaNeve, Cadillac's general manager, told reporters at a briefing here.

Cadillac currently sells about 5,000 vehicles a year outside North America, with a major portion of exports from its lineup of Escalade sport utility vehicles to the Middle East.

Jay Spenchian, Cadillac marketing director of global products, said GM is considering building in Europe a car that would be smaller than its CTS sedan. That car could arrive in about three years if GM decides to build it.

"We're still in the evaluation stage," Spenchian told Reuters.

Last year, Cadillac appointed the Dutch car dealership group Kroymans Corp. B.V. to spearhead an effort to build 25 Cadillac "Experience Center" dealerships in major cities across Europe.

LaNeve said sales in Europe could total 10,000 by the end of the decade.

GM is also planning on building Cadillacs in China this year, part of its plans to expand the luxury car brand in the world's fastest-growing market. LaNeve said there is great potential for sales in China, but he declined to forecast how many vehicles could be sold there.

Last November, GM announced plans to boost production in China with the intention of manufacturing Cadillacs there.

"We're going to have a global (vehicle production) footprint pretty quickly," he said.

LaNeve said Cadillac is still studying expanding its lineup with the addition of an ultra-luxurious sedan that would be priced at up to $150,000.

"I think we'll do one," he said.

source

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
"GM is also planning on building Cadillacs in China this year, part of its plans to expand the luxury car brand in the world's fastest-growing market. "

A Cadillac made in China. Whatever. I think this is a mistake. Why not export from the USA? I wonder if the China Cadillac will be unique to the market. Maybe they will rebadge a Daewoo car and hope no one notices.

Mark

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
"We'd like (sales) to be 20,000 outside North America by the end of the decade," Mark LaNeve, Cadillac's general manager, told reporters at a briefing here.

So apparently this won't be an ambitious effort...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Mar 10 2004, 07:51 PM
"GM is also planning on building Cadillacs in China this year, part of its plans to expand the luxury car brand in the world's fastest-growing market. "

A Cadillac made in China. Whatever. I think this is a mistake. Why not export from the USA? I wonder if the China Cadillac will be unique to the market. Maybe they will rebadge a Daewoo car and hope no one notices.

Mark
those are fighting words buddy!

as for it not being anbitous, think about it, they want to sell 4X the amount of cars outside the US in the next 6 years. thats a lot...

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Mar 10 2004, 02:51 PM

Mark
Put it this way... if Cadillac can make teh same cars at a high quality in China... for cheaper.... then by all means, go for it. It means better profit margins for GM... especially with Lexus entering he same markets.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Mar 10 2004, 03:07 PM

You kidding right?
4X the amount of cars? In a world that still thinks of Cadillacs as "big floaty land yachts?"

It's pretty ambitious.
And lets not forget the sub-CTS Caddy that will be produced in Trollhattan.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
GM is doing a good job of changing Cadillac's image. Show me a car within Cadillac range that rides like a boat, with exception of DTS they are all outstanding cars and DTS replacement is not that far anyways. However, having said that; if GM is truly serious about world being aware of Cadillac being on same level as Merc, BMW and others, I think they need to be in F1. Especially now that they are moving into the Asian market and that's exactly where F1 is trying to expand. But everything has to be done in due time without rushing, better do everything step by step and not spend money on everything at once. F1 is very expensive though with the $30 mil entrance fee and a budget around 250mil for a competitive team. But then look at Jag, they manage to run in top 8 and spending around 180mil a year.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Mar 10 2004, 09:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Mar 10 2004, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgagneguam@Mar 10 2004, 03:07 PM

You kidding right?
4X the amount of cars? In a world that still thinks of Cadillacs as "big floaty land yachts?"

It's pretty ambitious.
And lets not forget the sub-CTS Caddy that will be produced in Trollhattan.

:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
"You kidding right?" No, I'm actually not kidding. I'm pretty strong in math, so I can appreciate 20,000 is four times their current non-USA sales. I can also appreciate that multipying a relatively small number by another small number yields a fairly small number. 20,000 in a world of 5 billion people is not much.

Contrast that against other luxury automakers. BMW plans to increase its China sales by more than 20,000 by 2008; it's the same number in a shorter amount of time in just one country. That's a country where people aren't aware of BMW, Cadillac or any other luxury make to any great extent.

"In a world that still thinks of Cadillacs as "big floaty land yachts?"" I think that more appropriately refers to the USA. If Cadillacs don't really sell around the world, how would people recognize Cadillacs as "big floaty land yachts?" The argument doesn't follow.

I say the goals aren't ambitious mostly because I think Cadillac has strong products (CTS, XLR, SRX, upcoming STS) to export. I cannot imagine that the non-USA luxury buying crowd is only going to consume 20,000 Cadillacs per year. Perhaps Cadillac is being cautious in its estimates?

Again, Cadillac's goals are not ambitious.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
In January I attended the Helsinki ( Finland ) International Car Show.
The local GM rep seemed really excited about selling the CTS, and
gauging the amount of people viewing, and wanting to sit in it, I'd say
Cadillac is going in the right direction in turning that bad perception
of bloaty- old persons car around. I've seen a few on the road here
already, even at 50,000 euro's.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Oh by the way.... the current R&T... or was it Automobile... has an artist concept drawing of the Epsilon based sub-CTS.
My jaw dropped when I saw how goooooooooooooooood it looked. They need to bring that sucker to the US!!!! Just to pi$$-off those BMW 3-series owners...

:woot2:

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The artist rendition of the sub CTS Cadillac is unbelievable. I would buy one in a heart-beat. The styling, size and features would be killer. Put in a smaller version of the 3.6L V6, AWD and a killer interior and they would sell everyone they made.

Besides the fact they say that they will not sell a cheaper car than the CTS in the US, there are a couple of other reasons to doubt we will ever see a car that desireable in a US showroom:

No one would buy the Pontiac G6
No one would buy the Saab 93

The old guard at Cadillac says they want a younger audience, but they really don't. A loaded CTS is $40K. This small Cadillac would compete head on with the TSX. Believe me, Cadillac would sell a boat load of the smaller car... and would win over future buyers who can't afford a CTS.

If anyone at GM/Cadillac is reading this.... PLEASE BRING THE SMALL CADILLAC TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dose anyone have any pics of the Sub-CTS car? Also along the lines of a smaller Cadillac, I believe that the size of the car should not matter so much as the car should embody all of the current (new) Cadillac values, such as being fun to drive, good looking, and luxurious. This dose have it's limits but Cadillac should not limit it's self to 5-Serise size cars.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by boblutzfan@Mar 11 2004, 05:58 PM

No one would buy the Pontiac G6
No one would buy the Saab 93
OH heck yeah!!!!

As much as I Loooove the 9-3... if Cadillac came out with the sub-CTS looking ANYWHERE mear that artist's rendition, sign me up IMMEDIATELY! :woot2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
To be competitive in China you MUST build there. That might mean assembly from CKD kits or full production. The import duties in that country make it "a mistake" to not built there. VW and BMW already build there and are having success. If GM doesn't built Cadillacs there they will be left behind. I have also read about the Holden Statesman being assembled there to be sold as a Buick soon.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Does anyone have the link to that Epsilon-based sub-CTS drawing?

Me, I just hope that if they do an Epsilon (i.e., FWD in its heart of hearts) car for Cadillac, that they carefully study Jaguar's utter failure with the X-type which, despite looking more like a Jaguar than either of its two bigger more expensive brothers, has bombed in the marketplace because it just doesn't come across as a real Jag. Jaguar's image is so solid, though, that the X-type will not hurt it.

By contrast, Cadillac, with its new image still fresh and a little unsettled, had better be damned careful about moving down-market. The wrong car, rather than looking like the mistaken aberation from the Jaguar brand that the X-type has proven, will wind up doing permanent damage to Cadillac's still congealing new brand image.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts