GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM's Best Selling Car Is This Funny-Looking Little Van
Jalopnichttp://jalopnik.com/gms-best-selling-car-is-this-funny-looking-little-van-473671132
April 16, 2013
By: JASON TORCHINSKY

I love funny little vans. I don't care who knows it. Funny little vans took me to India, and I think they could be key to getting more young people interested in cars. And it looks like I'm not alone, because a funny little van was, globally, GM's best selling vehicle.

According to the Polk new-vehicle registration data, the Wuling Zhiguang (Sunshine) is the world's fourth most popular nameplate, having sold 768,870 units in 2012. That's 107,545 more than GM's next closest car, the #8 Chevy Cruze. That's an awful lot of little vans.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Funny how when GM owned a third of Suzuki and Isuzu, those companies' products were NEVER considered "GM cars"...

but when it comes to chest-beating, GM fans can't lump Wuling (which GM only owns a third of) sales in fast enough.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts

Who else thinks it would be cool if GM drove a fleet of Wuling Sunshines to the North Korean border on a peace mission, had a choir of hippies get out and sing "Let the Sunshine in" to the North Korean border guards?

In seriousness though:

I believe GM never owned more than 20% of Suzuki, but it had owned 49% of Isuzu, more than any other non-Japanese automaker in another Japanese automaker (even Renault owns less of Nissan). And they still failed to make a dent in the Japanese market, while VW became Japan's most popular import car make without ever owning a piece of anything Japanese (I don't think they even owned a piece of Nissan when they had a licensing agreement).

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Who else thinks it would be cool if GM drove a fleet of Wuling Sunshines to the North Korean border on a peace mission, had a choir of hippies get out and sing "Let the Sunshine in" to the North Korean border guards?

In seriousness though:

I believe GM never owned more than 20% of Suzuki, but it had owned 49% of Isuzu, more than any other non-Japanese automaker in another Japanese automaker (even Renault owns less of Nissan). And they still failed to make a dent in the Japanese market, while VW became Japan's most popular import car make without ever owning a piece of anything Japanese (I don't think they even owned a piece of Nissan when they had a licensing agreement).
I thought VW owned a piece of Isuzu for a short while for some collaborating engine development?
And I say yeah baby to the peace mission.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Funny how when GM owned a third of Suzuki and Isuzu, those companies' products were NEVER considered "GM cars"...

but when it comes to chest-beating, GM fans can't lump Wuling (which GM only owns a third of) sales in fast enough.
No chest-beating going on here, more like embarrassment that this turd box is associated with GM

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's interesting in that it provides a sense of just how much sales growth is coming from outside traditional markets. It seems the gameplan is to grow aggressively in BRIC countries, while trying to both hang on to market share and increase transaction prices elsewhere.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Developing nations have different needs. If you were in China working at an iPod factory, I don't think you could afford a new Malibu.
If I remember right they would have to save about 3 months of their wages to BUY an iPod (might have been iPhone, can't remember the story)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
For people trying to get into the middle class, airbags are the last thing on their minds, they will die trying. Can you imagine a villager being able to drive his kids to town at night for ice cream? Its like Christmas and then some.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I live in the U.S.A. and I can't afford a new Malibu so what's your point?? lol
His point is, every nation is different in needs, price range, even style preference is different. Personally, I think it's ugly... but if it's the world's 4th best selling vehicle, clearly China loves it. They very well could say the Silverado in your sig is the ugliest thing around. ;)

·
Premium Member
37,221 Posts

Were Jags considered Fords? You are seeking rational thought. Quit!

In seriousness though:

You're ignoring the bribes.

Developing nations have different needs. If you were in China working at an iPod factory, I don't think you could afford a new Malibu.
Not to mention it doesn't have enough rear leg room, and I'm sure you'd be displeased that it finished sixth in a MT comparo!

For people trying to get into the middle class, airbags are the last thing on their minds, they will die trying. Can you imagine a villager being able to drive his kids to town at night for ice cream? Its like Christmas and then some.
Yeah. Five grand for one of these is Big Bucks.

This reminds me a lot of the VW Microbus. Except this has some real power, probably handles 200% better and is 300% safer and more economical.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.