GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if the answer already came to light, but I was confused had wanted to look further into it.

So everyone has read the article by IL where they say the engine in the Volt does not recharged the battery while driving.. Link:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=132112

I was confused because on the Chevy and GM websites they say the engine WILL recharged the battery while driving... Link:http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

So I decided to write GM/Chevy to find out if the engine actaully recharged the battery while driving or not.

This is the answer they gave me:

"The engine generator for the Volt maintains the battery's charge as well as providing electricity to the electric drive unit. The Volt uses electricity to move the wheels at all times and speeds. For trips up to 40 miles, the Volt is powered only by electricity stored in its lithium-ion battery. When the battery's energy is depleted, a gasoline/E85-powered engine generator seamlessly provides electricity to power the Volt's electric drive unit while simultaneously sustaining the charge of the battery. This mode of operation extends the range of the Volt for several hundred additional miles, until the vehicle's battery can be charged again. Unlike a conventional battery-electric vehicle, the Volt eliminates range anxiety, giving the confidence and peace of mind that the driver will not be stranded by a depleted battery."

So I take it as the engine does not recharged the battery.. just "sustains" the charge (at about 30% -GM says the battery will never be drained under 30%) so that the battery can continue providing electricty to the electric drive units.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Sounds right (and reasonable) to me. Nice work, and thanks for posting the "answer"! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
There's been a correction to the correction. Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, but the generator does charge the battery, but it's not its primary role.

As the Volt Turns.

According to Lauckner, the battery will receive power from the gas engine when load conditions are light (as in, not under acceleration). When the battery comes back up to a certain level of charge (that figure is still the subject of development at GM), the gas engine can cycle off and the Volt can run for an unspecified period on the stored battery power.

Thus, if through conservative driving one stores up enough juice, it'd be electric only again. Nifty.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
only the idiots that wrote the original article could wrote something like that, it was logical that the generator can recharge the batteries just like a regular alternator do it

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
only the idiots that wrote the original article could wrote something like that, it was logical that the generator can recharge the batteries just like a regular alternator do it
Easy to say now, but the earliest information about the Volt's generator (that I can recall) was that it would keep charging the batteries, and the batteries would be able to power the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts