GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jalopnik

For all my CUE haters

Rumors have been floating around about an Android-powered infotainment system coming to General Motors vehicles soon, and now we've got at least one supplier claiming that GM's first implementation of Google's mobile OS is coming in less than two years.

Harman International, which builds everything from headunits to headphones and supplies several automakers with in-car electronics, said during its last earnings call that it landed a $900 million contract from GM to supply its next-generation infotainment system.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Soo does this mean that we are going to get Harman sound systems? Also, Cadillac should use CarPlay!

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Mountain Lion.

Like I said, Apple products are like Fords to me. The minute I touch them things start going wrong.
Have her upgrade to Yosemite. It's new enough to be eligible for the upgrade. Mountain Lion is old.

Far from it. iOS is just now getting features Android has had for year.
...but manages to integrate them into a much faster, more responsive, more attractive OS...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Market share
iOS 15-20%
Android 65-70%

Code
iOS "Walled garden"
Android open source

iOS 7 since Oct 13 90% adoption
Android Kit Kat (4.4) since Oct 13 20% adoption

Malicious actors
iOS <10% target
Android >75% target
Sheer quantity and exploitation access = Android

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have her upgrade to Yosemite. It's new enough to be eligible for the upgrade. Mountain Lion is old.

...but manages to integrate them into a much faster, more responsive, more attractive OS...
Regardless of your opinion. Android is the far better choice for a manufacture, because they can customize the OS w/o having to deal w/ Apple's BS. It's open source just like their current platform.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
For manufacturers, QNX is probably the best choice.
Yup. The next best OS/platform for automotive IVI systems would be some variant embedded Linux, including Android. Fortunately, GM already has experience with Linux based IVI systems (it's used for CUE and the latest iteration of MyLink), and the company is a member of Open Automotive Alliance . It was also a founding member of GENIVI Alliance, but GM doesn't currently appear in that organization's membership list.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Duh they better get with Android everyone has failed to impress when they cater to Apple products because they will play well with no one. I did a custom install of a tablet in my dash once because I like Android.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Are people here really ignoring the fact that GM might get more Harman products?? Maybe a new sound system for Omega is possible?

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Working with Apple is great for Apple however for any company trying to work with them it really is a big limiting factor. Working with Google they can do whatever they want to do, which is why it really is the easy choice to make in these kind of applications.

That and along with features and functionality Apple very often lags behind every once in a while doing something to catch up. Though their products seem to be really good for those who are not at all tech savvy so from that perspective there may be an edge.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.